Numbness and Stable MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbness and Stable MRI?

For about a month now I have been numb from my ribcage down. This came on very suddenly and hasn't gotten much better, even with steroid treatment. I had an MRI last week and the report is claiming that my MS is stable.

MR the cervical spine with and without IV contrast demonstrates largely normal signal and structure to the cervical spinal cord and craniocervical junction. There is a very slight indistinct area of T2 hyperintensity at the midline in the cord at the C2-3 level. This is only hyperintense on T2 sequences and is not hyperintense on FLAIR sequences. There is no contrast enhancement. In retrospect this is stable from the prior exam.

Impression: Stable exam

Can I still experience a relapse with no new lesions? I'm concerned about the T2 hyperintensity that he mentions in the report, but then he says stable. I don't see my neuro until next week for my follow-up visit and I'm concerned. Why am I considered stable when my MS is clearly causing me issues? My numbness is going away in some areas, leaving behind a painful pins and needles sensation and lots of muscle cramps. I can barely walk. Anyone else experience something similar?

Originally posted by meg40185 View Post
    Can I still experience a relapse with no new lesions?
    Hi meg40185

I found this info from an article titled Demystifying MRI's, in the NMSS Momentum Magazine on line:

She adds that it’s also important for people with MS to be aware that disease activity can occur even in the absence of new lesions.

“Even when no new scarring is apparent, the scars that have occurred in the past are still there, and there could be activity occurring underneath the surface”

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...stifying-mris/

The other things that come to mind is whether the numbness could be from a thoracic lesion, or even a back injury?

It will be interesting to hear what your neuro says.

Good luck next week at your neuro appointment, and let us know what you find out.

Hopefully these symptoms subside for you.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi meg40185.

Can I still experience a relapse with no new lesions?
      Yes. The MRI doesn't necessary match up to how we are doing/feeling. You can have a MRI and be doing/feeling fine but the MRI will indicate new and/or active lesions. Or, as you are experiencing; have a relapse and the MRI does not indicate new and/or active lesions.

As an example: I was having a severe exacerbation at the time of my diagnosis but the MRI was clear (no lesions). Part of what I experienced was numbness from the waist down, including the girlie parts. In 2014 I had Internuclear ophthalmoplegia (INO), the MRI and CT did not indicate a problem. Even without MRI evidence my Drs. said it was MS.

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hi meg40185

I found this info from an article titled Demystifying MRI's, in the NMSS Momentum Magazine on line:

She adds that it’s also important for people with MS to be aware that disease activity can occur even in the absence of new lesions.

“Even when no new scarring is apparent, the scars that have occurred in the past are still there, and there could be activity occurring underneath the surface”

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...stifying-mris/

The other things that come to mind is whether the numbness could be from a thoracic lesion, or even a back injury?

It will be interesting to hear what your neuro says.

Good luck next week at your neuro appointment, and let us know what you find out.

Hopefully these symptoms subside for you.

Take Care

Thank you for all of the info! I really appreciate it and I'll be sure to check out the article. Today I am experiencing big time trouble walking. I can't lift my right leg and foot. I have been lucky as I have been gone 7 years with treatment for RRMS and have had not one relapse. I saw my neuro a few weeks ago and he believed this to be a relapse and ordered the MRI. I feel crazy! I hope this all subsides quickly.

Comment

Working...
        X