STD, notice to employer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STD, notice to employer

I am getting ready to file a claim for STD through my employer. I have not officially disclosed my MS diagnosis.

Is it appropriate to give notice to leave immediately or give notice notice for a duration of time.?

Thanks.

When I applied for STD through my employer, once they received the completed form from my physician I was immediately put out on disability. I was required to re-submit a status form completed by my physician approximately monthly to remain on STD. I worked with my Manager and HR thru this process.

Hopefully Jamie Hall will read and reply soon, been awhile since he's posted.

Comment

When I submitted, the physician form had a return to work date. He would leave blank or say undetermined on each update. Unlike surgery or other conditions, recovery from a flare or symptom progression from MS can't be set to a time table. My leave started immediately, following 5 consecutive sick days.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My neurologist wrote the script and it was to, and did, take effect immediately.

If you're well enough to give a two week notice that might be an indication that STD might also be optional.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
          I am getting ready to file a claim for STD through my employer. I have not officially disclosed my MS diagnosis.

Is it appropriate to give notice to leave immediately or give notice notice for a duration of time.?

Thanks.
          Notice is typically given when you are immediately taking leave, and is preferably given immediately following a visit with your neurologist. This way, there is no question that there is medical support for your time off.

Insurers often want claimants to provide a specific period of time for their leave. Unfortunately, MS is rarely that predictable. When possible, I advise my clients to explain the time off as 'pending medical clearance to return' and/or listing the next neurology visit date as a potential return to work date. Nevertheless, should your doctor provide a longer timeframe, there is no issue providing this to the insurer instead.

Good luck!
          Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
          X