MS Exacerbation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Exacerbation

I am currently on day 3 of a steroid pack due to multiple issues I am having. I passed out 5 days ago and it took awhile to get up due to the mental fog. My husband had to help me. I am having extreme pain that feels like my skin is burning and hurts for anything to touch it. I am so dizzy when I first stand up for about a minute and then it kind of subsides. The steroids are making me so moody and depressed and I am weak, in pain and feel like I am having balancing and memory issues. I see the dr tomorrow to see if he wants to seek another treatment for me besides the oral steroids. It has been so long since I have had to do steroids. How long until I find relief? Is this probably just an exacerbation of symptoms or a relapse?
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Hi Mynamegoeshere.

Is this probably just an exacerbation of symptoms or a relapse?
    It's the same thing. An exacerbation means the same as ~ relapse, attack, flare-up. An exacerbation is a worsening of old and/or new symptoms lasting, continuously, for more than 24 - 48 hours.

It has been so long since I have had to do steroids. How long until I find relief?
    Steroids might shorten the length of an exacerbation, but not always. Exacerbations can resolve without the use of steroids. The length of an exacerbation varies, sometimes they simply need to run their course with or without steroids. Steroids so not change the course of the disease.

There are symptom management medications that might be helpful for your symptoms and something you may want to discuss with your Neurologists.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank You

Thank you for explaining. I am not sure why they put me on oral steroids as they have known in the past they make me extremely depressed, often with suicidal thoughts. I don’t feel the same on IV steroids. I am hoping they switch to the IV steroids tomorrow. My Tysabri infusion was supposed to be tomorrow, but they told me to postpone it, if I can even take it at all with these symptoms. I feel so alone, like nobody really, truly understands. Hell, I don’t even understand since it has been so long since I have had to take steroids.
      RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

I am truly sorry Mynamegoeshere1 MS sucks big goose eggs, doesn't it.

Hell, I don’t even understand since it has been so long since I have had to take steroids.
        I know. You go quite some years without an exacerbation and then one hits out of left field and...WTH. Some of my exacerbations were spaced apart by quite some years and each time I had one I was completely caught off guard. I did oral steroids for my first 2 exacerbations and have never used any steroids, including IVSM, since.

I hope your exacerbation is very short in duration
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

In my case, steroids always did change the course of my flares. Every time that I went without steroids, my symptoms just continued to worsen. For me, I was often on a large 5-day dose, followed by a 12-day taper. Symptoms of my flare often didn't begin to improve until after the taper was over; it was hard to be patient.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            In my case, steroids always did change the course of my flares. Every time that I went without steroids, my symptoms just continued to worsen. For me, I was often on a large 5-day dose, followed by a 12-day taper. Symptoms of my flare often didn't begin to improve until after the taper was over; it was hard to be patient.
            I have been in the same boat as you last time I had my Ivig infusion the Dr also gave me a dose of steroids one time and I was doing a little bit better the next day but everything came back again and it hasn't really improved much at all. Now when I'd be in the hospital for 3-4 days and got the steroids and a tapper pack I'd be ok anywhere from 2-3 months and better but not much. As to my health it's declined quite a bit more the last year I've gone way down hill as to the way I've been feeling. And yes I'm still looking for a maricle cure but I don't know if I'll ever find it. Best wishes and I hope that you start to feel better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby72 View Post
              ...As to my health it's declined quite a bit more the last year I've gone way down hill as to the way I've been feeling. And yes I'm still looking for a maricle cure but I don't know if I'll ever find it. Best wishes and I hope that you start to feel better soon.
              Hi Bobby. I've noticed a few of your posts when you respond to others. Have you introduced yourself yet? Please consider starting a new thread and help us get to know you better.

I've been in remission for about 4 years. No flares at all in that time. And no serious flares since 2010. But, my MS is at the point where it is kind of moving from RRMS to SPMS, so my mobility is declining and I've begun to use a cane.

Yeah -- the miracle cure. I guess maybe we're all looking for it. I'm not sure if it exists.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X