Trigeminal Neuralgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigeminal Neuralgia

I am curious. I started having an odd feeling in my jaws periodically about 3 months ago. Whenever you eat something really sour and you get the twang (I can’t come up with another word!) in your jaw. Well it feels like that but without eating something sour.
    Then I came across this trigeminal neuralgia and am wondering if that’s what I might be feeling? Sometimes I could describe it as somewhat painful.

Thoughts?

I've read that something as simple as a touch on the cheek could cause it. I had a bout with it at one time. Hurt real good, a dull aching pain that was continuous.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by carolynj View Post
      Sometimes I could describe it as somewhat painful.
      Never had it, but I've never seen it described as anything but seriously painful...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. My mom has had it on and off for several years (she does not have MS) and has to take periodic steroids and other medications for it. It can get extremely painful. If you're getting it, it may have no affiliation with MS.

Comment

Trigeminal Neuralgia was the thing that sent me to the neurologist in the first place & led to the discovery of my MS.
          It is caused (in my case) by my MS. It can also be caused by other damage to the trigeminal nerve. For me it feels like one of 2 things. 1- a 24/7 low-grade buzzing pain in my cheekbone. 2- someone stabbing my head with a red-hot railroad spike, AND LEAVING THE SPIKE ISIDE.!!!! Literally worse pain than birthing the 9 1/2 pounder without anesthesia.
          I take an anti-seizure med to keep the nerve calm, reducing the 27/7 buzzing pain and hopefully stop the spikes. It mostly works.

If you're concerned about the odd sensation you've been having being TN your best bet is talking to your doc. Whatever it is it needs to be dealt with.
          I wish you luck, but honestly hope it's NOT TN. I'd not wish this on my worst enemy (if had one).
          "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
          Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
          X