Cobra coverage duration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobra coverage duration

I've seen references where the duration for disability Cobra coverage is 18 months, and a qualifying event can extend it to 29 months.

What is the qualifying event to extend the duration and what needs to be done prior?

Thanks.

Hopefully our attorney will see your post soon. I thought if legally disabled, you could extend it, but I am no expert. But I don't know what the definition of this means, ie, on SSDI, are you legally disabled, so you can bridge COBRA until Medicare eligible. Or is there some specific definition of disabled understand COBRA?

You can try contacting your state insurance department to see how COBRA is followed in your state. While COBRA is federal, I think states can extend durarion and enhance the minimal federal coverage laws.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Generally, COBRA coverage can last up to 18 months. This is calculated from the time that you begin COBRA insurance, not from the time you leave work (this is important if your employer allows you to stay on your insurance for a period after your last day). Unfortunately, considering that there is (generally speaking) a 29-month waiting period for Medicare coverage from the last day worked for those approved from SSDI, a gap exists in coverage.

Extending COBRA beyond 18 months is challenging. As noted previously on the string, some states require that extended COBRA eligibility be provided. Alternatively, it appears that you can obtain an extension if you do the following: (1) obtain an approval for SSDI prior to the exhaustion of your regular period of COBRA coverage, and (2) send notice of this approval to the COBRA insurer within 60 days of receipt and prior to COBRA exhaustion. I have not had a client attempt this previously or guarantee its success, but this angle has been noted elsewhere online. As always, you should document any discussions regarding this issue with the insurer, and obtain written confirmation of an extension prior to the exhaustion of coverage.

This would appear to be a gap-filling solution for those approved at the initial level or reconsideration level. If anyone has successfully used this strategy for an extension, please let us know.
      Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

COBRA Coverage

I went on disability in may 2017 and started COBRA in Oct 2017 .
        I was approved for SSDI in Nov 2017

August 2018 sent Copy of SSDI approval to COBRA administration
        So my coverage has continued extended and recently received a package for New Year’s sign-up

Though premium four new year has jumped up drastically

Rate for disability extension is even higher than regular COBRA. 😡

I am not sure if I have any other options with lower premium considering my pre-existing condition until I’ll qualify for Medicare.

I hope this helps .

Comment

Working...
        X