Giving up career goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up career goals?

As long as I’ve worked at my clinic I’ve wanted to go from head surgery tech to head over all. Ive thought about it A lot and I’ve decided I am giving up on this. I have several reasons. 1.i love love love my schedule. I’d have to change to 4- 10 hour days or 5-8 hour. I love my 7-3 4 days and 11-4 one day. I’m exhausted my 4. 2. I LOVE surgery. It’s my favorite part of my job now. (Probably because I don’t have to deal with people. Lead tech does surgery maybe once a month. 3. I’m not sure if I think I deserve it anymore.. that said —- Do I give up a schedule I love and a career I enjoy for a decent raise... I get nice raises every year but lead tech gets more... I already gave up my dream to be board certified so I figured what’s one more...

Make your decisions based on today, and not on a future “what if”. Don’t discount yourself on some possibility that isn’t true today.

Do not worry about your employer, IF things change you can deal with it then...no need to feel any guilt about it. They will be ok (I know, I am in a leadership position)

Keep going down your path, you may be surprised where it takes you.

💛

Comment

I passed up promotions because of two reasons: I loved the work I did and I didn't want to manage people and deal with the BS that goes with it. So I stayed a senior systems analyst/project manager rather than a director.

For me, I was comfortable with my salary. So it made it easier to stay in what I loved.

If you truly don't want the responsibility in the new job, and are financially comfortable in your current salary, I vote to stay in what you love. If the sole reason not going for the job is your feeling that you don't deserve it, then I say ignore those feelings and go for the promotion.

Is there any chance your office manager would let you try the position on a temp basis to see how the hours work? Not sure feasible since they probably need to back fill your position then, but just trying to think outside the box.

Good luck with your decision.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Before this ever happened I knew that getting the promotion I want would mean I would be assisting with surgery a little less is my favorite part of the job. I was OK with that before this but now I struggle on the days I have to fake happy and talk to people all day. It is much easier for me to talk to the Doctor I am working with and since my main focus is on making sure my patient is handling anesthesia decently and paying attention to all the different parameters we really don't have to talk too much. I am worried i would be miserable having to "people" more days.

I also do not have the patience anymore for dealing with the high school pettiness that a clinic full of nothing but women brings. So I guess my reasons now are kind of like yours. Before this I was 100% OK with less surgery shifts but now I do not think I would be happy.

My goal was in a year after I got my specialty and a position opened (I know for sure one will right around the time I would have had my specialty) to apply. After being "Lead" overall technician for 1-2 years I was going to apply for a job at a specialty surgical center. I wanted lead overall tech since I have seen many postings for my "dream" job that say prefer supervisor experience.

I am not sure about trying it on a temp basis. I am at a corporate place so she probably has less flexibility to allow this type of thing. Another thing I am worried about is how I would deal with the no insurance for 1-2 months. I know about the options to keep my insurance through my employee or cobra but right now its not realistic. I have so much student loan debt and credit card dent (sick animals - not blowing it on stupid stuff). The promotion also comes with a 5-7500 a year raise which would really have helped out back when my biggest worry was paying of my credit cards.

Comment

I so agree with this advice. As far as work goes, decide based on today. If 15 years from now you can't do it, ok. Or if 5 years from now you can't do it, ok. What's the difference to the employer if you're not doing the job anymore because you can't or because you take a job another company or you retire?

Originally posted by MisterMan View Post
          Make your decisions based on today, and not on a future “what if”. Don’t discount yourself on some possibility that isn’t true today.

Do not worry about your employer, IF things change you can deal with it then...no need to feel any guilt about it. They will be ok (I know, I am in a leadership position)

Keep going down your path, you may be surprised where it takes you.

💛

Comment

Working...
          X