Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can telling an employer hurt your career?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can telling an employer hurt your career?

I know people aren’t supposed to let this thing effect their choice with promotions but how can we be sure it’s not going to be used against us? I told my practice manager at the advice of one of the vets I worked with who I was super close with. (He was promoted and thought I needed at least one person there who could be there for me on bad days when I’m super depressed) There’s no open position today but I know in about 6 months or less there will be.

Should I talk to my boss about my concerns when the position opens? Maybe go see my old vet friend who advised me to tell her. I just don’t want this to mess up my chance at more responsibilities/money/control over things. I probably worry too much but this would be a lot more money and let me pay off student loans sometime before next century. Any advice would be appreciated. (And I was currently promoted to my current position 6 months before this curse so that can’t give me a clue)

I chose not to disclose my diagnosis until I had to. I worked in a male-dominated field, and did not want any perception of weakness. I passed off symptoms as back problems and foot surgery complications.

Once you disclose there’s no going back, you can’t “untell” them. Personally I think there is prejudice against employees with chronic medical conditions, especially when it comes to promotions.

Comment

You will find people with all different experiences. Since you disclosed, as kmallory said, you can't take it back.

If you are mentally stronger and your manager hasn't seen you struggling with your depression, you could try having an open dialogue by letting them know you fully recovered from your relapse and are interested in more responsibility and excited by the opportunity that may be open. Let them know you want to be considered and if they have concerns, ask what they are.

But you have to be strong enough to mean it and answer any questions they may have.

Good luck. I hope you get it.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This h3ll doesn't have an effect on my work. I have kits of OTC pills I have found that I can rotate through to make myself fake happiness. On my bad days I bring my dog so I can go hug her instead of crying. My manager is amazing and if she was going to let this change how I was treated at work she would have taken me off being lead surgery tech. The ONLY thing that has changed is I don't have the patience anymore for coworkers acting like they are in high school. I used to just ignore it , but now I can't deal with the cattiness and talking behind people's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
          The ONLY thing that has changed is I don't have the patience anymore for coworkers acting like they are in high school. I used to just ignore it , but now I can't deal with the cattiness and talking behind people's back.
          That is a positive change, born from dealing with a very serious problem - and managing through it so far. May more of those positive changes happen for you!
          All the best, ~G

Comment

I didn't tell for years. When I did tell, few truly believed me. Some still doubt. They expect to see someone with disability.

If you've already told, there's no need to mention it again. If you haven't told, there's no reason to mention it.

People with other chronic conditions (epilepsy, diabetes, chronic leukemia) don't disclose their medical conditions, and there is no reason that someone with MS has to. There isn't anything going on in your life now that requires an reasonable accommodation, so there is no reason to talk about it.

Someone with diabetes may need an amputation someday. Someone with epilepsy may have a seizure. But if those conditions are under control and they aren't flying a plane, there is no reason they need to talk about medical in an interview or after.

A perfectly healthy person can interview, receive a promotion, and come down with colon cancer 2 months later. There are no guarantees for anyone.

Go for the promotion! You worked for it. You deserve it.

Comment

Working...
            X