Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kratom?- a miracle pill or something terrible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kratom?- a miracle pill or something terrible?

Has anyone tried this? I’ve read all the reviews online and know how addictive it can be. I just want to know if anyone has personal stories. I don’t always trust online reviews since I know some places pay people to write good reviews. I took some tonight and this is the first night in 10 months, 20 days, and 2 hours I have felt the smallest (and I do mean smallest) amount of hope. I even started making a list of things I want to do at my job in place of getting my specialty. It’s kinda a high dose for it to work and it is pretty pricey so that alone will keep me from doing it too much, but has anyone here tried it? This is also the first night I’ve forgot to take my benzo... so there’s that since I know benzo are bad.

Over the period from 2010 to 2015, kratom-related reports of poisoning in the United States increased 10-fold.[17] Because kratom was being marketed as a dietary supplement in 2014 – but had never been commonly used in the United States or confirmed to be safe – the FDA coordinated with other US agencies to seize imported shipments.[20][50] As of March 2018, Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wisconsin had made kratom illegal,[51] and the US Army had forbidden soldiers from using it.[52]

On 30 August 2016, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) announced its intention to place the active materials in the kratom plant into Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act as a warning about an imminent hazard to public safety, citing over 600 calls to poison control centers between 2010 and 2015 and 15 kratom-related deaths between 2014 and 2016.[19] This drew strong protests among those using kratom to deal with chronic pain or wean themselves off opioids or alcohol.[53] A group of 51 members of the US House of Representatives and a group of nine senators each sent letters to acting DEA administrator Chuck Rosenberg protesting the listing and around 140,000 people signed an online White House Petition protesting it.[54][55] The DEA noted the responses but said that it intended to go forward with the listing; a spokesman said: "We can't rely upon public opinion and anecdotal evidence. We have to rely upon science."[56] In October 2016, the DEA withdrew its notice of intent while inviting public comments over a review period ending 1 December 2016.[57][58]

In November 2017, the FDA cited serious concerns over the marketing and effects (including death) associated with the use of kratom in the United States, stating that "There is no reliable evidence to support the use of kratom as a treatment for opioid use disorder; there are currently no FDA-approved therapeutic uses of kratom... and the FDA has evidence to show that there are significant safety issues associated with its use."[59]

In February 2018, the commissioner of the FDA, Scott Gottlieb, released a statement describing further opioid-like properties of kratom and stating that it should not be used for any medical treatment or recreational use.[11] Also in 2018, the FDA supervised the voluntary destruction of kratom dietary supplements by a nationwide distributor in Missouri, and encouraged all companies involved in kratom commerce to remove their products from the market.[60] On February 26, the FDA warned a California manufacturer of a kratom product called "Mitrasafe" that the supplement was not confirmed as safe, was not approved as a dietary supplement or drug, and was illegal for interstate commerce.[7]

On April 4, 2018, the FDA issued the first mandatory recall in its history over concerns of salmonella contamination of several kratom-containing products.[61] Samples of the products, manufactured by Triangle Pharmanaturals and marketed under the brand name of Raw Form Organics, tested positive for contamination and the manufacturer did not comply with federal requests for voluntary recall.[62] FDA Commissioner Gottleib stated that the recall was, "...based on the imminent health risk posed by the contamination of this product with salmonella" and not related to other regulatory concerns.[61] Consumers were advised to immediately discard any such products to prevent serious health risks.[62]

Never tried it, never would. (Dr Wikipedia)

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
      Has anyone tried this? I’ve read all the reviews online and know how addictive it can be. I just want to know if anyone has personal stories. I don’t always trust online reviews since I know some places pay people to write good reviews. I took some tonight and this is the first night in 10 months, 20 days, and 2 hours I have felt the smallest (and I do mean smallest) amount of hope. I even started making a list of things I want to do at my job in place of getting my specialty. It’s kinda a high dose for it to work and it is pretty pricey so that alone will keep me from doing it too much, but has anyone here tried it? This is also the first night I’ve forgot to take my benzo... so there’s that since I know benzo are bad.
      Daisycat

This info from the Mayo Clinic on Kratom:

Side effects and safety concerns

Although people who take kratom believe in its value, researchers who have studied kratom think its side effects and safety problems more than offset any potential benefits.

Kratom has a number of known side effects, including:
      •Weight loss
      •Dry mouth
      •Chills, nausea and vomiting
      •Changes in urine and constipation
      •Liver damage
      •Muscle pain

Kratom also affects the mind and nervous system:
      •Dizziness
      •Drowsiness
      •Hallucinations and delusion
      •Depression and delusion
      •Breathing suppression
      •Seizure, coma and death

Full article: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...m/art-20402171

Sounds risky to me.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I know taking it every single day will lead to bad problems. (and be very expensive).... but the way I see it in 10-20 years I will probably be a cripple and not really have anything to live for and defiantly will never be slightly happy again... so if I can find something to make me less miserable 2 nights a week I might as well try it. Not like working out and eating healthy worked out for me a year ago.

Comment

Daisycat

I subscribe to FDA recall notices, and just received this email about Kratom.

You might want to check to see if yours is recalled, due to high microbial loads contamination:

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/u..._source=Eloqua

Take Care
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Daisycat

I subscribe to FDA recall notices, and just received this email about Kratom.

You might want to check to see if yours is recalled, due to high microbial loads contamination:

Take Care

Nope thankfully I do not use that kind. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that on occasion.

Comment

Nope thankfully I do not use that kind. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that on occasion.
              You're welcome, Daisycat.

Comment

More Kratom Recalls

Daisycat

More Kratom recalls:

Take Care

Comment

Just took 2.25g of it I had kicking around to get it out of the way. Not that cool... body high, but big deal. Would not try again. I have no idea why heroin/pain pill addicts like this. Messing with my ability to walk and see. :-/

This thread reminded me I have some, so I thought I'd report back.

Comment

Originally posted by headrift View Post
                    Just took 2.25g of it I had kicking around to get it out of the way. Not that cool... body high, but big deal. Would not try again. I have no idea why heroin/pain pill addicts like this. Messing with my ability to walk and see. :-/

This thread reminded me I have some, so I thought I'd report back.
                    I can defiantly understand now why people are addicted to things. At ;east for me it leaves me numb and I do not have to deal with the constant 24/7 hole I feel.

Comment

I can defiantly understand now why people are addicted to things. At ;east for me it leaves me numb and I do not have to deal with the constant 24/7 hole I feel.
                      What type of "hole" is it? If it's an emotional hole, I prefer benzos. Still addictive, but the "hole" goes away after a while. If you don't want something addictive, maybe a SNRI or SSNRI like Cymbalta or Pristiq? IMO, there are better things to do with "holes" than just numb yourself to them... fill them up with something.

Comment

I am not sure why my other post didn’t make it….
                        I take benzos but do not want to rely on them since I had a “forced” cold turkey detox. The hole is an emotional one and it used to be filled with my hope for the future and plans for the future… Now that all of that is gone I have to just numb myself otherwise I wouldn’t make it.

Comment

I am not sure why my other post didn’t make it….
                          I take benzos but do not want to rely on them since I had a “forced” cold turkey detox. The hole is an emotional one and it used to be filled with my hope for the future and plans for the future… Now that all of that is gone I have to just numb myself otherwise I wouldn’t make it.
                          Not good. Not sure what to say about your predicament besides walk your grief steps... always nice to have a road to follow. Addiction is all about your perceived needs... I really, really like the benzos, but that's probably why I don't get prescribed them.

And, as my high school science teacher said, "don't do drugs. They're expensive". In many ways.

Comment

I love benzos.... they work amazing for me. Took them for 7 years. Never asked for an increase in dose, to refill early, or anything else to get more. One morning I was running very late to work and left the bottle open and it got knocked in the toilet..., (I kept it in the little cabinet above the toilet because it is the one place my cats can’t get into). I went to grab it and accidentally dropped it). I work at a vet clinic I know how that sounds but I only asked for half my monthly dose (this was the second day I had it). If I wanted to score extra benzos I’d have a much better way than asking one time for half the amount I usually get. Cold turkey detox from that was absolutely horrible. That’s why I’m switching up what I take. I now have 5 things... waiting on the 6th in the mail. So assuming they all work I can keep switching out as needed: The stuff is expensive but to feel a few hours of non misery a night it’s worth it.

Comment

Working...
                            X