Is anyone familiar with a Burst Neuorstimulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone familiar with a Burst Neuorstimulator

My doctors have been discussing trying this machine to help with back pain due to neuromuscular scoliosis. The MS has wrecked my back with scoliosis which is deteriorating pretty quick
    The Pain Doc tried an Epidural and it helped so much, but by the time the next shot was due (2 months later) the scoliosis had caused the bones in my lumbar vertebrae to fuse so there was only a small space to inject some med...so she said shots are out.

The neurostimulator sounds very interesting...my concern is with my baclofen pump. I called Medtronic and they said the two are compatible if....then she told me a series of restrictions
    indicating it's really not always compatible with the pump.

I go back to the neurosurgeon next week to see what he has to say. Just wondered if anyone had had one of the neurostimulators implanted.

I'm in a similar position I have terrible neuropathic pain in my legs. My pain doctor 1recently recommended a spinal cord stimulator. I'm worried that I also have a baclofen Medtronic pump. I'm nervous about having two implanted devices.

Comment

I have both a medtronic pump and spinal cord stimulator (SCS). The pump is located lower left abdomen and SCS in my right lower back. I never had a problem with the two - they don't even know each other are there. The SCS needs to be reprogrammed from time to time to maximize the benefits.

Ensure you are getting the MRI-compatible equipment and know there are differences between what MRIs are allowed. I'm not sure what the new SCS mri limitations are, but the device is a TON better than the old models. Fully charge in 1 hour (vs 8 hours/week), manageable via tablet ... yes, I wish I had that. The only problem is manufacturing delays are rampant because Puerto Rico got nailed with the hurricane.

I did have a mandatory psych eval for the SCS, but not for the pump. I have no idea why the two were handled differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
        I have both a medtronic pump and spinal cord stimulator (SCS). The pump is located lower left abdomen and SCS in my right lower back. I never had a problem with the two - they don't even know each other are there. The SCS needs to be reprogrammed from time to time to maximize the benefits.

Ensure you are getting the MRI-compatible equipment and know there are differences between what MRIs are allowed. I'm not sure what the new SCS mri limitations are, but the device is a TON better than the old models. Fully charge in 1 hour (vs 8 hours/week), manageable via tablet ... yes, I wish I had that. The only problem is manufacturing delays are rampant because Puerto Rico got nailed with the hurricane.

I did have a mandatory psych eval for the SCS, but not for the pump. I have no idea why the two were handled differently.
        Hi Marco,

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that they're compatible from someone who actually had the two units at the same time. I'm sure Brad appreciates the information also. I've been told about the psyche evaluation too, and I thought the same thing...I've been walking around with an implanted
        device for 7 years and it's the size of a hockey puck, so why are they worried about a little battery pack being implanted in my rump. The explanation I heard on a tape was the psyche eval is necessary because they want to make sure you'll be okay with knowing you have a device implanted. And once again I went "huh." Oh well, we do what we have to.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum because in the last couple years I've developed neuromuscular scoliosis, and it's decided to steadily degenerate. Up until a few years ago my lower back x-ray just fine. Then I started leaning, and they did a scoliosis X-ray, and the curve was 40 degrees...but from what I read scoliosis degenerates about a degree per year. So the leaning continued and the next x-ray, less than a year later, showed the curve was a 55 degrees, and the next x-ray taken just a couple months down the road and it ws at 65. The neurosurgeon says I have to decide now if I'll have the surgery, but with the MS, and my age, there is no way I could rehab from the surgery. The neurosurgeons tell me it's a grueling surgery, well 2 surgeries. One 8 hour, then a couple days later a 10 hour. My reality after watching rehab videos and realizing what it takes to rehab correctly, my MS doesn't allow me to move in the manner that's needed for rehab. So we're saying no to the scoliosis surgery. (If you're interested, just google scoliosis surgery and click on images...it looks as bad as they say it is.)

And that's where the neurostimulator comes in. Since the curve will continue to degenerate, the pain may get worse, and we're looking for something other than meds for the pain. I'll probably end up with a wheelchair, fitted for the scoliosis, and a head piece that will keep my head from flopping.

I've had the shots, but there evidently isn't any other space left to do an epidural in my lumbar spine. If I don't get the chair, I figure I can walk with a mirror held so I can see where I'm going.

Thanks again for the info Marco. How's your pump been working for you?

Comment

The pump is completely awesome. I have a refill later this month, but other than 3 refills per year it has been flawless.

The SCS needs a bit more maintenance with reprogramming as the pain shifts. You also have to recharge it (every 5 days for me), but still better than the pain.

Another suggestion might be adding prialt to the pump. It's pretty hit or miss, but it works well for some people. There are pretty big FB support groups for both implants.

I wish you well...

Comment

Working...
          X