Nootropics- yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nootropics- yes or no?

I’ve started taking several different nootropics throughout the day and I’m just wondering if anyone else has had experience with these good or bad? I know some of them shouldn’t be used every day-so that’s why I have about 6 different ones I’m cycling through/switching out. I haven’t mentioned these to my neurologist because 1. He only spends 10 minutes with me an appointment so i don’t have time. 2. Haven’t seen him since I started them 3. I’ve learned more from “dr Google “ than I have from my human dr.

Dasiycat, What exactly are you using?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4756795/

https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-confronts-rise-nootropics
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Here is the ones I have. I don’t use all of them every day and try to cycle with certain ones. Phenibut, ashwaganda, noopept, aniracetam, and there’s one more that starts with a p but I can’t remember the name. But like I said I don’t mix all of them and try to cycle them.

Comment

Nootropics - yes or no?

NO

Comment

Concerns with nootropics:

Brain chemistry alterations: Based on brain scans, it is clear that certain nootropics are capable of altering the way the brain works… Even the safest nootropics can change the way your brain works; possibly inhibiting important functions.

Cognitive deficits: Some experts have compared the usage of nicotine to other nootropics in suggesting that long-term consistent usage may lead to cognitive deficits. When nicotine is used for a short-term, it boosts cognition. However, over the long-term, users tend to stabilize and eventually require the same amount of nicotine just to achieve normal cognitive function. It is speculated that the brain could adapt (i.e. become tolerant) to the drug and end up relying on it in order to perform advanced cognitive tasks.

Cumulative toll on nervous system: … stimulatory ones like Provigil that force you to be alert at all times may be taking a toll on your physical body… the drug is forcing your body to create energy even when you feel tired. This disrupts your circadian rhythm and is using up energy stores that could accelerate aging and/or alter the way your body works.

Dependence: There have been user reports of long-term nootropic usage, some of which state that they can no longer perform cognitively demanding tasks without them… they have become so dependent on nootropics in order to do work, take tests, and stay productive, that their functioning is impaired without them…

Lack of research: At the moment, there isn’t enough research to justify the safety of long-term nootropic usage…

Long-term effects: Long-term consistent usage may result in dependence in that the brain becomes so used to receiving the drug, that it no longer has to actually work in order to perform cognitive tasks – it just expects the nootropic…

Memory impairment: Recently there was news of dementia linked to benzodiazepines and other CNS depressant drugs... it took researchers years before they even noticed a connection. Nootropics are relatively new to the scene and haven’t really been studied over the long-term. Some researchers believe that when used over a long-term, they could cause memory damage.

Neurotransmission: The neurotransmission in your brain is very delicate and influenced by many factors. Taking a drug or supplement over an extended period is likely going to deplete certain neurotransmitters. This will result in a “need” to take the drug in order to maintain adequate functioning.

Interactions: The nootropics that you take could interact with any pharmaceutical medications and/or other supplements that you take… Certain adverse reactions could be fatal and therefore should be avoided by doing research and/or talking to a professional.

Perceived deficiencies: Sometimes people end up with perceived deficiencies in their cognitive abilities when they discontinue a nootropic… When used over an extended period, others may constantly compare their “nootropic-self” to their “sober-self” and come to believe that they are incapable of performing well without the drug; this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quality concerns: … it is important to consider that the source may not be supplying a quality product… Since nootropics are unregulated, it is imperative to seek out a quality product for your own safety.

Side effects: Nootropics are not substances devoid of side effects – anything that influences neurotransmission is going to have side effects… these effects may include: migraines, dizziness, headaches, skin rashes, and in some cases – may be life threatening.

Sleep problems: Not only could your sleep quality diminish while taking a nootropic, it could stay impaired after you’ve stopped using the nootropic… Stimulatory nootropics force the nervous system to stay activated and the entire circadian rhythm, leading you to wake up feeling groggy.

Withdrawals: Many people consider nootropics to have “no withdrawals” but some clearly experience them. Any substance that influences the way your brain works, alters neurotransmission, and gives you energy when you previously didn’t have it is likely to have withdrawals.

Comment

Working...
          X