I hope this helps someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this helps someone

I am 54 years old. I started having health issues over 25 years ago. It started with numbness in one of my legs. I went to the dr and they did an ultrasound on the affected area. Found nothing, and told me that. So i lived with it until it became just part of my life. Over the years, I've suffered from dizziness, hearing loss, numbness spread down my leg all the way to my foot, pain, difficulty walking and gripping things, inability to express myself verbally at times.

Everytime i went to the dr they look for the obvious, find nothing, and i settled. After much googling, i cane across a common cause for all my symptoms. MS. Now i'm too old and overweight to have it, so i am told. No one cares that i was in my late twenties when it wtarted or that my weight is because its been tok painful to move. No onewill cinsider that i have ms or even try to find an underlying cause for my symptoms, other than age and weight.

My advice to you is do not wait to get help if you think something is wrong. Be stronger than i have been and find someone who will listen and help you.

Age at Diagnosis

Your post really resonates with me. I was 47 when I was diagnosed with MS. This occurred after 2 bouts of Optic Neuritis about 18 months apart. My father is a physician ( although not a neurologist) so naturally I called him. I will never forget what he said. "Aren't you a little old for that?" It just goes to show you that even doctors can lack knowledge about a subject.

I have read other posts on this Message Board about people that were diagnosed with MS even later than you are right now. You can search for them and read them. You do not mention what type of doctors you have seen or what types of testing has been done. McDonald Criteria met? Brain MRI? Lumbar puncture? Obviously I hope that you do NOT have MS but I hope that you DO get some answers as to the cause of your symptoms. I wish you the best of luck.

IRENE

Comment

Hello akalostangel

Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS). The diagnosis is based on the current McDonald Criteria which requires positive testing which indicates MS as a cause and ruling out all other possible causes for symptoms.

After much googling, i cane across a common cause for all my symptoms. MS.
      It is impossible to determine if your symptoms are related to Multiple Sclerosis. Many conditions have similar symptoms as those seen in MS. There is no symptom exclusive to this disease.

Your weight and age has nothing to do with receiving testing for MS or being able to receive a diagnosis. MS has no age limits and many people have the disease much longer than the actual diagnosis date.

If you are concerned about MS you will need to discuss this with your Dr. as you would need to see a Neurologist.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello akalostangel,

Thank you for posting and sharing your story. It can be so frustrating when you know something is wrong but doctors don't take enough time or interest to be of help.

It appears as if your symptoms are neurological and certainly could be MS related. An MRI would be helpful, diagnostically. Take heart because there is a reason for your symptoms that can be diagnosed and treated.

Keep searching for a doctor who will listen!

You will find one and when you do, your life will begin changing for the better. Identifying the underlying health issue will be such a relief. From there you and your doctor will plan a way forward.

Be Encouraged! A wonderful, happy life is entirely possible. Believe in it, look for it, and work for it!

Thank you again for posting and giving expression to what many others are feeling, or have felt. You are not alone, bless your heart.

Best Wishes!

Comment

I'd complain about a headache everyday until they do an MRI. It might give you the information you are looking for.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
          X