Bladder infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bladder infections

I've had 2 infections in the past several months. I'll be traveling for 3 weeks and am worried about getting one away from home. I'm in a wheelchair and need help getting to the bathroom. Does anyone take some kind of maintenance pill or supplement to prevent UTIs? I'll also check with my doctor. I have antibiotics on hand if I get one, but I'm hoping to avoid them altogether. Thanks for any tips.

Hi,I have heard cranberry juice helps wards it off.

Comment

Long term low dose antibiotics

Hi there, your doctor can prescribe long term low dose antibiotics to ward off UTIs. It works well and is used for chronic UTI patients.

Comment

Bladder infections can be caused by the bladder’s failure to empty completely. It’s pretty common in MS. The retention of urine causes bacteria to grow. I was getting infections at the rate of one a month.

I argued with my urologist about this for a year before I gave in and started self cathing. It just didn’t make sense to me. He was right. It cut way down on the infections and as a bonus I can go longer between bathroom trips.

To test your urine retention, they have you use the bathroom then use an ultrasound wand on your abdomen that measures what is left in your bladder. It’s not invasive or uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
          Bladder infections can be caused by the bladder’s failure to empty completely. It’s pretty common in MS. The retention of urine causes bacteria to grow. I was getting infections at the rate of one a month.

I argued with my urologist about this for a year before I gave in and started self cathing. It just didn’t make sense to me. He was right. It cut way down on the infections and as a bonus I can go longer between bathroom trips.

To test your urine retention, they have you use the bathroom then use an ultrasound wand on your abdomen that measures what is left in your bladder. It’s not invasive or uncomfortable.
          Is it hard to to self-cath if you have poor dexterity?

Comment

I have fairly poor dexterity. My handwriting looks terrible and I type with one finger.
            I have poor “pinch strength”, which just got measured by an occupational therapist. That makes it difficult to hold a pen or a fork.

Self cathing requires being able to hold the catheter with your dominant hand and guide it. I can still do that as long as I don’t get lubricant on the part I hold. You can wear a textured nitrile glove if it helps with grip.

You won’t know until you try it.

Comment

I've read that anti-biotics should be a last choice. They also kill off good bacteria, and, over time, they stop being effective at treating infections.

I haven't found cranberry to be effective.

D-Mannose, a supplement which you can get OTC, either at a health food store or online (amazon) is effective at prevention, and is also supposed to be effective at treatment. It can be purchased as a capsule or a powder that you add to a glass of water. Uva Ursi is also effective but I've read that it should not be used long term.

Here are a few tips for avoiding bladder infections and UTI's.
              • Wear cotton-crotch underwear.
              • Avoid sitting in a soapy bathtub. Or take showers instead of baths.
              • Don’t hold your urine. Be sure to urinate frequently and when you have the urge.
              • Wipe from front to back.

This site gives additional suggestions at prevention, treatment /supplements, helpful diet to avoid infections, etc.
              https://myersdetox.com/treat-bladder...ons-naturally/
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I regularly take D-Mannose and I do think it helps. It's so much harder to be traveling and get hit with a bladder infection, so I want to do everything I can to prevent them. It doesn't help that I'm in a wheelchair and can't get myself on and off the toilet. Thankfully, my husband is great at helping me.

Comment

It’s great that your husband is such a help. I also am in a wheelchair and can’t do the toilet dance without help.

I am leery of traveling to unfamiliar places because I can’t use the ladies room with my husband along. Finding family restrooms or single user unisex restrooms is really hit or miss. Starbucks is generally a good bet, with Home Depot, Lowe’s, Target and Kohl’s a big maybe. Walmart falls into the sometimes category. Interstate rest stops vary so much by state you never know what you’ll find. A big blue handicap sign means absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post

I am leery of traveling to unfamiliar places because I can’t use the ladies room with my husband along. Finding family restrooms or single user unisex restrooms is really hit or miss. ...
                    My MIL needs help from my FIL too. What they do is ask at the front desk if they will put up a restroom cleaning sign while they are in the ladies' room so that they will not be disturbed.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

My husband just goes in the woman's handicap stall with me to help. We try to go in and out when no one is using other stalls, but sometimes we can't avoid it. No one seems to mind. It's great to find family bathrooms. Some states are better than others. My state (Washington) seems to be one of the better ones. Good luck to all of you who also have to figure out the bathroom issue.

Comment

Bladder infections

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
                        I've had 2 infections in the past several months. I'll be traveling for 3 weeks and am worried about getting one away from home. I'm in a wheelchair and need help getting to the bathroom. Does anyone take some kind of maintenance pill or supplement to prevent UTIs? I'll also check with my doctor. I have antibiotics on hand if I get one, but I'm hoping to avoid them altogether. Thanks for any tips.
                        Hi, I used to get bladder infections all the time. I have antibiotics that I take, as well as Azo cranberry tablets. Hopefully, this might help a lot with these darn bladder problems.

Comment

Dosing

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                          I've read that anti-biotics should be a last choice. They also kill off good bacteria, and, over time, they stop being effective at treating infections.

I haven't found cranberry to be effective.

D-Mannose, a supplement which you can get OTC, either at a health food store or online (amazon) is effective at prevention, and is also supposed to be effective at treatment. It can be purchased as a capsule or a powder that you add to a glass of water. Uva Ursi is also effective but I've read that it should not be used long term.

Here are a few tips for avoiding bladder infections and UTI's.
                          • Wear cotton-crotch underwear.
                          • Avoid sitting in a soapy bathtub. Or take showers instead of baths.
                          • Don’t hold your urine. Be sure to urinate frequently and when you have the urge.
                          • Wipe from front to back.

This site gives additional suggestions at prevention, treatment /supplements, helpful diet to avoid infections, etc.
                          https://myersdetox.com/treat-bladder...ons-naturally/
                          Please, what is your daily dosing of D-Mannose for preventing UTI's? I repeatedly have that problems, and am I looking for some way to avoid them. Mostly the labs found E.coli in my urine. The solution are ATB's. And what is the dosing for possible treating UTI's?

Comment

For prevention, I use the dose suggested on the supplement container. I prefer the powder, rather than the capsules, so I use 1 level tsp and mix it in a glass of water. Once per day. I use the NOW brand. They are also available in capsules.

I read that treatment for UTI is 500 mg every two or three hours for five days.

Here's a link:
                            https://kresserinstitute.com/treat-p...without-drugs/
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I never had an UTI until I began struggling with finding a diagnosis for my constant fatigue and drop foot ( among other MS symptoms ). I was diagnosed with PPMS a few months before I turned 51 in 2009. I was in and out of my PCP's every few months for 2 years, with many of the same complaints. It wasn't until I consulted a neurologist that my MS diagnosis was made.
                              I suggest that when it comes to your health and wellbeing, NEVER GIVE UP !
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X