I Want One Of These

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Want One Of These

Next week I am going to order a (HFAD) Hip Flexion Assist Device. I was at an appointment @ Cleveland Clinic December of 2017 when I met PT Matt, and he put one on me to try ( I have really bad foot drop) in fact I wear an AFO, it's a dynamic walk by Centri I would not be able to walk without it. Even with it on I have a seriously wicked swing out or circumvent of my left leg.

I was working with Matt to perform a FCE when I was there last, and I struggled to do a 400 foot walk. When we finished the evaluation, Matt put the HFAD on my left leg and OMG!!!! What a difference!! I was walking better, I mean I have no balance .... but I could walk wo worrying about tripping over my toes. Lets just say that walking with that appliance saves a lot of energy because your leg and foot come up with ease and I found that not only I could walk farther, but it allowed me to concentrate on my balance more leaving me worry free of the left leg issues.

I am grateful for Matts help in helping me discover this assistive device. It runs about 230 dollar. Its alot of money to me, but for what it does I think its worth it. Thought I'd share.

gonna try to share link. I'm not very puter literate so bear with me. The company info follows. its in Troy Michigan.

BECKER REHABILITATION PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgMr3QAncN8

God Bless

Rob

Hi Rob ~

Originally posted by ppmsichshize View Post
    When we finished the evaluation, Matt put the HFAD on my left leg and OMG!!!! What a difference!! I was walking better, I mean I have no balance .... but I could walk wo worrying about tripping over my toes. Lets just say that walking with that appliance saves a lot of energy because your leg and foot come up with ease and I found that not only I could walk farther, but it allowed me to concentrate on my balance more leaving me worry free of the left leg issues.
    Wow - that is terrific!

The $230 cost would be well worth the benefits you receive.

I watched the video twice to see if the device is something that I could put on and fasten with one hand (I have very limited use of my right arm and hand). I think it would be very difficult for me, if not impossible.

In any case, I hope that it works out great for you!

PS - When you get the device, would you try to put it on one-handed, and let me know if it can be done? Thanks!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Good HFAD

I too go to Cleveland Clinic and couple years ago I was fitted for this HFAD. It was a godsend when I got it. It made walking possible and a whole lot less tiring! It was definitely worth the money. It took awhile to get used to wearing it all the time but it does help and for awhile after wearing it for a day, my muscles had some muscle memory and would act like I was still wearing it. The muscle memory only lasted about 30 mins or so, but it was great to lift my foot and leg all by myself again without assistance. It has helped me for a long time.

Over time my RRMS has progressed to SPMS and walking is not something I can't do but a few steps at a time and always use a walker at home or a wheelchair when I go any where. But I really think that without the HFAD I would have not been able to stay mobile for quite so long.

I hope you can get one and that it works for you as well as it works for me.
      Echo
      DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

I got one of those about 2 years ago. I used it for a while. It worked well and I adjusted to wearing it pretty quickly! But sadly, I found that my strength is failing and I can't balance on my 2 feet for more than 30 seconds ! So, now, I am using a power wheelchair !
        Good luck with the new appliance!

Comment

Interesting and thanks for the link. I might try one of these for myself.

Comment

Koko, You asked me to inform you of the ease of use with this item. I apologize for the late response (haven't been on this site much)

I think you and I are very alike in regards to physical difficulties...except yours is right, and mine is left side.

I find it pretty challenging to put on because of dexterity issues with my left hand (at least I'm right hand dominant) that helps me any way. Its about as difficult as weaving a waist belt through belt loops on pants.. .if that makes any sense. I have to take a 10 minute break after assembling it. About as tiresome as getting dressed or tying shoes.

I don't use it as much as I'd like to, due to the fact I can't walk much, but it is useful, even with a walker. I do not regret the purchase.

However I do recommend booking an appointment with Matt at the Cleveland Clinic to get proper use training with it.

hope all is well with You!!!

peace

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ppmsichshize View Post
              Koko, You asked me to inform you of the ease of use with this item. I apologize for the late response (haven't been on this site much)

I think you and I are very alike in regards to physical difficulties...except yours is right, and mine is left side.

I find it pretty challenging to put on because of dexterity issues with my left hand (at least I'm right hand dominant) that helps me any way. Its about as difficult as weaving a waist belt through belt loops on pants.. .if that makes any sense. I have to take a 10 minute break after assembling it. About as tiresome as getting dressed or tying shoes.

I don't use it as much as I'd like to, due to the fact I can't walk much, but it is useful, even with a walker. I do not regret the purchase.

However I do recommend booking an appointment with Matt at the Cleveland Clinic to get proper use training with it.

hope all is well with You!!!

peace

Rob
              Thanks for letting us know about your hip flexion device, Rob.

It's great to hear from you!

I'm doing the best I can.

Hope you visit us here more often!

Take Care
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have used a HFAD for the last two years. My left hand is also difficult to use. It takes a couple of minutes to put it on. I only wear it when I'm going somewhere. My biggest problem is to make sure I have my belt on my pants tight enough otherwise waist band on the HFAD pulls my pants down. Not a pretty site

Comment

Originally posted by 90stangg View Post
                  My biggest problem is to make sure I have my belt on my pants tight enough otherwise waist band on the HFAD pulls my pants down. Not a pretty site
                  90stangg ~

Thank you for sharing your experience! I couldn't help but to chuckle a little bit.

This is good to know, as I have no waist (or backside either, anymore)!

Take Care

Comment

Yah the elderly woman telling me my pants were falling down (like yeah I know) I'm walking with fore arm crutches I had to wait until I could lean my crutch against something before I could fix the problem.

Being in my fifties I'm not one to wear my pants down around my knees

Comment

Yah the elderly woman telling me my pants were falling down (like yeah I know) I'm walking with fore arm crutches I had to wait until I could lean my crutch against something before I could fix the problem.
                      I guess that my having to use a rollator has some upsides after all!

Being in my fifties I'm not one to wear my pants down around my knees

Take Care

Comment

better

I read this post about 5-6 months ago but was reluctant to buy. I was getting physical therapy for shoulder pain and brought it to the attention of my physical therapist. She watched how I walked with my cane and AFO. I was really weak on the right side and would grab my pants by the right thigh to lift and swing my leg up while walking. We both researched and watched the videos at Becker orthopedics and felt it was worth a try.

It did cost @ $260 dollars plus shipping. I had 4 PT sessions to learn to walk with the HFAD and it has helped very much. I do not necessarily walk faster but much better and stand more erect. I use it mostly when going out as others have mentioned. I need it tight around my waist to helped lift my foot so it does put pressure on my bladder. I loosen the velcro strap when sitting to ease the pressure. It does take some time putting on. I already allow a lot of time to get prepared to go out so I just add another 5 minutes.

All in all I feel it has helped me much and feel it was a good investment. I did buy 2 extra shoe straps to put in my other shoes so I do not have to keep moving the one around that came with the device . I would also add that I tried to walk without the HFAD just using my AFO and cane as I did before and found it very difficult. I am not using the same muscles and have become dependent on the HFAD. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 04blackcobra View Post
                          I read this post about 5-6 months ago but was reluctant to buy. I was getting physical therapy for shoulder pain and brought it to the attention of my physical therapist. She watched how I walked with my cane and AFO. I was really weak on the right side and would grab my pants by the right thigh to lift and swing my leg up while walking. We both researched and watched the videos at Becker orthopedics and felt it was worth a try.

It did cost @ $260 dollars plus shipping. I had 4 PT sessions to learn to walk with the HFAD and it has helped very much. I do not necessarily walk faster but much better and stand more erect. I use it mostly when going out as others have mentioned. I need it tight around my waist to helped lift my foot so it does put pressure on my bladder. I loosen the velcro strap when sitting to ease the pressure. It does take some time putting on. I already allow a lot of time to get prepared to go out so I just add another 5 minutes.

All in all I feel it has helped me much and feel it was a good investment. I did buy 2 extra shoe straps to put in my other shoes so I do not have to keep moving the one around that came with the device . I would also add that I tried to walk without the HFAD just using my AFO and cane as I did before and found it very difficult. I am not using the same muscles and have become dependent on the HFAD. Don't know if that is good or bad.
                          Hi Bill

Thanks for your detailed review of the HFAD. Very helpful.

Good to know that it's working well for you!

Take Care

Comment

I also used this device for a couple years. I absolutely loved it, but I developed osteoarthritis in my right knee, and the way the device “lifts” the leg only increased the pain. I sometimes wonder if the device caused the problem, but it is an unknown. I ended up giving my HFAD to a really nice woman in Australia, and she is hopefully still enjoying its use. No regrets.

Comment

Working...
                            X