Exercise Check-In for 07/12/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 07/12/18

It's good to be back. Thanks so much, Seasha, for filling in for me while I was on vacation.

4 checked in this last week.

GOALS REACHED:
    GOALS MISSED:

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Didn't set or track goals while on vacation

I still wore my Garmin, but I didn't calculate my step average. Some days were over 2000 steps and some were less, so I'm not sure if I would have made goal or not.

Regarding exercise, I didn't do any of my regular exercises. But, I was on the floor with grandsons sometimes (getting up and down requires effort). And, the spare bedroom where we stayed was in the basement, so I did steps more than usual.

I likely did not meet the equivalent of either goal, but vacation meant a break and that felt OK to me.

Will return to my previous goal for next week.
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, Wellness Center, PT, chair exercises or something else.

------------
    We took my recently acquired motorized W/C on the trip. I planned to use it for the museum day at Steinbach's outdoor Mennonite Heritage Village. It was wonderful to have it there. The buildings were all accessible, so I could motor around the museum campus and go in and out of all of the buildings easily. It was nice to be be able to independently drive the chair and not need to be pushed. We spend 4 or 5 hours there that day, so there is absolutely no way that I could have managed the day without it.

But, I also used it quite a few additional days. A (DD) and D (SIL) do a lot of walking with the kids in the double stroller for things like shopping, trips to the park, going to the splash pad, etc, so it was nice to be able to toot along in the W/C. Otherwise, we would have needed to take a vehicle everywhere and just meet them there.

Now that I'm home, I doubt that I'll use it much. I can get by with my cane and usually only need to walk brief distances from the house to the car and whatever building we're going to.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Didn't make it!

Hi there! It was such a busy week for me I didn't know if I was coming or going. Faith, glad you had a wonderful time. You did well for keeping up. I left my pedomitor during the festivities but was the least of my worries. Does MS pay for a rollator with seat that lifts up? Before I call I thought you all may know. Anyhoooooooooooooooooooo

Thurs-991
      Fri-7269
      Sat-6004
      Sun-2091
      Mon-2852
      Tues-3214
      Weds-4461

Total=20,454 Average-2922
      Came pretty close to my 3000 but didn't exercise. I need to get more motivated. I've had so much pain in my lower back. Enough whining.....I try not to but I woke up on the wring side of the bed.

We all have to keepon trucking. Have a wonderful weekend.

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I am back from vac. I enjoyed myself but struggled. I have been having a lot of burning pain in legs and I can't stand as long, they are very weak. My house keeper didn't work out so I have been doing some house work.

I am feeling overwhelmed with m.s. sx's and everything else that goes with it. I don't feel I can be an inspiration.

Just feeling down.

I have decided to drop out of the group.

I wish all of you the best. You guys and awesome.

Thank you Mamabug for the thread it has kept me moving and I am going to keep moving as best I can.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Sorry, Reg, about the struggles. Please don't feel like it's necessary to drop out of the group.

If you're not up to being an inspiration to us, perhaps it's our role to try to encourage you instead.

And trying to "keep moving as best I can" is appropriate for a goal at this point. Perhaps you'll be able to set a measurable goal that feels realistic for you in the future.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Oh REG- I'm sorry you are struggling right now. Maybe you're just run down from your trip? I know I was! Even events that are different from the norm can wear one out. I hope you take some precious time to rest up and don't set any goals until you feel up to it. I also hope you don't quit our group right now and reassess things later on - just take a break!... I will miss you if you do go!

Susie - you did wonderfully well with your steps amid your busy week. Hope your back pain subsides quickly. I'm not sure about getting a walker paid for, but I got one awhile back at a drug store and it didn't cost all that much. Mine has a seat with lid that opens to a bag underneath. Very handy!

Mamabug, so glad you had a lovely vacation and you brought your w/c with you for added comfort and accessibility!

I made my goal! I was in the garden weeding like crazy = 4 full wheelbarrows that dh dumped in the woods. Out there for a least an 1 & 1/2 hrs for 4 days with breaks in between. Then spent a couple days cleaning house (only 2 hrs each with breaks inbetween) and babysat one afternoon.

Feeling much better after company left.
            Will set a goal of some form of exercise for 4 days for this coming week.

Take care everyone and have a good week ahead!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goal

Hi everyone

Welcome back Mamabug! Glad to know that your wheelchair made your vacation easier!

Susie it sounds like you were plenty busy which counts as physical activity!

REG53 sorry to learn that you are having a rough time. Wish you would remain in the group, but totally understand that you need a break. You can always come back at any time!

Seasha gardening and housework gets you an A++!

I made goal ~ up on feet and active 4X a day @ 30 min each ~ 5 walks @ 30 min each ~ and stretches.

Two of the walks went smooth while the other three were kind of rough. Nonetheless. I am thankful that I was able to stay up for the 30 min and take steps, even if it wasn't always pretty.

Wishing everyone good energy and please take care in this heatwave.
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Made goals

Sorry for the late check-in - life has been hectic this week!

Thu 6728
                Fri 5247
                Sat 4835
                Sun 6133
                Mon 9302
                Tue 8238
                Wed 8075

I walked over 5000 steps on 6 of 7 days and averaged 6935 steps/day. I will keep same goal for next week.

The weather has not corporated with me this week. High temps from mid 90's - 100's. Humidity has ranged from 78 - 88 and dew points from mid 60's to low 70's. I had ordered some Magnesium lotion and it arrived this afternoon, so maybe that will help some. And my PCP has agreed to refer me another Endocrinologist (I am waiting on a call from them now). I don't know what to blame this extreme fatigue on - the heat or my thyroids - but something has to give here.

KoKo - Great week ! Keep up the good work.

Seasha - Great week ! I can't seem to keep my vegetables watered enough. The only thing that I have gotten so far is a few peppers. My squash has bloomed it's heart out, but that is as far as it has gone. Good luck keeping those weeds out

REG53 - I am sorry to hear that you are dropping out of the group. You will be missed! I know that for me, whenever I get back home from a vacation I generally need a vacation to recuperate. Give yourself a couple of weeks and then make that decision. Maybe by then you will have found goals that you feel comfortable with.

Susie - Good week ! Even though you didn't make your goals you did come close in your steps. That counts as moving more than you would have. Keep moving as much your back will allow.

Mamabug - Good to see you back safe and sound! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation .
                And jumping right back into the goals that you had is a good move (even though I still stand by what I told REG - oftentimes I need a vacation to recuperate from my vacations ).

Wishing everybody a great week, and as KoKo said be careful in this hot weather!

Comment

msgijo

I know that you must have put a lot of effort into your activities this week, while battling the unfavorable weather!

Looking forward to learning of your results from using the Magnesium lotion.

Fingers crossed!
                  Last edited by KoKo; 07-14-2018, 06:05 AM.
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you everyone.

I am having some bad burning pain in my groin and legs. It is very painful to walk and sometimes to sit. I don't have any UTI sx's but I used a test strip and it shows I have a UTI, calling DR. Monday. I have been suffering with this for over a wk. I am in pain and mentally down. Just tired and now have another UTI it's just to much. People don't realize when we get an infection, it reaks havoc with ms sx's. I am now a germaphobe. It's enough to make you crazy, well I guess I'm that too.

Didn't mean to vent but I did.

Thank you all again.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                      Thank you everyone.

I am having some bad burning pain in my groin and legs. It is very painful to walk and sometimes to sit. I don't have any UTI sx's but I used a test strip and it shows I have a UTI, calling DR. Monday. I have been suffering with this for over a wk. I am in pain and mentally down. Just tired and now have another UTI it's just to much. People don't realize when we get an infection, it reaks havoc with ms sx's. I am now a germaphobe. It's enough to make you crazy, well I guess I'm that too.

Didn't mean to vent but I did.

Thank you all again.
                      REG53

Sorry that you've been in pain and feeling down. Let's hope you get rid of the UTI, and maybe then you'll feel much better.

Infections bring out the very worst symptoms for me too, so I understand what you're going through.

The last time I had a bad virus I couldn't even take care of myself, and my sister had to come over to help me.

I've become a total germaphobe like you!

Sending healing thoughts your way.

Comment

Sorry about the auto, the. If there are any health food stores open this weekend, you could consider uva ursi or d mannose to begin treating your uti while waiting for your Monday appointment.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

FYI - For this Thursday

I will be attending the 2018 Kansas Conference on Poverty from Wed - Friday this week) starts tomorrow) in Topeka. I'm looking forward to it. The Harvey County Circle of Hope staff attend every year and usually have some extra funds for volunteers and participants who also wish to attend, so this year I said I was interested. Everything is paid - transportation, conference, lodging, food.

I'll be sharing a hotel room with their director, who all of us at Circle of Hope know and love. I'm looking forward to it. (Circle of Hope is a program where volunteers form 18 month matched circles / intentional friendships with persons who are wishing to get out of poverty. I've been volunteering there since 2012 and am currently on my third matched circle.)

Anyways, I'll still plan to start this week's exercise thread, but my timing may be off a little. I might be a day or two late. Or, I might start it the right day, but just with a short post and update it later. I'll just see what my time, energy and motivation allows.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            Anyways, I'll still plan to start this week's exercise thread, but my timing may be off a little. I might be a day or two late. Or, I might start it the right day, but just with a short post and update it later. I'll just see what my time, energy and motivation allows.
                            Mamabug

Why not go ahead and post the Exercise Check-In (for the 19th) today, and either I or Seasha can Sticky it on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                              Mamabug

Why not go ahead and post the Exercise Check-In (for the 19th) today, and either I or Seasha can Sticky it on Thursday.
                              Sure, I could do that. Thanks. I'll post it early and I can update it when I get back. If anyone adds to this week, and with my report for next week.
                              Last edited by Mamabug; 07-17-2018, 01:05 PM.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X