So it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it begins...

Five years working for a company who's motto is "it's what's inside that counts", that preaches how we're all teammates and we're looking out for one another, after five years of *** busting for them, they let me know today that I have to take a leave of absence or I won't be able to work for the company anymore.

I got a call on Friday of last week with this little ultimatum (and the woman in HR claims its not an ultimatum, we're "looking out for YOUR benefit") and gave me "the weekend to think about it". I'm taking vacation to celebrate the anniversary of my first date with my fiancee and I'm told to call on the second day of my vacation to give my decision.

Speaking to the woman in HR, she explains to me that LOA is my only option because I am "an unfair burden to my teammates".

A company that claimed to be affording me reasonable accomidations turns around and says these accomidations mean that I cannot work for the company. (?!???!)

I drive all the way to work todat (50 miles) but halfway there, the woman from HR and the district manager both call me. I CANNOT report for work because my listed restrictions leave a liability for the company YET I've been doing what I can in the perimeters set AND have gotten somewhat better, Another trip to the doctor would confirm this (set for July 24th) but no.

LOA is the only way.

I have to hope this leads to a way to support myself.
    Helps somehow with medical.

Five years. For what?

Originally posted by ReverseFlash View Post
    Five years working for a company who's motto is "it's what's inside that counts", that preaches how we're all teammates and we're looking out for one another, after five years of *** busting for them, they let me know today that I have to take a leave of absence or I won't be able to work for the company anymore.

I got a call on Friday of last week with this little ultimatum (and the woman in HR claims its not an ultimatum, we're "looking out for YOUR benefit") and gave me "the weekend to think about it". I'm taking vacation to celebrate the anniversary of my first date with my fiancee and I'm told to call on the second day of my vacation to give my decision.

Speaking to the woman in HR, she explains to me that LOA is my only option because I am "an unfair burden to my teammates".

A company that claimed to be affording me reasonable accomidations turns around and says these accomidations mean that I cannot work for the company. (?!???!)

I drive all the way to work todat (50 miles) but halfway there, the woman from HR and the district manager both call me. I CANNOT report for work because my listed restrictions leave a liability for the company YET I've been doing what I can in the perimeters set AND have gotten somewhat better, Another trip to the doctor would confirm this (set for July 24th) but no.

LOA is the only way.

I have to hope this leads to a way to support myself.
    Helps somehow with medical.

Five years. For what?
    Maybe they see something you don't. Maybe they are concerned for your health. There are a number of possibilities....

Did they pay you for your five years of service? If so, that's why you did it. If the door closes, knock on another.

If you feel their actions are outside of the law, consult and attorney.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

How cold and mean! What type of work do/did you do? What are your restrictions? I'm in Canada so I can't speak on US employment matters but just wanted to let you know that we care.
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
        How cold and mean! What type of work do/did you do? What are your restrictions? I'm in Canada so I can't speak on US employment matters but just wanted to let you know that we care.
        Jen
        Thank you.
        Self storage. My limitations were based on updates from my doctor on what I could / couldn't do. A month after I gave my last update to HR, in a time when I feel that much better, stronger - they turn around and don't care if I've healed up. That last requested report had them push for me to take LOA.
        I definitely appreciate that.
        This is what I knew might happen eventually. I prepare for the battle, I just hesitate before I draw my weapon.

Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          Maybe they see something you don't. Maybe they are concerned for your health. There are a number of possibilities....

Did they pay you for your five years of service? If so, that's why you did it. If the door closes, knock on another.

If you feel their actions are outside of the law, consult and attorney.
          Their concerns can be disuaded with another letter from my doctor saying "He's fine to do...this, this, and this"
          They've been fed a bunch of untrue reports from my so called co workers and a district manager who doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
          Payment isn't my issue, my friend. a company that preaches loyalty as mine does turns around with actions like these? I know "why" I did it. The sting of being pidgeonheld into something I invested five years of my life into is fresh.

I'm in the process of reviewing my rights.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ReverseFlash View Post
            Their concerns can be disuaded with another letter from my doctor saying "He's fine to do...this, this, and this"
            They've been fed a bunch of untrue reports from my so called co workers and a district manager who doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
            Payment isn't my issue, my friend. a company that preaches loyalty as mine does turns around with actions like these? I know "why" I did it. The sting of being pidgeonheld into something I invested five years of my life into is fresh.

I'm in the process of reviewing my rights.
            Thank you.
            Understood. Consider the pigeonhole a lesson. So few people realize the commitment they make when they speak. It also seems as though the team is not very unified and based on the scenario you've presented the culture is just something that sounds good but not really practiced. Best of luck.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

It's hard to comment without knowing the details. I am sorry your company is putting you through this.

Do you have a job description? If you can do the job responsibilities with the reasonable accommodations you asked and were granted, it would appear you have a legal case. But if your job says you have to be able to lift 50lbs, but you can only lift 20 lbs, and your co-workers have to pick up for you, then it gets murky as you can no longer do all the responsibilities of the job.

Is the LOA supposed to be for time to recover from a relapse? If you agree, make sure to understand how long your job is legally protected and your company's specific policies related to job absences.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X