New “issues”......leg cramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New “issues”......leg cramps

Hi there fellow limbo landers! I am 4 months into my first flare. I have a lesion on my brain, and 9 confirmed o-bands in my CNF. Primary symptoms are numbness on the right side of my face and head, headaches, dizzy spells, ringing/buzzing in my ears, and fatigue. July 4th I developed a cramp in my left calf. It came on slow and by that night I was limping. For 3 days I could not walk. I could stretch it out slowly and painfully, but that would make my toes go numb. At night while laying in bed the bottom of my foot would tingle.

I litterly “Netflix and chilled” on the couch for those three days because I couldn’t do anything. I was very concerned because it came out of the blue, no explanation for it. I ruled out a blood clot, and I sent a message to my Nero, and scheduled and appointment with my pcp for tomorrow. It feels better now, just a little stiff. I think I have a good Nero because he called me after hours to talk about it. He wants me to still go to my pcp so he can “officially” rule out a blood clot.

My Nero seems confident that it is possibly nerve damage and want another spinal mri. My last spinal mri was the end of April and clean so I really don’t think there is going to be any change. My next brain mri was scheduled for September but he wanted to move that up sooner too. If anything I want this episode documented, and my Nero agreed 100%. He is apprehensive to dx my with ms because my symptoms are not “classic” ms symptoms, but he is not ruling it out. Any thoughts or comments?

Hi Trimybest ~

Besides the subjective symptoms that you have stated, you haven't mentioned the objective signs of MS that would be observed by the neuro during a neurological exam.

This info is from the article entitled Neurological Exam from the MS website Multiple Sclerosis.net:

"In addition to subjective evidence of disease (ie. symptoms which the patient reports), the neurologist will conduct a thorough neurologic examination to measure objective evidence suggestive of MS to help make a diagnosis. Objective signs of MS may be as subtle as abnormal eye movements or pupil response, spasticity or weakness in the limbs, sensory disturbances, and abnormal reflex responses."

https://multiplesclerosis.net/diagno...ological-exam/

Did your neuro find any deficits during the exam? If your exam didn't show anything, I wonder if that could be a reason for his hesitancy in diagnosing? I can't think of anything else that would cast doubt, if all the other rule-out tests have been done.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Objective evidence

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi Trimybest ~

Besides the subjective symptoms that you have stated, you haven't mentioned the objective signs of MS that would be observed by the neuro during a neurological exam.

This info is from the article entitled Neurological Exam from the MS website Multiple Sclerosis.net:

"In addition to subjective evidence of disease (ie. symptoms which the patient reports), the neurologist will conduct a thorough neurologic examination to measure objective evidence suggestive of MS to help make a diagnosis. Objective signs of MS may be as subtle as abnormal eye movements or pupil response, spasticity or weakness in the limbs, sensory disturbances, and abnormal reflex responses."

https://multiplesclerosis.net/diagno...ological-exam/

Did your neuro find any deficits during the exam? If your exam didn't show anything, I wonder if that could be a reason for his hesitancy in diagnosing? I can't think of anything else that would cast doubt, if all the other rule-out tests have been done.

Take Care
      Thank you for the article, the only consistent objective evidence is the numbness, according to this article. The rest of my Nero exam was pretty normal. During this leg episode there were all kinds of things happening that I related to while reading this. I’m just glad it only lasted 4-5 days and now I’m back to “normal.” That would make since though. After my pcp examend me today he looked very confused. I said “it’s not classic, I know.” He said “right, it doesn’t fit into any kind of box!” I’m patient, honestly I’d rather think of this as a fluke than a life long disease.

Comment

Originally posted by Trimybest View Post
        I’m patient, honestly I’d rather think of this as a fluke than a life long disease.
        I hear ya!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Trimybest and welcome to MSWorld.

I have been reading all of your posts and thought maybe I could clear up some of your confusion.

Your Neurologist isn't seeing classic presentation of symptoms. What stood out for me was this:

July 4th I developed a cramp in my left calf. It came on slow and by that night I was limping. For 3 days I could not walk. I could stretch it out slowly and painfully, but that would make my toes go numb.
          In MS, numbness cannot be triggered by position or movement. This disease does cause numbness but those of us who have/had numbness have no control over when numbness will happen. We are unable to stop the numbness by doing or not doing something. This disease dictates when or if the numbness subsides.

Your confusion about the diagnostic criteria is understandable.

You have 9 o-bands, do you know if all of those o-bands are in the CSF or if some are in the serum? The Lumbar Puncture(LP) is used in the diagnostic process for many conditions and o-bands are not specific to MS only.

You have one brain lesion. Lesions can be due to numerous things. Multiple Sclerosis literally means: Many Scars (lesions).

You have a normal Neurological Exam/evaluation. I am aware of only one person that had a normal Neurological exam/evaluation and was diagnosed with MS. Those of us with MS usually never pass a Neurological exam/evaluation. My Neurological exams have always shown deficits.

There is no single test, by it's self, that can give a diagnosis of MS. There is no symptom exclusive to this disease.

Based on the information your Neurologist has he more than likely won't diagnose Clinically Isolated Syndrome(CIS) of MS because your presentation of symptoms isn't "classic" (in his words), you only have one brain lesion and at this time it is uncertain why you have 9 o-bands.

I am in no way say you do or don't have MS, it will probably take more time and patience to determine what the diagnosis will be.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Trimybest View Post
            I’m patient, honestly I’d rather think of this as a fluke than a life long disease.
            In 2003 had a massive (spinal) symptom followed by an MRI that showed a lesion or two, and a "normal" neurological exam. I'm just recently diagnosed in 2018. My contribution to you is: stay long on life, ask your doctor AND your neurologist what follow-ups you should do, stick to those follow-ups with total commitment, but meanwhile live your life to the fullest including a healthy lifestyle. Wishing you the very best. - R
            All the best, ~G

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              Hi Trimybest and welcome to MSWorld.

I have been reading all of your posts and thought maybe I could clear up some of your confusion.

Your Neurologist isn't seeing classic presentation of symptoms. What stood out for me was this:

In MS, numbness cannot be triggered by position or movement. This disease does cause numbness but those of us who have/had numbness have no control over when numbness will happen. We are unable to stop the numbness by doing or not doing something. This disease dictates when or if the numbness subsides.

Your confusion about the diagnostic criteria is understandable.

You have 9 o-bands, do you know if all of those o-bands are in the CSF or if some are in the serum? The Lumbar Puncture(LP) is used in the diagnostic process for many conditions and o-bands are not specific to MS only.

You have one brain lesion. Lesions can be due to numerous things. Multiple Sclerosis literally means: Many Scars (lesions).

You have a normal Neurological Exam/evaluation. I am aware of only one person that had a normal Neurological exam/evaluation and was diagnosed with MS. Those of us with MS usually never pass a Neurological exam/evaluation. My Neurological exams have always shown deficits.

There is no single test, by it's self, that can give a diagnosis of MS. There is no symptom exclusive to this disease.

Based on the information your Neurologist has he more than likely won't diagnose Clinically Isolated Syndrome(CIS) of MS because your presentation of symptoms isn't "classic" (in his words), you only have one brain lesion and at this time it is uncertain why you have 9 o-bands.

I am in no way say you do or don't have MS, it will probably take more time and patience to determine what the diagnosis will be.
              thank you for the info. I know I have a good neruo so I don’t question him. I know he is being cautious. My serum was clear, the o-bands showed in the CSF. He did tell me that “if it is ms, you WILL have another attack.” That is good to know what you said about the neruo exam. I am thankful to know that nothing has effected me in that way. I am the kind of person that likes to have a plan, a solution to a problem. So what I’m experiencing is really going against my grain. It’s a mind game I guess. It’s a problem I have no solution for.

Comment

Working...
              X