Great news/ awful decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news/ awful decision

So yesterday I received my electric wheelchair! I am so excited about it because it now means that I can start living my life again! Because I can't use the right side of my body I have been stuck in my apartment almost 24/7 unless I have a doctor's appointment.

Now that I have my chair, I will be able to get myself out of my apartment I live 2 blocks from the mall I can go window-shopping, I could go see a movie in the middle of the day or even go get my nails done!

The gentleman that delivered it who has been the one working with me as far as getting my measurements and stuff said that if it wasn't for my physical therapist I would not have this chair right now! Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's considered the Cadillac of electric wheelchairs! Not only did Medicare approve it in less than a week but I received it in less than 4 weeks total!

Here's where my week now turns crappy. Tomorrow we are taking my amazing service dog Jake in to be euthanized. :-( this is going to be the hardest thing in my life! He has been such an amazing friend, protector and all around loving dog I have ever had! Unfortunately he has cancer and we made the really hard decision to just bring him home and love on him until his quality of life was ending. We were blessed to have an additional 2 weeks with him but it is obvious that he is suffering now.

I hope this doesn't sound two horrible but I think that this is so much harder on me then even when I lost my dad a few years back! I know it probably comes from the fact that my dad was dealing with some dementia towards the end and we weren't able to be as close. Jake on the other hand, still tries to do his job and I can see in his eyes how bad it hurts him when he knows he can't.

Please keep my husband and I in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this tomorrow. The last thing I need on top of all of this is to go into an exacerbation from the stress.

Good News and Bad News

I was SO pleased to see how happy the arrival of your new wheelchair was making you. The freedom it will bring you cannot be underestimated. Then you got to the part about your beloved service dog. How terribly sad. While my 13 year old golden retriever is not a service dog in any way she does mean the world to me. I can appreciate what a pet can mean to a person but a trained service dog is even more than that. I'm sure you will do what is right for your companion even if it is hard for you. You are lucky to have had each other. May his memory be a blessing.

IRENE

Comment

I am really happy for you that you got the wheelchair, IamStrength, and in such a timely fashion! You words just resounded the joy and excitement you must be feeling. I recently got an all-terrain 4 wheel scooter, so I understand the freedom you must feel .. it's wonderful, isn't it?

On the other hand, I'm truly sorry your beloved dog must be put to sleep. You will always remember how he was your faithful friend to the end.

You and your husband will both be in my prayers
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It is wonderful that Jake could be a huge part of your life for many years. What a blessing to love and have love returned as faithfully as Jake has to you, my dear.

The bible makes a simple statement. God is Love. There is nothing higher, nothing more valuable, nothing more fulfilling, and nothing more important than love; real, true, love. I am sure that describes your relationship with Jake.

I bet you spoiled him like crazy! He was one lucky fellow to have you for a master. There is no way you will not mourn him terribly but keep in mind he would not want you overwhelmed with sadness. I’m sure whenever you were sad he could feel it, too.

So, I believe Jake would want you to grasp for and hold onto all the wonderful memories, all the happiness and love you two gave each other every day.

Tomorrow will be one of the toughest days of your life. My prayer is that the arms of an angel will envelope you and your husband. As Jake falls asleep to finally rest in peace, may peace envelope you in the knowledge of the deep, abiding love you two shared together.

Do not worry and do not fear, Jake knows you love him; that absolute has never left him, nor will it ever. No, such a bond is unfailing; it endures forever. He will never be without your love and you will never be without his. The priceless gift he gave you is yours forever. The priceless gift you gave him is his forever. Death can’t take it away. God is Love.

In the days ahead, when you choose to express affection to others, try doing so with Jake in mind. Touch others as you would touch Jake. Be thoughtful, patient, and kind as you would be with him. Use the love he taught you.

My heart weeps for you, my dear. And yet, I am thankful. I am thankful for companions like Jake that teach us so much about how to truly love. The nature of love is eternal; it does not end, it does not stop. So yes, Jake will be with you, in your heart, as long as you love him; and you will love him forever.

Comment

Thinking of you and your dear Jake.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Thinking of you and your husband as you say goodbye to Jake.

So glad for you about your increased mobility, now that you have your chair. What a difference that will make!

I'm still somewhat mobile -- recently started using a cane when I leave the house. It's helpful for balance. I don't walk more than a block or two anymore. Hubby was recently able to find a used motorized W/C that he purchased for me for only $150. Regularly priced at $2000 - $4000 new, he thinks. But, an elderly parent passed and the family just wanted to get rid of it.

Although I don't expect I'll use it a lot around home, we just got back from a vacation, visiting daughter and her family. They walk a lot of places and I was able to tag along for shopping trips and trips to the park, splash pad, etc. Without it, we would've needed to drive and meet them there, or skip it.

One day, we spent 4 or 5 hours at a cool outdoor museum. I would not have been able to do that at all. Although they have some W/C's available to borrow, it was their big day of the year so their chairs were all in use; I was so glad I had my own. And, the motor makes it much easier to feel more independent than if someone needed to push me.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I can’t even imagine. My eyes filled with tears just reading this. Easier said than done....but try to take comfort in knowing that after all these years of faithful service and companionship he’s now going to a place where he can rest and no longer be in pain. Cherish the good times you had and know that he will always live on in your heart. You and your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
              ― Helen Keller

Comment

I just want to express my deepest condolences on the loss of Jake. Sending healing vibes your way.
                Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

My beloved Jake

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
                  It is wonderful that Jake could be a huge part of your life for many years. What a blessing to love and have love returned as faithfully as Jake has to you, my dear.

The bible makes a simple statement. God is Love. There is nothing higher, nothing more valuable, nothing more fulfilling, and nothing more important than love; real, true, love. I am sure that describes your relationship with Jake.

I bet you spoiled him like crazy! He was one lucky fellow to have you for a master. There is no way you will not mourn him terribly but keep in mind he would not want you overwhelmed with sadness. I’m sure whenever you were sad he could feel it, too.

So, I believe Jake would want you to grasp for and hold onto all the wonderful memories, all the happiness and love you two gave each other every day.

Tomorrow will be one of the toughest days of your life. My prayer is that the arms of an angel will envelope you and your husband. As Jake falls asleep to finally rest in peace, may peace envelope you in the knowledge of the deep, abiding love you two shared together.

Do not worry and do not fear, Jake knows you love him; that absolute has never left him, nor will it ever. No, such a bond is unfailing; it endures forever. He will never be without your love and you will never be without his. The priceless gift he gave you is yours forever. The priceless gift you gave him is his forever. Death can’t take it away. God is Love.

In the days ahead, when you choose to express affection to others, try doing so with Jake in mind. Touch others as you would touch Jake. Be thoughtful, patient, and kind as you would be with him. Use the love he taught you.

My heart weeps for you, my dear. And yet, I am thankful. I am thankful for companions like Jake that teach us so much about how to truly love. The nature of love is eternal; it does not end, it does not stop. So yes, Jake will be with you, in your heart, as long as you love him; and you will love him forever.
                  Myoak, thank you so much for your wonderful words! As I'm writing this Jake has gone to a place with no more pain about an hour ago.
                  I was unable to be there because I knew my body would not be able to handle the emotional stress of the situation. My husband said that his tail never stopped wagging until the very end!
                  I believe that All Dogs Go To Heaven and I have two babies up there that I'm sure or so excited to have him there!

Comment

I understand what you are going through. Seven months ago we lost are beloved Deuce to cancer. He was not a service dog. but the way he took care of me he could been.

My husband found a vet who came to the to the house to put him down. Like always he was on his blanket next to my husbands chair, and like you I couldn't be in the same room.

when I read your post yesterday I started crying, thinking of my Deuce and yore Jake. We just want them to live forever but that's not possible.

Deuce is welcoming Jake into puppy heaven. with all our fur buddies we had to say good bye to.

I can't say it gets easier cause I'm still crying at times over my Deuce.

Dogs give you so much love and understanding.

And I'm happy to hear about your new chair it makes a big difference.

Shoo
                    Shoo

Comment

Service dog

I know exactly what you are feeling. Kovin my service dog of 12-1/2 years was put down in March of this year from multiple gran mal seizures. Our vet believed it was from a brain tumor. What helped buffer his loss was receiving my successor service dog Toggle in December of last year. Both of these dogs have been highly trained by CCI, Cainine Companions for Independence, CCI.org. These dogs are FREE to those with a disability. Once you are selected for team training you spend 2 weeks at a local campus being trained on the commands. Room and board is free with lunches provided by local volunteers.
                      Rich

Comment

Working...
                      X