BLADDER SPASMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLADDER SPASMS

I just looked through the threads here and (because I am looking for this information as I am CERTAIN others are) see that many urinary problems are being discussed but I didn't find one dedicated solely to bladder spasms. Since there are so many problems related to the bladder spasms we face I thought I would start one where we can discuss what we do to control the spasms. Please share what you take that is prescribed (or is over the counter). It may help if you say what country you are located in (because medicines, and their names, vary from country to country).

I will start by saying that I am Oxybutanin but it seems it does not help 100% (I would say it helps ~ 75% of my night-time bladder torture)
    Peace to all,
    LM
    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

I had painful bladder spasms years ago before I was officially dx. My urologist dx me with interstitial cystitis and said I'd have it the rest of my life. In hindsight, it was a MS flare up that lasted a couple months.

He put me on a special IC diet and did a couple bladder dilations during that time. It helped for only a day or two, only to have the spasms return in full force. The last dilation was a nightmare as it tore my bladder wall! I can't remember what he gave me for major pain meds, but told me I had a small bladder and apologized. Gee thanks, Doc.

I do remember using the herb uva ursi and marshmallow root and some aloe and others I can't remember in a tea blend which helped calm things down. I drank many cups a day and with time, all was well. I've never experienced the spasms since. I went to a herbalist to have her make the blend specific to my needs.

I hope you can find some relief. I know first hand how torturous it can be!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi,I was getting bladder spasms quite frequently to find out it was a uti causing the spasms.I was in extreme pain for about a month.Dave

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I will keep checking to see if anyone else comments and shares what helps them.
        Peace to all,
        LM

Comment

Originally posted by Fishytrout View Post
          I just looked through the threads here and (because I am looking for this information as I am CERTAIN others are) see that many urinary problems are being discussed but I didn't find one dedicated solely to bladder spasms. Since there are so many problems related to the bladder spasms we face I thought I would start one where we can discuss what we do to control the spasms. Please share what you take that is prescribed (or is over the counter). It may help if you say what country you are located in (because medicines, and their names, vary from country to country).

I will start by saying that I am Oxybutanin but it seems it does not help 100% (I would say it helps ~ 75% of my night-time bladder torture)
          Same boat I take oxybutanin and the Dr has my taking valum for the bladder spasms. I still have a leaky faucet though and I hate it. And I still wake up and sometimes I'm ok and other days not so lucky. 😥😥😥 I believe that I had MS since I was a kid because of the emotional issues I've always have had then the bladder issues and I was in a lot of pain as I was a teenager. They said childhood arthritis and I would have to say that I should have been checked out back then. I even had speach problems. And I was in special education since starting school until I turned 18.

Comment

Fishy trout,

I don’t have MS ( my wife does ) but I just had several biopsy’s on my bladder and the nurse gave me a prescription for bladder spasms and when I went to have it filled the pharmacist directed me to an over the counter product called “ sunmark urinary pain relief “ that had the same incriednts as the prescription but only cost $7.00. I had bad spasms and took two of them and five minutes later I had lasting relief for five hours. Might be worth a try.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks to all who have posted on this issue. I believe I simply have a "Neurogenic" Bladder which I think I was diagnosed with about 4 yrs ago. I have been taking Magnesium every day because I read on a post in this particular thread that it can help with spasms (part of the "Neurogenic Bladder") I have not seen a difference. Going to ask my Neuro for a Urologist referral. I hope all of you with bladder issues have a Urologist.
              Peace to all,
              LM

Comment

Bladder Issues

I was referred to a urogynecologist who did really thorough tests which showed overactive bladder. First I tried Myrbetric - helped a little, but not enough. I am now receiving botox injections in my bladder ever 4-6 months. It has really helped me and I can always tell when it is wearing off.

Comment

I have a neurogenic bladder also, the urodynamic study showed 50ccs and my spasms to urinate start.

The urologist suggested bladder training which I was very skeptical of but figured I was paying for her advice so I'd try it. She recommended, when at home, to attempt to hold urine and not head to the bathroom as soon as I got the urge. I do believe a part, not all but a part, of the vicious cycle was potentiated by my anxiety/constant using the bathroom especially on trips or in public. I was so terrified of not finding a bathroom when I needed one that as soon as I saw one I forced myself to urinate. The issue however wasn't the actual urine in my bladder but the urges and inability to control the urges which I believe are both mental and physical.

That said my life has improved dramatically especially with regard to anxiety and time spent stopping at a gas station every 30 minutes of a road trip. Its not perfect and I still wake up at least 3-4 times overnight. I also have oxybutin and use it on plane trips but not on a daily basis yet. It is reasonably effective but again doesn't restore me to a normal person's functioning bladder.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                  X