Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing advice of those who know

Greetings and salutations
    Hope I'm not posting a similar thread but I am in need of some advice so I'm just giving this an attempt.
    I've worked all of my life but with my diagnosis back in Jan. 2018, I've had to take a hard look at my continued employment. Despite my documentation to my HR department, denoting their need to "make accomidations", it is harder sometimes to do what's expected and I have worries of injuring myself just trying to "push through it".
    QUESTION; (sorry, I tend to ramble) what suggestions would you make for a job to move in to?

I have over 20yrs of collections experience along with the same amount of customer service know how. Minimizing the physicality and maximing my brain power is my goal.

I know there's a thread with various links but I was looking for the opinions of others that might have faced this.

Don't want to leave my job (company healthcare and a paycheck) but I fear injury to myself if I continue so a change of venue is what I want to do, start again (scary but necessary) so if anybody has any ideas / thoughts, all help will be appreciated.

Reverse Flash...> Zoom?

Hello ReverseFlash,

Since you asked for thoughts...

If you want to continue working I believe your best chance would be by using a highly effective MS DMT. IMO, Tysabri is the one most likely to halt MS with the least number of side issues and the one on which you will feel well enough to continue working.

I see you are considering Ocrevus after your reaction to Copaxone. Ocrevus is a good choice and it is the one I would choose second to Tysabri. I believe Ocrevus is effective, however, my spouse switched from Tysabri to Ocrevus and the difference is substantial and not good... much less energy and a lot more MS symptoms are beginning to surface after all the years on Tysabri when it seemed she didn't even have MS.

As far as your work, or switching jobs goes, KoKo gave you some great advice in another thread. I might add that realistically, it may be really tough or virtually impossible to land another job if MS is making it so you have to quit your present job.

I live in NW Ohio. People here would NEVER in a million years think they were discriminatory. But in the 1990's my spouse with MS was turned down consecutively for about 40 different jobs in this area. Not that she demonstrated ANY physical limitations; she didn't. It was merely the fact that MS was on her application.

I believe it was just before her 43rd interview when I told her not to mention she had MS. So, 42 interviews she told she had MS and was not hired. The first interview she did not mention MS she was hired! Coincidence? Believe what you want. The point is... in spite of laws and whatever people want to protest about... telling an employer you have MS and getting hired will be close to impossible, IMHO, no matter how non-discriminatory they honestly believe themselves to be.

Think about it... two people equally qualified or close, one with MS and one without, who do you hire? In real world business? Most employers don't know much about MS but they are reluctant to hire anyone with potentially huge problems in getting their job done.

So, as I see it, it may be wise to continue on your present course and file for disability if you get to the point where you can no longer do your present job. Definitely study what to do and not do relative to a possible future disability claim. If you don't, you may very well regret not doing so the rest of your life at some point.

Consider Tysabri, which, IMO, is the DMT which has (by far, IMO) the best chance of giving you the strength, health, energy, and quality of life necessary to keep working. Of course, that is only my opinion. But it is based on 36 years of dealing with MS, countless hours of study, and people I know personally on Tysabri.

PML is a concern with Tysabri, however, no one has ever gotten PML if they go 5, 6, 7, or 8 weeks between infusions rather than the standard 4 week interval. Make sure your neuro acknowledges that if you discuss Tysabri; otherwise he/she is not being honest.

Best of luck!

Comment

With relative recent diagnosis, I'd say hold the line where you are currently at and see how things shake out. Many of us actually make a good enough recovery where we can function as close to normal as most and even better than a "healthy" person who is less than ambitious. Of course you alone no your limitations and I'd never advocate doing something that would put yourself or others in danger but at 6 months in, I'm pretty sure your body still has some healing and re-wiring to do. Stay active and eat healthy.

I was completely paralyzed on the left side of my body at one time, I still have residual pains and sensations but I can walk, run and keep up with the best of them now. Tomorrow may be a different story but today, I can, so I will.

For what it's worth I have never taken a DMD. You mileage may vary.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

UPDATE:

So I got a call from HR and they explained that because of too many acceptions in my case and me being an "unfair burden" to my co workers, I was forced into signing up for temporary disability.
        Called a lawyer who bottom lined it for me: retain him and he'll go after them to reinstate me but they can turn around and say my multiple acceptions make it impossible for me to work.
        He advised me to take the disability, get paid but contact him back before the end of the 12 weeks to let him know what my company's next move is.
        I actually signed up for a training program for I.T. services where I receive training through the state and I have the posibility at a new job at the end of this.
        I know what they did was wrong but I can't fight it. Know what I'm doing is the right step. Just continuing forward.

Comment

Sorry for your experience. Hope your new career works out.

Unfortunately, the "reasonable accomodations" can be somewhat subjective. I retired early once my work was adversely impacting others on my team, even with accomodations.

Sounds like you got good advice.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

If your current employer has a long-term disability policy than DO NOT change jobs. I would suggest you get a copy of your current LTD policy and become intimately familiar with it. In many cases, LTD has a discharge period of 12 or 24 months. Meaning you have to work there 12 or 24 months before you can actually go out on LTD. Starting a new job, even one with long-term disability, will restart your pre-existing conditions timer and you won't qualify for LTD if it becomes necessary. SSDI alone will almost certainly not pay you what LTD will so by changing jobs could be putting yourself in financial peril.

I would also suggest you seek opinions from one or two additional attorneys. This is way too important to just go with the first lawyer you contact. Even if you decide to go with the first attorney, you will probably learn something from each person you contact. And if they are all given in identical advice then you're probably on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              I retired early once my work was adversely impacting others on my team, even with accomodations.
              I have given this a lot of thought and have resigned myself to this plan also. When/if I'm unable to do my job although I will be heartbroken and even more angry at MS I will accept the writing on the wall and move on. At this point, I'm in my 50s already, so disability/early retirement will probably be my most reasonable next option.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Don't rush into anything at this point. When I was diagnosed I was put on Avonex which made me sicker every day. The doctor told me it was not the med but the MS doing that so I did ask for a part time position at the place I worked for 16 years at that point.

My boss was only too happy to create a position for me and he was ecstatic to cut my pay, my hours, my benefits, vacation and sick days! You can imagine what all that did to my social security! But I stayed on to my 28th year, working about 2 hours a day. That's when I retired. It just wasn't worth going in anymore.

Be very careful what you tell people. If you want to keep working and feel like you are able, keep your mouth tightly closed until you are forced to disclose.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Please consider contacting the attorney who volunteers on this site. Do get ahold of your company´s short and long term disability policies. I worked for 4.5 years after diagnosis and then just could not do the job- relapses, fatigue and cognitive issues. Thankfully the short and long term disability worked out. You don´t say how old you are or if you have worked enough to qualify for SSDI.

If you leave your current employer, you may jeopardize your future LTD insurance, so Please oh please consult a disability lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by ReverseFlash View Post

Reverse Flash...> Zoom?
                    I know this is unrelated to your actual question but I had to answer this.... yes reverse flash >than all other speedsters.... I do hope you can get your job to work with you though. Unfortunately I don’t have advice for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X