Question for attorney (and others) about coordinating FMLA and STD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for attorney (and others) about coordinating FMLA and STD

I have a question about coordinating STD and FMLA.

My neuro has agreed that my MS has progressed to the point where the duties of my job (high school teacher) are too much. I need to take some time off (maybe permanently) and plan to continue the summer break with using my FMLA as a start. As a teacher, I have accumulated enough sick time to cover my full FMLA.

My question is: if I need to continue past the 3-month point of my sick time and begin my STD (30 waiting period), when do I notify HR and the insurance company? Should HR notify me? I do not want to invoke my STD before all of my sick time is used.

Do you work in a school district that is u ion? If do, can your union rep help with procedures?

Usually STD notification procedures vary by employer/organization. How it is managed can be in-house or some firms even contract it out. You could always ask your HR rep what the process is, should you need it.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I would gently inquire as to the process with HR at the start of the school year (advising that you need the information in case your doctor doesn't release you to return to work). I would then contact HR to start the actual process no later than a week before your FMLA runs out. As the short term disability (STD) forms often have a portion completed by your doctor, you may want to proactively schedule an appointment with your neurologist for shortly before your FMLA expires.

STD can be administered by your company's HR or an insurer, so be aware that there may be multiple calls and contacts needed to get this process moving.
      Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
      X