MS and new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and new job

So I think I may have shot myself in the foot.

I just recently got offered a new job. With every job I’ve had since diagnosis, I’ve never disclosed that I have MS.

Today was my pre-employment screening and drug test. I’ve never had a screening that was so in depth. I had to list all my medications and medical conditions. I didn’t know if I should be honest or keep that info to myself. However, I was afraid that if I kept it to myself that something would show up later and I’d be caught lying and potentially lose my job.

So I was honest. The nurse went over my medical history and asked how long I’d had MS and if I’d had any recent flares. I told her I hadn’t had any flares or issues since dx back in 2012 and since being on Tecfidera which was the truth.

I’m worried though that this could potentially hurt me? Would it have been better to have lied? They took a urine and blood test and I didn’t know if the medication I was on for the MS would have shown up? I had to list my primary doctors info as well and they could easily contact them and get that info since I signed a release.

I don’t know. What do you guys think? I mean it’s too late now...what’s done is done. I’m just worried I may have hurt my chances. I really need and want this new job!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
    ― Helen Keller

Hi Ladybug,

You were honest. At the end of the day we have to live with ourselves. The job, as important as it may seem now isn't as important as a clear conscience.

Others may disagree, but...

If you took the job without disclosure, you would constantly be on edge or stressed as to the truth coming to light. Do you want a job situation where you attempt to hide recurring symptoms?

If you don't get the job you want, another job will come along. I know, it's easy to say.... What we all really NEED is patience. We don't want to live a lie.

You did the right thing IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
      Hi Ladybug,

You were honest. At the end of the day we have to live with ourselves. The job, as important as it may seem now isn't as important as a clear conscience.

Others may disagree, but...

If you took the job without disclosure, you would constantly be on edge or stressed as to the truth coming to light. Do you want a job situation where you attempt to hide recurring symptoms?

If you don't get the job you want, another job will come along. I know, it's easy to say.... What we all really NEED is patience. We don't want to live a lie.

You did the right thing IMHO.
      Thank you for your response. You are right in saying we don’t want to live a lie. That is so true. With previous jobs I was always on edge worrying that they would somehow find out. I don’t really regret being honest. I just hope it doesn’t hurt my chances. This job would mean a better salary and better health insurance. Both of which I so desperately need!

However, it’s out of my hands now and like you said.....would I really want to work for a company who discriminates like that? It’s sad that many companies do though. It’s not as if we chose to get MS. However, I do understand their reasoning. Companies have to do what’s best for the company. I’ve already given notice to my current job so if this new job rescinds their offer I’ll be out of a job which scares me to death!

I guess if it’s meant to be it will be. Thanks again for your response!

― Helen Keller

Comment

You did right

if you didn’t disclose it,that would be eating at you all the time! Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug162 View Post
          I’ve already given notice to my current job so if this new job rescinds their offer I’ll be out of a job which scares me to death!
          Cora, I wish you luck and agree that you did the right thing for your health. If you quit your job to take this job, and they suddenly rescind the offer after your disclosure, an employment attorney could guide you on next steps. Since it is a pretty simple situation at this point, it may be pretty easy to get them to write a letter to force the company to stand by their offer or - not really the most appealing outcome - get some compensation because you quit your previous job.

All the best, R
          All the best, ~G

Comment

Since you had the offer already, if for any reason they rescinded, you should be covered by the ADA. Harder to prove discrimination if you didn't have the offer. So as long as you can do the job, you shouldn't have any issues

Congrats! Good luck.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks all! I guess what I’m most worried about is couldn’t they technically rescind my job offer for lying instead of for having MS? The reason I say this is you know how on job application they ask if you have any of the following disabilities including MS? Well I checked no as I always do with any job application because I’ve always been afraid to disclose my dx. I’ve always felt that was like putting a big scarlet letter on your application.

Of course I had no idea the pre-employment screening was going to be as in depth as it was or I probably would have answered that question differently. So that’s my fear. If they do rescind my offer couldn’t they say it was because I lied on the application and had nothing to do with the fact that I have MS?

― Helen Keller

Comment

I went through the same thing. If you search for my posts, you can find the thread. I didn't get confirmation I had the job until 2 business days before my start date...7 or weeks AFTER I accepted the offer!

I've been there a year now. I still didn't disclose to my boss or team. Occupational health records (in the US) have to be kept separate from personnel files. I don't want my MS to impact what people THINK I can do. I'll disclose when I can't hide it and when I have a good lawyer.

But you did the right thing, I think! You were honest, and that's always good. Plus, if you ever file for STD or LTD, they may scrutinize your records & who knows what complications dishonesty could cause.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                  Since you had the offer already, if for any reason they rescinded, you should be covered by the ADA. Harder to prove discrimination if you didn't have the offer. So as long as you can do the job, you shouldn't have any issues

Congrats! Good luck.
                  I agree. I've always gotten the offer in hand prior to doing the physical examination but have been honest when I'm going to get health benefits from the company. I have done this with four companies since I was diagnosed and so far, knock wood, I have not been refused the job nor to the best of my knowledge has anyone in my departments learned of my medical history.

I don't ever disclose to my supervisor or coworkers because I fear that type of scrutiny and discrimination would be very hard to prove. Congrats on your new job!
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Thanks all! I guess what I’m most worried about is couldn’t they technically rescind my job offer for lying instead of for having MS? The reason I say this is you know how on job application they ask if you have any of the following disabilities including MS? Well I checked no as I always do with any job application because I’ve always been afraid to disclose my dx. I’ve always felt that was like putting a big scarlet letter on your application.
                    Is that how it was actually state on the application? "any of the following DISABILITIES, including MS?" Because if so, I think you will be fine. Because you are not currently disabled by MS nor are you requesting any accommodations for your MS. And if they ask you about it, you can say just that you checked no, because you aren't disabled by it. Besides that, under the ADA, it doesn't look like employers are able to ask any disability-related questions prior to a job offer.

I think that disclosing your MS at your pre-employment screening was absolutely the correct thing to do. While not disclosing it on the application is one thing (and I believe as I stated above) that it is not necessary to do so, this is where not disclosing it would have come back to bite you and would have given them every right to rescind the offer due to you lying--not due to you having MS.

At this point, you have been honest at the screening and if they rescind the offer, you are protected under the ADA, for both the application and the disclosure.

So take a deep breath, and know that you have done the right thing and be excited about your new job!!

Comment

Of course I had no idea the pre-employment screening was going to be as in depth as it was or I probably would have answered that question differently. So that’s my fear. If they do rescind my offer couldn’t they say it was because I lied on the application and had nothing to do with the fact that I have MS?
                      Wow. I never saw an application that was specific like that. I didn't think they were allowed to ask about disability in screening applications. What field are you in?

I still think you should be fine. MS in itself is not classified as a disability. Some symptoms can lead to accommodations of a disability, but a diagnosis alone is not a disability.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I’ve never heard of an employment application that asked about physical disability. In fact, it was my understanding that those questions are specifically prohibited by the ADA, if the employer has more than 15 employees.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
                          I’ve never heard of an employment application that asked about physical disability. In fact, it was my understanding that those questions are specifically prohibited by the ADA, if the employer has more than 15 employees.
                          My understanding is that they can't ask until you have an offer. Then anything is free game, and they can ask whatever they want to verify you can do the job. At that point, burden of proof is effectively on the employment candidate to prove ability. ADA doesn't seem like much help for MS, because it's too variable. It only covers you if you meet disability criteria, so if you are trying to prove you CAN work, you're kind of SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                            Wow. I never saw an application that was specific like that. I didn't think they were allowed to ask about disability in screening applications. What field are you in?
                            My guess is these specific type questions are from the pre-employment physical not the actual job application. Usually the application itself only asks if you have a disability, yes or no type question, right?
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            Anonymous

Comment

Thanks all for your input and advice. I really appreciate it.

Sorry for the late reply. My sweet dog unexpectedly passed away recently. She was a young and very healthy German Shepherd so her sudden death took me by surprise. I’ve been crying for days to the point of giving myself migraines. Haven’t gotten much sleep. To a point I think I’m still in shock. The house is so quiet and not the same without her. She will me missed. It may sound silly to most, but she was more than just a dog to me...she was family.

I don’t recall the exact wording on the application I completed. I just know for sure it asked if I had any of the following....and MS was one of the conditions listed. I have tried pulling back up the application to get the exact wording, but I can’t find it. I assure you I’m not making this up though or I wouldn’t be so worried. Your comments have given me some reassurance though. Perhaps I didn’t read it correctly or misunderstood what it stated somehow.

Anyway, I do appreciate again all of your feedback. Thank you for making me feel better.

― Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X