Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new pump!

Hi all!

I have been living with MS for a long time. ON in 1985. Diagnosis in 1990. Like many of you spasticity is a problem.
    In 2003 I got my first baclofen pump which has helped.

Now my 2nd pump is over 6 years old and will need to be replaced sometime soon. I'm not really sure why I'm posting except I have a different doctor who handles my pump refills. He is also a neurosurgeon so he'll be doing the surgery.

I guess I'm just nervous because I'm older (58) than I was before and also will be having the surgery in a different hospital and by a different doctor than my first two pumps. Guess I'm just looking for support.

Thanks! Ei

1 yr old "pumpster" here and 57. If you have confidence in your new team, you should be good to go. Good luck and God speed! (and loose limbs).

Comment

Thanks Brad.

I'm not too worried since I didn't have any problems with my other pump surgeries. I just don't like being in the hospital.
      I'm pretty self sufficient but they won't even let me go to the bathroom by myself!

Thanks again! Ei

Comment

I agree. Being in a hospital is no fun. They also loaded me up with antibiotics: extra, supreme no fun!

Comment

I had my pump replaced last year. It barely counts as a hospital visit when they send you home as soon as you open your eyes. I was in at 7:00, out at noon. Half of that was filling out paperwork and waiting. I’m 67, so being older did not seem to matter.

I hope your replacement goes well.

Comment

Wow kmallory! That's great they got you in and out so quickly. I had all three of my surgeries in a hospital. It was outpatient but I had to spend the night. Then they released me in the morning. It was a real pain.

Thanks for your response it sounds like you have a good attitude!

Hey Brad I came across an old thread of yours. You failed your test dose? Does the pump work for you now?

Mine works ok. Keeps me from being stiff as a board. Also cuts out the annoying spasms, but it's not perfect.

Thanks for your responses.
            Ei

Comment

Thanks for your response kmallory!

I forgot about people saying they were in and out so quickly. My surgeries were considered outpatient too but I had to spend the night. It's a real pain. I'm glad you didn't have any problems.

Hey Brad. I came across an old thread. You failed your test dose. Does the pump work for you now?

Comment

Sorry about the similar posts I didn't think the first went through. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by Leenyi View Post
                  T

Hey Brad. I came across an old thread. You failed your test dose. Does the pump work for you now?

First test dose at 50 didn't do a thing. Then, a month later, they tried 100, and it worked. I had a pump installed in April '17.

Comment

Baclofen pump replacement

Lennyi,
                    I am 69 and will be going in for my 3rd pump in a few months. I have never thought about the surgery since I have always handled them very well. I have been through quite a few surgeries since 1984. I have had lumbar spinal fusions with rods and screws, sacral stimulator in and out, colostomy and a few more.

I have no Baclofenin my pump now. The main medication is Prialt (Ziconotide)which replaces Morphine and Baclofen. For me it works better than both medications.
                    Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X