POTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POTS?

i’ve read that Dysautonomia and POTS can be caused by MS. I have had issues in the past with tachycardia. Now, in addition to the dizziness and vertigo I was having, I sem to be experincing POTS. I am getting very dizzy sometimes when bending over but mostly after crouching up and standing.
    Once it happens, it doesn’t go away for a while. Does anybody experience this?

Check your blood pressure when sitting, then standing. Postural changes can also affect BP - I believe it is called orthostatic hypotension when your BP drops when going from laying down too sitting up and standing.

As far as I know, orthostatic hypotension is not MS related. It can happen with age, medications side effects, even dehydration or just moving too fast.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Boy can I relate to your post!

In my mid-forties (after having a definite MS dx of 20+ years), I starting experiencing this symptom. My father had just passed away, and I moved into "my family home" as I didn't want to leave the house unoccupied. I was struggling to maintain full-time employment (fatigue, cognitive issues, balance, bladder, etc.). I took this opportunity to apply for SSDI, etc.

But, the basement leaks when we get heavy rains, so I was bending, stooping, standing, etc., more than usual. I would get very dizzy, vertigo, etc., and it would last a few minutes longer than usual. I didn't know if it was age, MS, stress, etc. So, I went to my PCP first.

He tested my blood pressure (doing the postural changes, etc.) but everything came back fine with the BP. I went to my neuro for a consult. Stable MRI (with help of Avonex since age 30), and found nothing "new" with my neurological exam.

But when standing with eyes closed with my arms bent across my chest, I felt as if my body was leaning forward, but I DIDN'T fall over, stumble, or move, etc. The neurologist wasn't certain if it was MS?

To me, I feel it is the MS and a slow progression of any underlying balance issues that I may have that have slowly worsened with age, but it's my only best guess!

Best wishes as you search for answers!
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Working...
      X