• Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 06/14/18

Six checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:
    Two made stated goals.
    One made a partial goal.

GOALS MISSED:
    Two did not make their stated goals. Susie -- you still did a lot this week. Susie and Reg -- sorry both of you were feeling bad. We need to listen to our bodies when we can't do as much as usual.

OTHER:
    One is working on setting new goals. Karen -- I'm sorry for your challenges. But, you're doing the right thing. Assessing what you can do and working on finding a new plan that will work for you.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made both goals

Thurs - 3061 steps; Silver Sneakers
    Fri - 2225 steps; Wellness Center
    Sat - 1207 steps
    Sun - 1359 steps
    Mon - 1379 steps; a little bit of chair exercises on YouTube
    Tues - 2161 steps; Silver Sneakers
    Wed - 2734 steps; Wellness Center

Total = 14,126 steps Average = 2018 steps

Same goal next week.
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, Wellness Center, PT, chair exercises or something else.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Reached goals and beyond.

Hi Everyone!

Well, it was volunteer week for someone who was sick. I thank our Higher Power I felt so much better this week. Very tired after a couple of the days and I'm done until fall. I did some of the youtube chair exercises and a few stretches from previous PT. Very proud of you Faith you made both!!! I have to say, this week shocked me! What would I do without all of you here to keep me motivated. Thank you for that.........I really mean it.

Thurs-2012 and chair exercises
      Fri-4454
      Sat-2258 and chair & stretches
      Sun-4896
      Mon-4490
      Tues-8084 (volunteer)n really pooped out that night.
      Weds-5709 (volunteer)

Total=31,603
      Average=4514

I leave on Tuesday to see my MS Dr. and anxious to see her. I need a prescription for a rollator which I will not use all the time, but when it's necessary. I've had some dany falls the last 6 months. I don't want to live in fear. My injury on my bum from 2009 is what I worry about most. It's been a good week and I hope for all of you as well. We'll all just keep on truckn.

Have a wonderful weekend to all of you and I'm dang proud of our little group.

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Made Goals

Goals are: 5000 steps on 4 or more days week or average 5000 steps/day.

Thu 7889 (installed 'doggie door')
        Fri 5861
        Sat 2537
        Sun 3901
        Mon 6813
        Tue 8526 (shopping for clothes)
        Wed 7217 (shopping for fresh corn to freeze and other vegs to eat now)

I made over 5K steps on 5 of 7 days and averaged 6111 steps/day .

Didn't think that I was going to make my goals - I got sick Friday afternoon and ended up sleeping mostly until Monday morning. Still felt yucky then, but better. I felt so bad that on Sun I didn't even go to barn to feed the kitten that I had found in the chicken pen and moved to the barn . Lest anyone think that I was being cruel, the kitten can come and go as it wants to, but that was a good place for it so that the puppy wouldn't bother it. It is a wild (feral) kitten and has finally gotten 'tame' enough to come out of hiding so that I can see that it is still hanging around, but will not let you touch it. A perfect 'barn cat'.
        I have said NO to my husbands ideas and concentrated on catching up on my stuff. This week I will be creaming corn for the freezer, so he will just have to find things that he can do all by himself . AND next week is my main volunteer week (it will actually go from next week into the following weeks report because I pick up the perishable items on Fri and we give out the food on Sat). SO I will keep same goals for next week.

Susie - Great week ! It looks like you are getting into a routine that works for you. Getting a
        rollator is a great idea, but I am curious about if you have a cane to use? Both are useful in preventing falls and both can be a pain to use. I can say that because I have a rollator, several types of canes, a manual wheelchair and enough other devices to fill an entire room. At least I have choices of what I think may work better for me in different situations . BTW - most of these items were 'inherited' from my grandparents.

Mamabug - Great week ! You are on a roll here! Keep up the momentum. And thanks for posting the chair exercises. I bookmarked them, but I have to admit that I have not tried any yet. I am 'saving' them for the days when it is simply too hot to do anything else .

Congrats to all for doing as much as you are able to do, and cheers for all who have accomplished a goal.

Comment

I did not make goal. I made partial goal.

1 day I did a little yardwork and container gardening.
          2 rode bike
          3 ran errands and a short shopping trip

I am up and down during the day doing a little of this and that.

Mamabug, Diamond, and msjilo, all of you had such a great wk

msjilo I'm glad you started feeling better and was able to make goal.

Hoping all of us have a great wk.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Made Goal

Hi everyone

Made goal ~ up on feet doing activities 4X a day, every day, at 30 min each ~ including 5 walks during the week at 30 min each ~ and stretches.

Thankfully I had a decent week. It feels like my endurance has improved somewhat.

Used the AC as needed, for optimal performance.

Looks like everyone made goal or partial goal, which is terrific.

Wishing everyone a good week with plenty of energy and perseverance.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

msgijo

Hi there!

Yes, I do use a cane and have different ones. When I do my hard core walking is when I would use the rollator. I've been having some dizzy spells and I can feel when they're coming on and the seat would be great. I have so many questions for my MS Dr. this time I feel like I'll be there until Christmas. I was so grateful last Friday my A/C was installed. That has helped with being more comfortable. You certainly have great weeks and can't believe it sometimes!!!!! Keep it up. Have a nice weekend and I know you'll be busy!

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS
              Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post

... I have a rollator, several types of canes, a manual wheelchair and enough other devices to fill an entire room. At least I have choices of what I think may work better for me in different situations . BTW - most of these items were 'inherited' from my grandparents.
                Lol; that's beginning to sound like me. I've had a folding cane ("Ingrid") for a long time. It used to be the only cane I had and I used it only when I was in a flare and needed it for mobility (in the past), and when I needed it for balance in the swimming pool (in more recent years). "Ingrid" was purely functional, just a simple black folding cane. I used "her" only when I needed her. I could put her away in the closet, sometimes for years, if I didn't have a need.

In February, I bought a regular cane ("Allison") and purchased a tri-pod tip to put on the bottom. The tip works better if it is not on a folding cane, and I like the tip for stability (the cane is not so wobbly when I use it) and because it stands when I am not using it. I still use the folding cane if I go the pool because it is easy to open up and drain out the water when I'm done. "Allison" is prettier than "Ingrid". "She" is light blue in color with a silvery spiral design.

I used to use / borrow wheelchairs in zoos, museums, airports, etc when I couldn't walk that far. And our church has a wheelchair that I borrowed once in awhile if needed.

Now I own a power wheelchair. I haven't had occasion to use it yet, but I see a couple of times that I might this summer and fall. If I have to walk more than a block or two, I tire.
                • I haven't named my wheelchair yet. Any suggestions, anybody?
                • We also have a tandem bike. Maybe it needs a name too.

Mamabug - Great week ! You are on a roll here! Keep up the momentum. And thanks for posting the chair exercises. I bookmarked them, but I have to admit that I have not tried any yet. I am 'saving' them for the days when it is simply too hot to do anything else .
                You're welcome, msgijo, for the chair exercises. I like to have them available, too, if I don't get to the Rec Center/Wellness Center to exercise frequently enough.
                Last edited by Mamabug; 06-15-2018, 11:22 PM.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Made partial goals.

I am still trying to work out exactly what I can do and when. I did not do enough this last week but am trying my best to do all I can this week.

It sounds like people are really dedicated and doing the best they can. I applaud you all.

Mamabug I love the names of your canes. I have gone beyond the cane stage. I have a lucite one which is clear. I used to get a lot of comments on it. I never thought of naming it. My husband as a joke one Christmas gave me a lucite plumbers friend to match my lucite cane which a friend called my crystal cane.

Best wishes to you all.

Comment

I walk 4 times a week in Costco and/or HEB while my wife shops. And she just found this video: Workout with Miranda Esmonde-White, AGING BACKWARDS author
                    I found some of these on YouTube, or she sells a DVD on Amazon. But real gentle stretching exercises.
                    Just started on those yesterday.

Keep in mind that the walking in Costco and HEB started about a year or 18 months ago. before that I always used a cane or took a scooter. I love walking and am glad I made the decision to keep walking even if it's tiring. I walk usually for about 25 or 30 minutes at various speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by modernjazz View Post
                      I love walking and am glad I made the decision to keep walking even if it's tiring. I walk usually for about 25 or 30 minutes at various speeds.
                      Hi modernjazz

I share the same sentiment about walking!

Even though I need to use a rollator, and it takes much effort (my walking isn't exactly graceful or a very pretty sight to behold) I'm still very thankful for the ability.

So many benefits for overall good health are achieved from walking.

modernjazz, hope to see you check-in here, every Thursday, to let us know how you are doing!

Take Care
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

modernjazz, Wecome to the exercise thread. That's a great idea, doing your walking exercise while your wife shops.

Hope you come back next wk..
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

Modernjazz --
                          Welcome to our exercise thread. Good fir you with your regular walking.

We hope to see you back every week.

Sometime, I want to look for the video you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

REG53 - Great week ! Partial goals add up, as does a little of this and a little of that. Even tho we set specific goals, the main goal for all of us is to be more active, and it seems that all of us are doing that .

KoKo - Great week (as always) ! And thanks for the compliments last week. Writing has always been a skill that I have had - probably because I read so much .

Susie - not as many steps this weekend - I am creaming corn for the freezer. Lots of working but few steps. I should pick up my step count later this week as I start with volunteer work. But I am spending a lot of 'free time' talking to the new kitten and trying to tame it. It will play with my hand now (as long as I don't try to touch it). Thanks for the encouragement!

modernjazz - WELCOME TO OUR GROUP! Stretches are the only "exercise" that I do on a regular, but I move around a lot and so I count steps. Hope to see you again next week.

ShrinkKaren - Great job on your partial goal ! You are an inspiration to me (both here and on the weight forum) because you always keep pushing on and little by little you reach your goals. That shows me that these are long range goals, not a 'once and done' deal, so Thank you!

Mamabug - how about Lucile for your wheelchair? You could always put orange ribbons or bows on her to make do for the carrot top hair . No real idea for the bike, but something mythical would be nice and original. (I originally thought about "Tom and Jerry" simply because my granddaughter named my new kitten 'Tom' and told me that I needed a mouse (Jerry) for it to play with ).

Comment

Mamabug - how about Lucile for your wheelchair?
                              Maybe that will work; I'll think about it. Thanks.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X