Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way do I go!! Aubagio, Betaseron or Rebif??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which way do I go!! Aubagio, Betaseron or Rebif??

OK! So I rarely post but I'm not sure which way to go. I have been on Plegridy for about 2 years, but based on last weeks MRI, it's not doing it's job. My neuro wants me to go for Aubagio, Betaseron or Rebif and I am looking for experiences on ANY. I have been on Copaxone, Avonex and Tecfidera before and couldn't tolerate any of them for different reasons, so I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar journey, because right now I'm too tired to figure it out and my new course of treatment might just be pretending I don't have MS if I can't figure this out soon Thanks in advance for any advice!

Storygirl, I have no suggestions but I suspect that I am in the same boat. I see the neurologist tomorrow and I will likely come off of Plegridy. I was on Copaxone, Tec, Gilenya, Avonex, Augagio, and then Plegridy. Copaxone for 2 years and Plegridy for 2 years. I’m going to try to request something stronger. Sorry you are going through this too.

Comment

Make sure to check out the sticky in this forum that compares the disease modifying drugs. I would pay close attention to the efficacy. Personally, I would want to be on the strongest I could be on. But you have to balance the risks and side effects with your own personal situation and medical history.

I was on Avonex and Rebif before Tysabri. Tysabri halted my disease progression.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Storygirl,

Just my thoughts...

I have to say pretending to not have MS is awfully tempting to anyone faced with such complex treatments decisions!

You apparently have RRMS so when it is in remission pretending you don't have it is okay. But when it flares up or when a new lesion is discovered it pretty much forces a choice of one DMT or another, no matter how difficult the choice.

You said you have been on 4 MS meds and your neuro wants you to consider 3 more and pick one. The problem I see is that the 3 he gave you to pick from are no more effective in slowing disease activity than the first 4.

Two notables DMTs not on your list to pick from are Tysabri and Ocrevus. Notable because both are significantly more effective than any of the others mentioned in your post.

All MS meds have a unique set of risks but, perhaps, the biggest risk the less effective DMTs carry is the risk of treating MS with a med not effective enough to make a significant difference in decreasing disease activity.

If HSCT is not an option then Tysabri or Ocrevus are options to consider if the 4 lesser meds have not worked... and... if your MS is aggressive enough to believe the 3 other meds with similar effectiveness to the first 4 may not slow disease progression enough for you, either.

I guess the question to ask is... if the first 4 meds were not effective, what is the basis for believing other meds of similar effectiveness would work? Is it time to consider something highly effective?

If so, HSCT, Tysabri, and Ocrevus are all substantially more effective compared to the DMTs mentioned in your post... Copaxone, Avonex, Tecfidera, Plegridy, Aubagio, Betaseron, or Rebif.

You have my empathy because treatment decisions are murderously difficult! Counsel with those who are helpful, gather the best info you can, and make a choice you can sleep with. No one has a crystal ball that can predict the future. Have courage and may God's blessing be with you!

Comment

Working...
        X