Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has this every happened to anyone immediately after performing intermittent self cath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has this every happened to anyone immediately after performing intermittent self cath

Hi,
    Today I performed intermittent self catherazation with disposable lubricated catheter. After I inserted the catheter into my urethra urine started to flow into the measuring container. Once the urine flow stopped I gently and slowly removed the catheter. I discarded the catheter.

I placed the measuring container with the urine on the desk. While I was washing my hands I got a strong sensation that I needed to urinate. I said that it must be in my mind, its impossible because I just finished cathing about 1 minute ago. Well sure enough urine stared to come out, on my leg and the floor. About another 30 ccs.

This has never happened to me before. I went into a state of panic. I am waiting for the nurse to call me back.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Does anyone know why this would have happened?

Thanks
    Blue Satin

Yes but does not surprise me can be onset of a UTI and even with cath the bladder does not fully empty if you push on your bladder you can see that more will come out. the urgency after cath can be from irritation of the urinary track.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
      Yes but does not surprise me can be onset of a UTI and even with cath the bladder does not fully empty if you push on your bladder you can see that more will come out. the urgency after cath can be from irritation of the urinary track.
      Thanks so much for responding. I tested my urine with UTI Strips. All negative thus far. I will try pushing on my bladder. If my urinary track is irritated any suggestions how to alleviate that problem?

Comment

The cath penin (inside the bladder), likely was above the lowest point in the bladder. Try removing it SLOWer! very slow. It MIGHT help?

Comment

I agree. When the stream stops I slowly move it out and and then back in again to fetch some more. It has become second nature since I’ve been doing it for so many years.

Thank goodness for self cathing. I can’t imagine living with a folly catheter and the bag.

Comment

Working...
          X