Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mild RRMS considering switch to Ocrevus

Hi everyone,

New to the site. Diagnosed RRMS in 2005, pins & needles in my feet have been the only symptom I’ve had. Rebif for years, then switched to Plegridy when it came out. No new symptoms and stable MRIs. I’m 52, run & exercise a few times a week and have worked at the same company for years. I feel very fortunate to have what so far seems to be a mild MS.

I mostly tolerate the interferon side effects though my Neuro has suggested if they are bothersome enough I could switch to Ocrevus. I nearly did in December though was concerned by the relative newness compared to interferon. I kind of felt like “let’s not rock the boat,” and the person who was going to sign me up for Ocrevus mentioned that (at the time) there were 4 reported deaths post infusion that may have been comorbidity but not known. I haven’t found any info on these reports, but it cooled me off on switching to Ocrevus.

Since then I have been reading people’s experiences here and with my next Neuro visit coming up this month, I am encouraged and again tempted to switch. Infusion every 6 mo’s seems like a no-brainer compared to a shot every 2 weeks followed by 48+ hrs flu-like symptoms, some nausea, & blues. I also saw a report of study results that showed Ocrevus efficacy was better compared to Rebif (I assume Plegridy would show similar results).

So that is what I’m grappling with...do I switch to Ocrevus now, or continue tolerating the interferon?

Interested to know this community’s perspective on this.

Thanks for reading

Kudo’s for using the interferons for as long as you have. When i was diagnosed in 2010, i knew they were not an option for me. I chose Tysabri since my neurologist believed in swinging the sledgehammer to MS. If you look at the “sticky” in this forum entitled “Comparing DMD’s”, you’ll find the drugs you’ve been on don’t have as high an efficacy as the infusions. Therefore, I would recommend the switch. Remember, at least 90% of the damage MS does is unseen, and you won’t realize it until it’s too late.

Comment

How many relapses did you have? do you have any symptoms now?

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
        Kudo’s for using the interferons for as long as you have. When i was diagnosed in 2010, i knew they were not an option for me. I chose Tysabri since my neurologist believed in swinging the sledgehammer to MS. If you look at the “sticky” in this forum entitled “Comparing DMD’s”, you’ll find the drugs you’ve been on don’t have as high an efficacy as the infusions. Therefore, I would recommend the switch. Remember, at least 90% of the damage MS does is unseen, and you won’t realize it until it’s too late.
        Thanks for pointing me to that sticky, I hadn’t scrolled down far enough to see it!

Comment

Medina89, I haven’t had further relapses after the onset of pins & needles in my feet (my initial symptoms).

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMan View Post
            Medina89, I haven’t had further relapses after the onset of pins & needles in my feet (my initial symptoms).
            Then you are very lucky,some would even call it CIS not MS,because as far as i know you need 2 relapses to get a diagnosis?

Comment

Originally posted by Medina89 View Post
              Then you are very lucky,some would even call it CIS not MS,because as far as i know you need 2 relapses to get a diagnosis?
              Not necessarily a known relapse, as some may be mild. The definition requires dissemination in both time and space.

If the MRI shows lesions that are inactive (don't light up when contrast dye injected), as well as active lesions (current inflammation with contrast dye injection that lights up the lesion), this would satisfy the dissemination in time criteria.

I was diagnosed that way. Of course after reviewing medical history, other potential relapses identified.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

MisterMan,

There are usually 2 schools of thought. Don't rock the boat if DMT working or hit it as hard as you can it's the highest efficacy drug you can.

I was on Avonex and Rebif before Tysabri. While I had relapses, we didn't switch to Ty until more of the safety profile known related to JCV virus/titer and PML risk. But I wonder if I switched before if residual symptoms would be less.

It really is a personal risk assessment. My advice is to hit it as hard as you can taking the risk you're comfortable with.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                  Not necessarily a known relapse, as some may be mild. The definition requires dissemination in both time and space.

If the MRI shows lesions that are inactive (don't light up when contrast dye injected), as well as active lesions (current inflammation with contrast dye injection that lights up the lesion), this would satisfy the dissemination in time criteria.

I was diagnosed that way. Of course after reviewing medical history, other potential relapses identified.
                  Good explanation. And some lesions that are visible on MRI are "clinically silent", which means even though there are signs of disease activity, there is no increase in symptoms.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                    MisterMan,

There are usually 2 schools of thought. Don't rock the boat if DMT working or hit it as hard as you can it's the highest efficacy drug you can.

I was on Avonex and Rebif before Tysabri. While I had relapses, we didn't switch to Ty until more of the safety profile known related to JCV virus/titer and PML risk. But I wonder if I switched before if residual symptoms would be less.

It really is a personal risk assessment. My advice is to hit it as hard as you can taking the risk you're comfortable with.
                    Thanks...I am leaning hard towards the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Medina89 View Post
                      Medina89, I do feel very lucky indeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X