• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 05/24/18

Six checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:
    Two made goals.

GOALS MISSED:
    Three made partial goals. We all did something.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Did not make goals

Thurs - 1179 steps;
    Fri - 1507 steps
    Sat - 1497 steps
    Sun - 1476 steps
    Mon - 2281 steps; Wellness Center
    Tues - 1377 steps; Youtube chair exercises
    Wed - 1127 steps

Total = 10,444 steps Average = 1492 steps

I only exercised twice, and I was really far from my steps goal. No real reasons. Just excuses. I slept in too late one day to go to Silver Sneakers class. I stuck around home a few other mornings because I had other possible things on my schedule, etc. And, when I don't exercise, it automatically creates a day with fewer steps.

But, I still gotta say -- this group helps me. If it hadn't been for this group, I likely would not have even exercised twice. Will try to do better next week.

Same goal next week.
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, Wellness Center, PT or something else.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Made Goals

Hi everyone

Mamabug keep trying - good luck on your goal for next week!

I made goals: up on feet 4X a day at 30 min each - doing light activities, standing, and walking (walked 5X during the week at 30 min each) and stretches.

I can now say that my legs seem to be stronger, and have more endurance. Being on them for 30 min is not the struggle it had been.

My consistent routine is proving beneficial, and I feel very fortunate at this point in time.

Will continue with the same goals for next week.

Wishing good energy and perseverance to everyone.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I made my goal this week, but paid a price by trying to do too much without pacing myself
        Tweaked my back while gardening, but I have a chiro appt today, which will help.

I finally got my mobility scooter a couple days ago and I'm so excited to be about to travel out to the garden, orchard and blueberry bushes with ease! I wondered if by not walking I'd miss out on the opportunity to use my legs more. But just walking out there used up most of my "spoons" for the day. So, this will enable me to get more work done once I'm there!

I'm so happy

Thank you, Mambug, for resurrecting this thread from a few years ago It really has helped me.

Hoping next week is better for you. Koko - nice work keeping a consistent workout routine!
        Have a great week everyone!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals!

Hello fellow teammates! I over did too. But you have to pay the price. Faith, I agree with Seasha this is my motivator whether I make my goals or not. And that's OK if you don't.

I have to go fast, someone is picking me up to go to Drs. appt. (What's new?).

Thurs-3562
          Fri-1286
          Sat-2974
          Sun-6545
          Mon-3018
          Tues-5020
          Weds-7435

Total=29,839

Average=4263

Good Luck to all and have a happy and safe Memorial Weekend!

Good job to all!

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS
          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Did not make my goal

I don't think I exercised at all. I'm really having a tough time.

Seasha, sorry about your back. Good luck with your scooter.

KoKo, good going. Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              I wondered if by not walking I'd miss out on the opportunity to use my legs more. But just walking out there used up most of my "spoons" for the day.
              Seasha

I would probably use all of my spoons too, walking down your driveway!

I do my walks inside my apartment, where I'm in climate controlled rooms, and on a totally flat surface - although sometimes when tired, stepping over where the carpet meets the linoleum floor can be tricky for lifting my feet.

Good for you that you have your scooter now - so you can enjoy your gardening a little more!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Susie good for you on making your goal!

ShrinkKaren I'm sorry that you are still having a rough time. Sometimes just doing our activities of daily living is enough to handle.

Don't give up hope yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ShrinkKaren View Post

So sorry about the tough time you're having, Karen. Did you mention before that you were thinking that PT might help? I hope you feell better soon!!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals

Goals are: 5000 steps on 4 or more days week or average 5000 steps/day.

Thu 6307 (yard work)
                    Fri 7143 (volunteer work)
                    Sat 8094 (volunteer work)
                    Sun 6481
                    Mon 4497
                    Tue 7976 (cleaning house)
                    Wed 6444 (Media room at church)

I took over 5K steps on 6 out of 7 days and averaged 6451 steps/day.
                    It was a good thing that I had duties at church on Wed or steps that day would have been much less.

ShrinkKaren - I am sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time . The effects of our long winter seem to be reluctant to leave you. I am sure that you are doing as much as you safely can, and that is cause to be proud of your efforts .

Susie - Great week ! Knowing our limits is an art that the is SO difficult to establish. I have always been the type to challenge myself to do more/better than the last time I did whatever, and that is one thing that I have had to back away from (no actually I had to lock it in a room and barricade the door so I won't be tempted to go back to that habit ).

Seasha - Great week ! Sorry to hear that you annoyed your back but I understand the motivation to do "just one more" thing before stopping when you are outside with plants. I am sure that having a scooter will help you to accomplish more without overdoing it ('wasting' spoons by walking).

KoKo - Great week ! It is good that you have noticed more strength and endurance than you had in the past. I am sure that is a reward for the work all by itself .

Mamabug - I am sorry to see that your motivation was a little down this week. I liken exercise to taking vitamins - the results are so gradual that we often do not see where it is doing any good and the effort of continuing with the regime sometimes seems as it it is just not worth it. Hope your motivation comes back this week .
                    It is difficult for me to stay motivated to exercise just for the sake of exercise, so I set my goals around things that I either 'have to do' or things that I have obligated myself to doing. Mon of this past week is a good example - I didn't have anything that I needed to do and simply couldn't motivate myself to get the remaining 503 steps needed to reach my goal that day.

Wishing everyone a safe and productive Memorial Day week!

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                      It is difficult for me to stay motivated to exercise just for the sake of exercise, so I set my goals around things that I either 'have to do' or things that I have obligated myself to doing.
                      msgijo you are so active, working around the house, and the yard, taking care of animals, helping your husband, volunteer work, etc that "exercise just for the sake of exercise" doesn't really seem necessary. You get a great workout by doing all of your activities.

That kind of exercise is for those of us who aren't able to do all that heavy work, like you do!

Comment

Karen ((hugs))

Karen, I'm so sorry that things are tough right now.

Perhaps you need to back wa-a-ay up and set a very small, simple goal for yourself. Then, perhaps you can build on that. I suspect that you won't be able to return to meeting your previous goal. MS is progressive, as we all know. And, unfortunately, yours seems to be progressing.

Perhaps your new goal could begin with something as simple as 5 minutes of stretching or chair yoga, twice a week. Or choose one small piece of your previous PT exercises, even if you need to modify it. Or whatever you think might be reasonable and realistic for you. That would be an increase over doing nothing and might not feel overwhelming or impossible.

In the past, you've been so dedicated to exercise and repeatedly successful at meeting your goals. Please don't give up exercising. Just find an exercise goal that can work for you.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Thank you so much

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                          Karen, I'm so sorry that things are tough right now.

Perhaps you need to back wa-a-ay up and set a very small, simple goal for yourself. Then, perhaps you can build on that. I suspect that you won't be able to return to meeting your previous goal. MS is progressive, as we all know. And, unfortunately, yours seems to be progressing.

Perhaps your new goal could begin with something as simple as 5 minutes of stretching or chair yoga, twice a week. Or choose one small piece of your previous PT exercises, even if you need to modify it. Or whatever you think might be reasonable and realistic for you. That would be an increase over doing nothing and might not feel overwhelming or impossible.

In the past, you've been so dedicated to exercise and repeatedly successful at meeting your goals. Please don't give up exercising. Just find an exercise goal that can work for you.
                          Mamabug, thank you so much for your suggestions. I am taking them seriously. All or nothing is not the way to go. I am thinking of different ways I can scale down. Thanks again.

Comment

Mamabug, thank you so much for your suggestions. I am taking them seriously. All or nothing is not the way to go. I am thinking of different ways I can scale down. Thanks again.
                            You're welcome, Karen. ((Hugs))
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                            X