Weight Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Loss

For those who have suddenly just lost weight, what happened? Did you continue to eat normally and it just fell off or did your appetite suddenly disappear, so you ate less?

All of my life I have had to watch what I ate or I piled on the weight easily but since February this year I've lost 15 pounds. Some of this would have to be the fact that I just don't get hungry anymore, so don't eat as much but I'm just a bit surprised at the weight loss as its never happened before.

I'm in my mid 40s so do wonder whether some of it could be due to change of life as I know some gain, some lose at this time. I still have the same amount of energy as usual but will get some bloods done just to make sure nothing sinister is going on too.

Overactive Thyroids?

I had been trying to lose weight for a couple of years with limited success (mostly lose a few pounds and then 'see-saw' before I stayed the same forever ...) until the summer of 2016. The weight just melted off but I was eating the same. At that time I still had plenty of energy.

From October 2016 until around July of 2017 I was really under a lot of stress, and so I just put that down as the reason for the continued weight loss. The stress level dropped in July but I started having NO energy but had trouble sleeping and was frequently nauseous. The weight was still melting away (I had went from 160 pounds down to 114 pounds without dieting ).

My PCP attributed it to stress (which I did not have anymore) but his PA tested for and discovered that I had overactive Thyroids. So off to an Endrocrolist I was sent. He ran many tests and still has me in a 'wait and monitor' mode, so it must not be TOO bad.
    Good that I gained a little weight back - am now holding steady at 120 - 125 pounds - but I do have to watch my diet.

Might be something to have added to your upcoming bloodwork.

Comment

During 2010-2011, I lost 60 lbs. I was in my late 40's. I went from a size 22 to a size 6. I wish that I could have lost weight without trying.
      • I documented every single calorie I ate for a year ( free on sparkpeople.com .
      • I used a calorie cycling strategy. You can Google it, But I sort of created my own personal method.
        I ate "enough" (according to my BMR) two days per week; I usually chose Sundays and Wednesdays. For me, 1200-1500 calories.
        I had "medium days" 3 days week ( ate a little less). 900 -1200 calories.
        And "hungry" days twice a week. 700-900 calories. I hated those. I got by by eating small meals/snacks 6 times a day and always including some protein ( ie: a small handful of nuts, or one cheesestick / string cheese) each time.

I lost 4-6 lbs a month for a year.

I gained about 15 of those pounds back 3 years later, due to steroids and have never been able to get them off again. Just not willing to be so regimented again. My weight fluctuates some and I'm not where I want to be (no longer a size 6), but I'm not obese or overweight again.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Lost 50 pounds

I also lost weight without trying. I lost my appetite and could only eat a little bit at a time. Over about 9 months I lost 50 pounds. I have leveled off now but I am very thin.

My doctor ran many tests and could find nothing that would cause the weight loss. I still don't know why it happened.

Comment

Working...
        X