No announcement yet.

Rage and agitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marti, I an glad to see a post from you -I have been concerned about you these last couple of days.

I have never taken the meds that you are talking about but my husband takes the generic for ZOLOFT 200 MG once a day. He is also on Lorazepam 0.5 mg as needed for anxiety and at last visit the doctor added Abilify 2mg once a day. I hate to see him having to take so many medicines, but they DO help with his depression/anxiety. A lot! I have ever seen improvement in the past week form the new med (Abilify).

I don't know about Xanax or Klonapin, but I do know that many of these types of drugs work best when they stay in your system (rather than trying to 'catch up' to what is going on whenever you take it). I dare say that is the purpose of them - to keep you from getting anxious instead of trying to stop it once you are already there. The only one of my husband's medicines that acts to diffuse the anxious situations is Lorazepam.

Hopefully somebody taking the same medicines as you will chime in and be able to give you better information on them.

I totally get the 'hate to take pills' thing, but is there any other reason that you are not wanting to take the medicines that have been prescribed for you - as prescribed? You mentioned addiction. Not saying that it could not happen, but take them as prescribed and the chances of addiction go WAY down. Besides that there are programs to stop addictions.

I am NOT a doctor or even a Pharmacist. But IMHO, if I am going to pay these people (who know what they are doing) to help me then I am going to trust that they are giving the best ways to help my situation and will do as they tell me.

Maybe things won't look so impossible after you get the anxiety levels down. At least it may calm you down enough to think thru some options for getting help with Sam.
    You are still in my prayers .

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
      Marti, I an glad to see a post from you -I have been concerned about you these last couple of days.

I have never taken the meds that you are talking about but my husband takes the generic for ZOLOFT 200 MG once a day. He is also on Lorazepam 0.5 mg as needed for anxiety and at last visit the doctor added Abilify 2mg once a day. I hate to see him having to take so many medicines, but they DO help with his depression/anxiety. A lot! I have ever seen improvement in the past week form the new med (Abilify).

I don't know about Xanax or Klonapin, but I do know that many of these types of drugs work best when they stay in your system (rather than trying to 'catch up' to what is going on whenever you take it). I dare say that is the purpose of them - to keep you from getting anxious instead of trying to stop it once you are already there. The only one of my husband's medicines that acts to diffuse the anxious situations is Lorazepam.

Hopefully somebody taking the same medicines as you will chime in and be able to give you better information on them.

I totally get the 'hate to take pills' thing, but is there any other reason that you are not wanting to take the medicines that have been prescribed for you - as prescribed? You mentioned addiction. Not saying that it could not happen, but take them as prescribed and the chances of addiction go WAY down. Besides that there are programs to stop addictions.

I am NOT a doctor or even a Pharmacist. But IMHO, if I am going to pay these people (who know what they are doing) to help me then I am going to trust that they are giving the best ways to help my situation and will do as they tell me.

Maybe things won't look so impossible after you get the anxiety levels down. At least it may calm you down enough to think thru some options for getting help with Sam.
      You are still in my prayers .

Thanks so much for the great explanation. This really helps me to understand. Now I have to beg my neuro to re order the meds. He hasn't been willing because I'm over 65. But if I tell him what all is going on maybe I can change his mind. I still have a bottle of Xanax and a few bottles of the Klonazepam. I refilled them until they ran out. Maybe that's why I have been taking them so sparingly... trying to keep some on hand. You always have good advice.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti - what msjigo said is spot on! And I totally agree with her. I don't know anything about Klonazepam, but I've been on Xanax before. My pcp prescribed them for me, and not my neuro. If yours won't refill, maybe your Dr will?

Have you given any more thought to contacting or taken any steps for getting outside help for Sam (and you)? The meds will help ease your mind, but you still have some huge responsibilities ahead for you. You will not be able to help Sam as you do, if you wear yourself out!

Warm thoughts to you
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Marti - what msjigo said is spot on! And I totally agree with her. I don't know anything about Klonazepam, but I've been on Xanax before. My pcp prescribed them for me, and not my neuro. If yours won't refill, maybe your Dr will?

Have you given any more thought to contacting or taken any steps for getting outside help for Sam (and you)? The meds will help ease your mind, but you still have some huge responsibilities ahead for you. You will not be able to help Sam as you do, if you wear yourself out!

Warm thoughts to you

Thanks again. I think I am going to have the social worker come out to talk it over. She's from Oxford Healthcare. Guess I have to find out if our AARP supplement will cover any of it or if the VA will kick in. She seems to think the VA has more services than we know about.
          Marti

Comment

Medicare, social security, insurance, VA, and everything else we try to deal with are so convoluted and complicated that only someone who works with these programs for a living can navigate them.

I encourage you to talk to the social worker that you have access to. She may be able to find help you’d never find on your own.

Good luck. I’m hoping things get better for you.

Comment

I just realized that a lot of you don't seem to recognize "Klonapin". It's real name is Clonazepam. Maybe that helps. Sorry.
              Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                I just realized that a lot of you don't seem to recognize "Klonapin". It's real name is Clonazepam. Maybe that helps. Sorry.
                Marti, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this and if I lived closer I would come by and give you a hand. You are a very strong and devoted woman and I admire your personal strength!

I take 1/2 Klonopin at bedtime every night now too and Xanax as needed. My doc (psychiatrist) is okay with that however, during this recent flare she suggest a full Klonopin (.50) at bedtime and Xanax twice a day (.25), morning and late afternoon. Like you, I too am afraid of addiction and haven’t really done that either. I haven’t been able to go lower on the Klonopin (like I was a couple years ago). I am not a fan of drugs but I think my CNS just needs these to manage the Ms damage.

The only antidepressant that I used to take that helped my MS (before I knew it was MS) was Imipramine. In fact, when I went off it due to rapid heart rate (was on it over a decade) I went into a flare and finally got diagnosed with MS. Go figure!

I like that you will be visiting with a social worker to get some help....you definitely need some and should take advantage of those programs set up for you and your husband. It may take a few changes to find the right fit, but please do at least try some additional services to support your well being. Lots of hugs, love and prayers to you Marti! And Sam too! 💕💕

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
                  Marti, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this and if I lived closer I would come by and give you a hand. You are a very strong and devoted woman and I admire your personal strength!

I take 1/2 Klonopin at bedtime every night now too and Xanax as needed. My doc (psychiatrist) is okay with that however, during this recent flare she suggest a full Klonopin (.50) at bedtime and Xanax twice a day (.25), morning and late afternoon. Like you, I too am afraid of addiction and haven’t really done that either. I haven’t been able to go lower on the Klonopin (like I was a couple years ago). I am not a fan of drugs but I think my CNS just needs these to manage the Ms damage.

The only antidepressant that I used to take that helped my MS (before I knew it was MS) was Imipramine. In fact, when I went off it due to rapid heart rate (was on it over a decade) I went into a flare and finally got diagnosed with MS. Go figure!

I like that you will be visiting with a social worker to get some help....you definitely need some and should take advantage of those programs set up for you and your husband. It may take a few changes to find the right fit, but please do at least try some additional services to support your well being. Lots of hugs, love and prayers to you Marti! And Sam too! 💕💕

So nice to hear from you. I agree about the antidepressants. They cause my palpitations to increase and I sure don't need that! Thank you for the sweet offer of helping. We all love each other on this forum. Right now my biggest worry is taking Sam back and forth to the doctor and trying to make and keep any appointments for myself. My driving is dicey and our doctors are 30 minutes away. A lot of the time I get a driver. On my dizzy days I cannot drive that far so I end up cancelling a lot of visits. I had another one of those rages today. I am not strong enough to connect or disconnect the tubes from the oxygen concentrator so I get crazy when something goes wrong and I have to call a neighbor to help. I get so mad I make my head hurt and then everything hurts. I have to handle everything and I feel like I should be able to do these simple things myself. Just before this happened his portable oxygen thing quit charging the battery. So I had the company on the phone and a few minutes later the main concentrator started squealing because the rubber thing got pulled loose. That's what set me off. Poor Sam thinks he is causing me all this trouble, but it's me. I am just too anxious and frustrated. Anyway... thank you.
                  Marti

Comment

Working...
                  X