Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Copaxone

Hi,
    After seeing my neurologist, we decided that it would be best to start treatment. I’m going to be starting copaxone 40mg 3x a week, in the next week or two. Just wondering what to expect, with side effects etc. I’m a bit nervous....

Hi, I was on copaxone about 7 years ago and I don’t remember any side effects other than a sore injection site. I was given a small book so I could map out my sites.they would rotate the sites.As a bonus they gave me a 2x3 ice pack to place on ejection site to help any swelling.Good luck

Comment

I switched, about 3 years ago, from Copaxone 20 to Copaxone 40. I like Copaxone 40 better, because of the 3 days per week. Some people have trouble with the higher dose.

For me, the only Copaxone side effect is site reactions. I don't do anything for them, usually. Some people try ice (like Carlyle suggested) or heat on the site. Occasionally, if it's been bad, I've used Arnica Gel. It helps with pain at the injection site. I've also read that Arnica can help with pain and swelling associated with bruises, aches, and sprains, insect bites, arthritis, muscle and cartilage pain, chapped lips, and acne and more.

You can buy it at your health food store or online at amazon.com .

Jaynus -- Will you be using an auto-injector or injecting manually?
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Mamabug, I believe the injections I have are manual injections. Does this make much of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaynus View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

Mamabug, I believe the injections I have are manual injections. Does this make much of a difference?
          Not really. It's just a preference thing. You decide whether you want to hold the syringe and poke yourself. Or whether you want to place the syringe in the auto-injector and place the device against your skin and push a button instead.

Some people prefer manual injections so they can be in control of how fast or slow the needle goes in.

I prefer the auto-injector so that I can set the depth and it's always consistent. Also, I'm a bit of a needle-weenie and I'm sort of afraid to manually inject.

And, different people experience differences in site reaction side effects, depending on which injection method they choose. We're all different.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Definitely some things to think about. I guess once I see how I react I can make decisions then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaynus View Post
              Definitely some things to think about. I guess once I see how I react I can make decisions then.
              Yes. Shared Solutions (Copaxone's patient assistance) usually sends out a nurse to train you. You can ask her about both of those options. Perhaps you could do a manual injection when the nurse is there, and the nurse could also show you how to use the injector, so that you will know how to try that out for the next time.

Their nurses are very helpful. When I had trouble, in 2008, with site injections from Copaxone 20, they were more than willing to send out a nurse an extra time to re-train me to make sure that my injection techniques were not what was causing the problem.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
              X