Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 5/17/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 5/17/18

Hi Everyone. Today is sunny and beautiful. It is one of those days when it can be said it is great to be alive. I hope you are all well and have shaken any possible winter doldrums. It is time to reassess weight losing goals and to recommit. Think of reasons you started on your weight loss journey to begin with such as health and appearance. My reasons were both of those and continue to be so. One other important reason comes to mind for me, it is one health factor I can control unlike MS for which I feel totally out of control regarding symptoms. I wish best health possible to all of you.

I lost three pounds this week so weigh 117.5. I am sure most of it was loss of fluid after eating all of the sodium rich food with my son’s visit. Oh well, I did enjoy my transgressions. I hope all of you out there had a wonderful Mother’s Day even if you did overindulge as did I the week before.

Agate, sorry to miss you this week, I hope all is well.

Mamabug, good for you for your loss. I hope you can lose more before your next vacation in June. That will be here before you know it.

Hsmaldo, excellent! You should be very proud of yourself. I am proud for you. You remain the busiest lady I know. I do not know how you do it. Best of luck with all your endeavors.

Msgijo, what a nice loss! Great going. I’m so sorry to hear of your husband’s challenges. I do hope he is doing better. Thank you for your encouragement last week. Keep up the good work.

Poohb3ar, sorry to miss you and hope all is well. I hope the season is treating you well.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 15 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

While the commonly accepted recommendation to drink eight glasses of water a day has been challenged by some experts in recent years, it’s no surprise that water continues to be the top consumed beverage in the U.S.

And for people trying to control their weight, it may be the key to meeting weight loss goals.

According to a study published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, participants who increased their plain water consumption by one to three cups daily also decreased their total caloric intake by between 68 and 205 calories each day. In addition, the 18,300 U.S. adults included in the study decreased their sodium intake between 78 and 235 grams, sugar intake between five grams and nearly 18 grams and cholesterol intake by seven to 21 grams daily.

Plain water is considered tap water or water from a cooler, drinking fountain or bottle.

The study’s author, Ruopeng An, an assistant professor in the Department of Kinesiology and Community Health at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, examined multiple years of data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Participants were asked to recall everything they ate or drank over the course of two days. On average, participants consumed about 4.2 cups of plain water daily, accounting for slightly more than 30 percent of their total dietary water intake.

Given the human body is comprised of about 60 percent water, it is important to stay hydrated for more reasons than just weight loss. Maintaining energy levels, brain function, proper digestion and healthy skin are just a few additional health benefits of adequate water consumption.

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

3.8 pounds by three members. What a good week. Congratulations to all of you losers. May we all do so well next week.

Total Gain:

5 pounds by one member. Well someone has to show us what not to do. May you all not fallow after me!

Stayed The Same:

0 members. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

4093.8 is the total weight loss for the past 15+ years. We hit a new milestone. We now have lost over two tons for which we should be proud. That truly is phenomenal.

Gained

See below.
    ((Recent weights:
    05/17/18: 138.4 lbs
    5/10/18: 136.6 lbs
    Gained 1.8 lbs.))

Often, I just don't understand the scale. The previous week, I lost weight, even though there were lots of birthday festivities. This past week, I gained, even though I made appropriate food choices. ((Sigh))
    ----------------------
    I'm editing this. As of this morning, I weigh 137.2. I'm not sure why the scale showed so high yesterday, and was so much different today. I'm accustomed to regular minor fluctuations, but this was unusual. So, I'm changing this weeks's weight gain to 0.6 lbs. (I'd originally posted 1.8 lbs.)

Recent weights:
    05/18/18: 137.2 lbs
    05/17/18: 138.4 lbs
    5/10/18: 136.6 lbs
    Gained 0.6 lbs.
    Last edited by Mamabug; 05-18-2018, 11:20 AM. Reason: Because i have a weird scale this week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Gained

Sorry for the late check in - Yesterday we hit the ground running and as such I didn't weigh until this morning. I still had a busy morning, but at least I had my weight .

5/10 123.2
      5/18 123.8

In spite of eating mostly good choices I still gained 0.6 pounds . I think it was likely due to the fact that this past week has been rainy and just dreary and since I was bored I ate (even too many 'good' foods aren't good for the waistline).

I will try to lose half a pound this week.

Mamabug - Sorry that you have a gain but congratulations on losing half of your gain . I have to agree with you - this weight loss thing is NOT as simple as watching your choices. Same amount of the same food choices with the same amount of activity NEVER seems to equal the same results on the scales . Good luck to both of us this week.

Karen - Great loss ! Thank you for owning the reason for the gain that you had. And yes, sometimes it is just worth the gain .

Hsmaldo - My husband agreed to try the salad routine. We have had salads with 2 meals and 1 meal that was a salad since last week. As long as I can keep changing it up this may just work (at least thru the summer). I am thinking that if I fix him a "real meal" every other day that will help his transition .

Tip For The Week - AGREE! I am finicky about my water. There are some bottled waters I will not drink (they have sodium in them) and I refuse to even think about moving close to my mother (she is on 'city water' and it is just nasty tasting). When I first met my husband I drank a lot of iced tea, but the caffeine was not agreeing with me. I started drinking just plain well water about the time he switched from soda to tea and while it is better for him it isn't the best. He is drinking both now (tea and plain water). When we eat out I order tea because I don't know what their water may taste like (as in Karren's sometimes it is just worth the gain ).

I hope that everyone has a great week .

Comment

I don't know how I manage not to realize that a week has passed and I haven't checked in here but time just races by. I apologize for my nonappearances!

I weighed 120 today and was 121 on May 4.

Having this new scale and being required to step on it daily as part of the study I'm in is having an effect. Just having to do this has made it easier to do better on the food intake.
        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Working...
        X