Cost of MS drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of MS drugs

Has anyone noticed the exorbitant increase in the cost of MS drugs? I started with in, 1996, Betaseron at $1000/mth. When quit using in 2014 over $5500/mth. Now on Techfidera, $8000/mth.

Yes. I started on Betaseron in 2003 at about $2000 / month. On Copaxone now for almost $7000 / month. Price increases are exorbitant.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

In spring 2008 "C" was !.9k @ mo. When I dropped it in 2016, just shy of 6k.

I remember thinking;

"Well it's the newest at the time (relatively new) and therefore, over time the cost will drop"

Yeah.

I could go OFF on this topic... but others will surely like a quick vent at the state of pharmacology in 2018.

Comment

Treatment Costs

This is a fun study about drug costs in the USA.
        https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911108

CONCLUSIONS:
MS DMT costs have accelerated at rates well beyond inflation and substantially above rates observed for drugs in a similar biologic class. There is an urgent need for clinicians, payers, and manufacturers in the United States to confront the soaring costs of DMTs.

"Clinicians, payers, and manufacturers"... and maybe some mojo from the government would help. For a very sick person, coordinating available healthcare, insurance premiums, and even just other copays beyond the cost of drugs is intimidating.

Anyway, most have probably seen this but for US folks with individual plans through an employer or a plan not otherwise subsidized by the government (ACA, medicaid), Drug companies will cover up to $12,000 toward your copay - call the individual company to get more details. They really do want you to call.

I wish all the best.
        All the best, ~G

Comment

What confuses me the most is how the same med costs a different amount in different places. When I took Tecfidera my insurance company way billed just under 50,000 a year and now my Tysabri costs just about 50,000 a year (Canadian).

Comment

MS drugs

Thanks for the responses.
            I remember what my husband said, "How do you know you need this? You were put on a medication, right away and had no other options but a wheelchair". Which at that time there was a lottery deal, we felt lucky to get a spot. I have taken all this MS stuff since 1996. I have battled wounds of 19 1/2 years of shots.
            Has anyone stopped their meds to see if, perhaps, lifestyle, food choices, exercise could make a difference?
            I had an MRI done a couple of months ago, I'm stable, whatever that means.
            I want know if worrying about paying the cost of MS meds is worth it or are we being scammed like cancer patients? MS people should avoid STRESS!
            I know about this also, my husband had stage 4 Nasopharyngeal cancer. Cost through the roof!
            My point is, why am I having to worry where I can find the money to pay for my next refill? Does this stuff really work?
            Loralyn

Comment

Working...
            X