Life changing 8 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life changing 8 months

As most of you know I was dx in 2017 sept. Recovered to almost back to normal.

it was a terrifying experience but I made it through. I ended a 6 year relationship and feeling down a bit and want to enter the dating scene again soon, don't know how that's gonna go but at some point I will have to be honest. I miss my ex dearly but we're not right for eachother. Better off apart I think. We had so many memories good and very bad.

I recovered very well after dx flare and my MS is quiet since November 2017 (the month I started tecfidera) So six months into tec and 8 months since dx I'm feeling great physically but not good emotionally right now, I'm entering into a grieving process again with the loss of my girlfriend.

we settled on the house and I will recieve a good amount of money, also I found a nice apartment downtown I always wanted one. But will need to sign a 18 month lease on June 1. My neuro appt. is on June 12 and MRI is aug 02. I'm torn between taking the apartment or still stay at my parents and settle things down inside me before I jump into something else. I can save even more if I stay put camped out at folks place and relax, do my school and keep working.

i think the cautious option is wait till sept 1 wen school full time starts up again and 1 year has elapsed with my MS and I will be in a strong financial position and can make a move on apartments (there is always more).

i asked in chat about advice on this as I don't wanna push my luck and being newly dx I have lots to learn so I should put the brakes on and let my brain and emotions catch up. And see how my MS reacts as I'm doing a lot already with a very active life.

wat do you guys think? I don't wanna live in fear.

Sorry about the loss of the relationship.

As for moving into the apt. in June, I would wait- not out of fear but rather out of practicality of saving funds and therefore having a wider palette of choices in September. I do not see waiting as caving into fear.

Emotionally you will encounter folks who cannot handle your dx and those who can. If you do start dating someone seriously, I would advise that the person show curiosity about the dx so that she knows what she´s dealing with and thus will know how to fully support you. On your end, being open to questions about the dx will help put her at ease and set a foundation of honesty. There are people who can handle this. Just as your dx is not you, you are not your dx. Support from fellow MSers helps because unless you have this dx, it is just very hard to "get it" as in understand it fully.

I think you are wise to pursue non-scaffolding pursuits.

Comment

Rationale choice

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
      Sorry about the loss of the relationship.

As for moving into the apt. in June, I would wait- not out of fear but rather out of practicality of saving funds and therefore having a wider palette of choices in September. I do not see waiting as caving into fear.

Emotionally you will encounter folks who cannot handle your dx and those who can. If you do start dating someone seriously, I would advise that the person show curiosity about the dx so that she knows what she´s dealing with and thus will know how to fully support you. On your end, being open to questions about the dx will help put her at ease and set a foundation of honesty. There are people who can handle this. Just as your dx is not you, you are not your dx. Support from fellow MSers helps because unless you have this dx, it is just very hard to "get it" as in understand it fully.

I think you are wise to pursue non-scaffolding pursuits.
      thx for the reply, I made my decision to just stay at parents and save my pay until sept. 1, on top of my settlement I should get to $30,000-$35,000 and will be financially stronger. I really want to talk to my neuro and get my MRI done and see where my condition is. Then I have a better decision making abilities with my finances in order and hopefully a stabilized MRI. School starts on sept. 1 so there's no rush to get into another event like living independently just because I'm doing good right now.

ill feel better if I know tecfidera is working for me and I got a large safety net financially. Hope everything goes good this summer.

Comment

Waiting is hard, but your neuro will probably want to have you on Tecfidera for a year before attempting to make any judgments about if the meds are working or not. In general, you first need a "baseline" MRI - so one that you get after starting the med and then another one a year after that. This was my experience anyway.

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
        thx for the reply, I made my decision to just stay at parents and save my pay until sept. 1, on top of my settlement I should get to $30,000-$35,000 and will be financially stronger. I really want to talk to my neuro and get my MRI done and see where my condition is. Then I have a better decision making abilities with my finances in order and hopefully a stabilized MRI. School starts on sept. 1 so there's no rush to get into another event like living independently just because I'm doing good right now.

ill feel better if I know tecfidera is working for me and I got a large safety net financially. Hope everything goes good this summer.

Comment

Working...
        X