Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Search for knowledge...sorry if this is posted somewhere else...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search for knowledge...sorry if this is posted somewhere else...

Salutations
    I was diagnosed at the beginning of this year and I've been coming to realizations with what I can and can't do. Working for almost thirty years, I still want to work but I feel I can better my situation if I were to return to college (I have a good number of transferable credits and a few more will get me an associates) but funding is an issue.
    I'm not looking for a handout.
    Just searching for a way to earn a living with the outlook of a profession. I know financial aid exists but I was just inquiring if anyone knows of any grants, scholarships that might exist to help. It's getting harder to do my job on the physical side but my mental is still sharp and I'd like to utilize it.

Thank you to any and all that can assist

R.F....>Zoom?

Originally posted by ReverseFlash View Post
    Salutations
    I was diagnosed at the beginning of this year and I've been coming to realizations with what I can and can't do. Working for almost thirty years, I still want to work but I feel I can better my situation if I were to return to college (I have a good number of transferable credits and a few more will get me an associates) but funding is an issue.
    I'm not looking for a handout.
    Just searching for a way to earn a living with the outlook of a profession. I know financial aid exists but I was just inquiring if anyone knows of any grants, scholarships that might exist to help. It's getting harder to do my job on the physical side but my mental is still sharp and I'd like to utilize it.

Thank you to any and all that can assist

R.F....>Zoom?
    First of all, welcome! I'm glad you feel well enough to continue to work and motivated enough to consider continuing your education.

The only helpful suggestion that I have is to apply for a Pell Grant. Here's a link for the FAFSA form to apply for it. For more information, contact your local junior college, other college or university. You can get significant help with tuition and help for living expenses, especially if you are planning on a public junior college, which are fairly affordable.
    https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa

I know there are lots of grants and scholarships out there. At this point, I'm far enough removed from needing to look for them (my adult children are in their late twenties), that I don't remember where the best websites are. Again, a local college might be able to give you some helpful suggestions. I remember my childrens' high school had a website they recommended to us years ago.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi ReverseFlash! Here is a list of college grants available for those living with MS:
      http://www.msbucket.com/scholarships-and-awards

I didn't read them through and I know that many are only available to high school seniors wanting to attend college, but maybe you can find what you're looking for here?

Good luck on your pursuit!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Also although it is rough I worked the entire time so I could pay out of pocket. Like you I started at a community college where tuition isn't very expensive. Good luck!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Thank youallvery much for your help, many many thanks!

R.F....>Zoom?

Comment

Working...
          X