Greetings, New to the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings, New to the site

Greetings. New to the site, wanted to speak to others who have been dealing with this or have just started. I was diagnosed back in January 2018 but have been experiencing symptoms MUCH longer than my diagnosis. (Wasn't ignoring it, just figured I was getting older, breaking down physically) but was feeling physical issues that were slowing me down so I went and got examined.
    I am faced with a realization: the "kid" can't do what he used to do but he needs to find a way to do so to survive.
    It worries me.

I keep pushing forward, that's my credo but I am concerned.
    My current job has that emoji on my "slow down" due to my condition and they're asking for written information from my doctors but despite all of the laws set to protect in situations like this, I still feel that they're going to make a way to send me on my way and that scares the crap out of me. I don't know what I can do in the wake of a release (I know, I can sue but I'm looking for a different option, some place else to work)
    I just don't know.
    But I won't give up.
    Hoping to hear from others who might be in the same situation, how they dealt with it.
    Thank you all.

Hello ReverseFlash and welcome!

(Your post has been moved so that it is under your very own thread.)

Are you able to perform your job duties? Would some form of job accommodation help your situation?

I was diagnosed with MS while employed by the US Postal Service at a processing and distribution center.

At the time of the diagnosis, I had already begun having visible physical deficits such as gait disturbances which caused tripping and falling, right arm weakness which caused poor grasping, difficulty lifting items, dropping things, difficulty keying on machines, etc. and bladder issues which took me away from my work at inopportune times.

I also had extreme fatigue which caused me to have to call off sick periodically.

I could no longer perform the job duties for which I was hired several years prior.

It was obvious to my employer and coworkers that I had problems performing my duties, so I couldn't hide my disability.

Fortunately, my place of employment had light duty positions available that they moved me into, which accommodated my physical issues.

Also, I filled out the necessary paperwork so that I could be covered under FMLA for intermittent time off for extreme fatigue.

When I could no longer perform at the light duty positions, I then retired on disability.

Hopefully you will have options that will enable you to keep your job also, such as accommodations or light duty positions.

Regarding your employer request for doctor documentation, this info from the ADA may be helpful:

JOB-RELATED AND CONSISTENT WITH BUSINESS NECESSITY

Once an employee is on the job, his/her actual performance is the best measure of ability to do the job. When a need arises to question the ability of an employee to do the essential functions of his/her job or to question whether the employee can do the job without posing a direct threat due to a medical condition, it may be job-related and consistent with business necessity for an employer to make disability-related inquiries or require a medical examination.

https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/gui...inquiries.html
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome ReverseFlash!

KoKo gave some great info. There is a sub forum for employment that may help you out with some experiences.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Sorry for your diagnosis, your health challenges and your fear about a possible job loss in the future.

Please look into FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) if you could benefit from taking up to 12 weeks off of work without losing your job.

Also look into benefits your employer might offer, such as STD (Short Term Disability) and LTD (Long Term Disability) to determine if you might be eligible now or in the future.

Here is a link to the sub-forum that Kathy referred to:
        https://www.msworld.org/forum/forumd...loyment-and-MS
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hello ReverseFlash and welcome!

(Your post has been moved so that it is under your very own thread.)

Are you able to perform your job duties? Would some form of job accommodation help your situation?

I was diagnosed with MS while employed by the US Postal Service at a processing and distribution center.

At the time of the diagnosis, I had already begun having visible physical deficits such as gait disturbances which caused tripping and falling, right arm weakness which caused poor grasping, difficulty lifting items, dropping things, difficulty keying on machines, etc. and bladder issues which took me away from my work at inopportune times.

I also had extreme fatigue which caused me to have to call off sick periodically.

I could no longer perform the job duties for which I was hired several years prior.

It was obvious to my employer and coworkers that I had problems performing my duties, so I couldn't hide my disability.

Fortunately, my place of employment had light duty positions available that they moved me into, which accommodated my physical issues.

Also, I filled out the necessary paperwork so that I could be covered under FMLA for intermittent time off for extreme fatigue.

When I could no longer perform at the light duty positions, I then retired on disability.

Hopefully you will have options that will enable you to keep your job also, such as accommodations or light duty positions.

Regarding your employer request for doctor documentation, this info from the ADA may be helpful:

JOB-RELATED AND CONSISTENT WITH BUSINESS NECESSITY

Once an employee is on the job, his/her actual performance is the best measure of ability to do the job. When a need arises to question the ability of an employee to do the essential functions of his/her job or to question whether the employee can do the job without posing a direct threat due to a medical condition, it may be job-related and consistent with business necessity for an employer to make disability-related inquiries or require a medical examination.

https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/gui...inquiries.html

Thank you very much for the information (and moving my post - my faux pas or faux post as the case may be) I've been looking for a site like this since my diagnosis and I appreciate what this city has to offer and what you all provide. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ReverseFlash View Post
            Greetings. New to the site, wanted to speak to others who have been dealing with this or have just started. I was diagnosed back in January 2018 but have been experiencing symptoms MUCH longer than my diagnosis. (Wasn't ignoring it, just figured I was getting older, breaking down physically) but was feeling physical issues that were slowing me down so I went and got examined.
            I am faced with a realization: the "kid" can't do what he used to do but he needs to find a way to do so to survive.
            It worries me.

I keep pushing forward, that's my credo but I am concerned.
            My current job has that emoji on my "slow down" due to my condition and they're asking for written information from my doctors but despite all of the laws set to protect in situations like this, I still feel that they're going to make a way to send me on my way and that scares the crap out of me. I don't know what I can do in the wake of a release (I know, I can sue but I'm looking for a different option, some place else to work)
            I just don't know.
            But I won't give up.
            Hoping to hear from others who might be in the same situation, how they dealt with it.
            Thank you all.

I just wanted to say welcome to the furom and I'm sorry for your DX I know it's not easy just don't let it get you down is the main thing. I know trying to work while disabled isn't easy I've tried doing volunteering throughout the years and I had to stop that even due to health issues but I wish I had found a way around them. I hope that you are able to. What kind of work do you do if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

Working...
            X