Prednisone Taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prednisone Taper

Hi! It is me again! A week ago after 4 days of IVSM my neuro started me on 10 mg of Prednisone daily. I was supposed to talk to him on Friday about tapering but I didn’t hear back. I would like to start tapering as soon as possible.

Question: He mentioned taking the 10 mg every other day. Is that too aggressive? I started a week ago Friday and I am thinking of skipping a dose tomorrow (Sunday) and taking 10 mg on Monday and calling him.

Any experience with this or insight. I feel quite afraid for this next step and don’t like being on the drug for any longer than needed.

Any comments are welcome!!

I only tapered once, as I didn't tolerate Prednisone too well. I tolerated the IVSM better.

I thought my taper was a a 10mg for so many days, then 5mgs (think I used a pill splitter) for a few days, then stopped. I do believe the total was 10 day taper.

Did you skip today? I don't think it would have hurt anything if you did.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Pennstater,

Yes I skipped today and it has been a really hard day. I feel awful and didn’t sleep the entire night. I am so glad you shared how you weaned off as reading stories online scared me to death. It has made it a very long weekend until I talk my neuro tomorrow (hopefully!).

It is amazing how easy it is to forget how hard flares are to manage. I have been fortunate to not have been this bad since 2009.

Did you go to Penn State and/or live in the state? My friends kids have all gone to Penn State and her kiddos last starts this summer. They love the school and the state!

I will share an update tomorrow. Thanks for responding as I have been feeling very lonely and depressed....thank you for taking the time! 💕

Comment

Yes, I went to PSU. Also a Penn State family with 2 siblings, three nieces and nephews, and two more who want to attend. We get up there a few times a year still.

As for your feelings of depression, steroids can contribute to that. It can be an incredibly emotional time for weeks to come. Plus, interference with sleep doesn't help.

I hope you are able get in touch with your doctor today.
        Kathy

Comment

Pennstater, my dear friend would love you...she and her husband went and their 4 kiddos too!

Good news! I talked to my neuro and I am alternating days of 10 mg of prednisone with a day off for the next week. Then I stop.

I am feeling better these past two days and working from home has helped. That said, I am out the door tomorrow for a full day.

Having a plan to get off the steroids is very positive for me mentally. I am doing light stretching prescribed by a PT as I have lost a lot of strength in my legs.

I appreciate having this board and the chat room and people like Pennstater and others to bounce off this flare with...it can be a hard and lonely disease and those that don’t have MS struggle to understand the crazy ride we are on.

Thank you all from my heart!! 💕💕. I am feeling so much more positive today!!

Comment

Hello again!

Brief update: I am about 7 or so weeks into my flare and finally got an MRI last week. Interested to see results.

The IVSM and prednisone taper was well worth it as it really help calm down the flare and improved mobility in my leg. I am seeing a neuro PT and doing daily exercises to slowly bring back strength. I lost some “length” in my leg...I hope it returns but my flexibility is still good. Fatigue is a challenge and walking long distances (up to about a mile) is tough, but getting better.

I am finally feeling more positive about the outcome of this flare. Life has been busy with a daughter graduating and a teen still at home...but many blessings in my family and I am grateful. Thank you all for being there during the dark days of the flare...it is so nice to be able to come here as most friends just don’t understand. Thank you all!!

Comment

Thanks for the update! So glad to hear you are feeling better and seeing some recovery. I am a big believer in PT - glad you are seeing the benefits. Wish you continued success.

Congrats on the graduation and happy you are able to participate in your child's big day.
              Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
                Hello again!

Brief update: I am about 7 or so weeks into my flare and finally got an MRI last week. Interested to see results.

The IVSM and prednisone taper was well worth it as it really help calm down the flare and improved mobility in my leg. I am seeing a neuro PT and doing daily exercises to slowly bring back strength. I lost some “length” in my leg...I hope it returns but my flexibility is still good. Fatigue is a challenge and walking long distances (up to about a mile) is tough, but getting better.

I am finally feeling more positive about the outcome of this flare. Life has been busy with a daughter graduating and a teen still at home...but many blessings in my family and I am grateful. Thank you all for being there during the dark days of the flare...it is so nice to be able to come here as most friends just don’t understand. Thank you all!!
                I'm glad you're doing better. Regarding the prednisone taper -- I've never skipped a day and done an every other day thing. When I've been at 10 mg, I've just gone done to 5 the next day. Perhaps skipping a day after you're already on 5mg would be easier.

I'm also a big believer in PT to recover from a flare.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Recovery

Recovery takes a while, as you already may have guessed, it's been 7-8 months since my dx and I'm around %96 recovered, give a year and i might get to %98. Though the back acne is still with me from prednisone and solumedrol, but it's fading. What roller coaster of emotions this winter. Hope that never happens again to me or you.

Comment

Working...
                  X