About Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Me

My name is Cindy and I was dx'd with PPMS in 2005. I haven't been here in a while because I had breast cancer and chemo as bad as is it, puts MS away while during and for about a year after. I was so hoping it wouldn't come back but here I am again. It's fine, it's not like it's something new.
    Anyway. Hi all

Originally posted by Animaluver View Post
    My name is Cindy and I was dx'd with PPMS in 2005. I haven't been here in a while because I had breast cancer and chemo as bad as is it, puts MS away while during and for about a year after. I was so hoping it wouldn't come back but here I am again. It's fine, it's not like it's something new.
    Anyway. Hi all
    Hi Cindy and welcome

Thank you for sharing your story.

If I understand you correctly, when you had chemo for breast cancer, the MS progression stopped during the treatments and then also for a year after that?

And now the MS progression has resumed, is that right?

I don't recall ever hearing something like that before, and I find it very interesting.

I wonder if your neuro has taken note of it. Who knows, maybe we'll hear about that particular chemo treatment being used in clinical trials for PPMS someday.

In any case, wishing you complete recovery from the breast cancer, and more stable PPMS plateaus too.

Wishing you the best.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome Cindy,

I have heard of chemo sometimes resetting someone's immune system and relapses stop. But nothing related to progression.

I am sorry you had to experience chemo and MS both. I hope your treatments were successful and you remain cancer free.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

to koko- Yes my ms progression has returned. A mild form of chemo has been used for some time for people with RRMS. However, I had the the negative, aggressive form so I had the very harsh adriamycin with cytoxin for 12 weeks then taxol for another 12. These are far too strong for use with ms or other auto immune illnesses. I will tell you this, I will NEVER do it again. They take you right to the edge. I did not see my neuro during this time. It took all I had to get thru the treatments then to radiation daily for 8 weeks w/o a break. They also don't tell you the other things it does to your body and yes it stays in the system for a year. We must however note that there are 15 different types of breast cancer, some (like mine) are more aggressive than others. My mom's breast cancer was estrogen positive so she just had to take novaldex pills for 8 months. I just praise God that I'm a survivor in year three. I've has ms for so long, it isn't anything new. I also thank the Lord that I didn't have to suffer both at once. Now I'm doing pretty good..life is good: )

Comment

If the truth must be told, I know I can admit it in here. I was in denial about the ms returning after cancer tx. It took quite a few humiliating falls and things for me to admit it to myself. Plus my reg docs knew it too. I am stubborn and just didn't want to do what I see as giving in. I was in the hospital twice in the past year which popped my balloon so to speak so yes I had to admit it. Back to no one gets it except others with it like you guys! I get so sick of "But you look so good" I'm trying to get back where I was with the acceptance of others ignorance but as of yet it is still annoying me. This too shall pass. I might buy a t shirt from cafe press that says this is what ms looks like. Prob not tho as I know it would bring on the previously mentioned comment lol I just do my best every day inbetween naps that is Thanks for being there and have a great day!
          Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by Animaluver View Post
            to koko- Yes my ms progression has returned. A mild form of chemo has been used for some time for people with RRMS. However, I had the the negative, aggressive form so I had the very harsh adriamycin with cytoxin for 12 weeks then taxol for another 12. These are far too strong for use with ms or other auto immune illnesses. I will tell you this, I will NEVER do it again. They take you right to the edge. I did not see my neuro during this time. It took all I had to get thru the treatments then to radiation daily for 8 weeks w/o a break. They also don't tell you the other things it does to your body and yes it stays in the system for a year. We must however note that there are 15 different types of breast cancer, some (like mine) are more aggressive than others. My mom's breast cancer was estrogen positive so she just had to take novaldex pills for 8 months. I just praise God that I'm a survivor in year three. I've has ms for so long, it isn't anything new. I also thank the Lord that I didn't have to suffer both at once. Now I'm doing pretty good..life is good: )
            Cindy

Sounds like you went through a very rough treatment!

Glad you made it through that entire ordeal.

You seem to have a pretty good attitude, all things considered, which most likely helps you with your daily struggles.

Hope you continue to share, as your experiences may help others.

Glad you joined us here!

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Cindy! I am also new here! Great to know about you.

Comment

Working...
              X