No $ In cures, says Goldman Sachs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No $ In cures, says Goldman Sachs

I’m not generally a big pharma basher. These companies put millions into R&D and years into jumping through hoops for FDA approval. Prices for our DMT’s are outrageous but they’ve got to make a profit to stay in business and continue to search for a cure, right? At least I thought that’s what the goal was, maybe not.

Goldman Sachs issued a report pointing out that for drug companies, curing people is not a good business model. Cash flow is much more reliable for providing treatments, that are ongoing. They point out that the company that invented the cure for hepatitis C has seen its profits plummet as the pool of hepatitis C patients shrinks. I had noticed that the TV commercials have started urging people to get tested because they could have without symptoms instead of proclaiming you could be cured.

Check out WheelchairKamikaze. He’s a really thoughtful blogger who has PPMS. His latest posting goes into more detail and left me kind of stunned. I don’t know why this wasn’t obvious to me before. I worked in the corporate world and am very aware of business models and return on investment.

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
    I’m not generally a big pharma basher. These companies put millions into R&D and years into jumping through hoops for FDA approval. Prices for our DMT’s are outrageous but they’ve got to make a profit to stay in business and continue to search for a cure, right? At least I thought that’s what the goal was, maybe not.

Goldman Sachs issued a report pointing out that for drug companies, curing people is not a good business model. Cash flow is much more reliable for providing treatments, that are ongoing. They point out that the company that invented the cure for hepatitis C has seen its profits plummet as the pool of hepatitis C patients shrinks. I had noticed that the TV commercials have started urging people to get tested because they could have without symptoms instead of proclaiming you could be cured.

Check out WheelchairKamikaze. He’s a really thoughtful blogger who has PPMS. His latest posting goes into more detail and left me kind of stunned. I don’t know why this wasn’t obvious to me before. I worked in the corporate world and am very aware of business models and return on investment.
    Kmallory1
    My Neurologist works for a well known MS research center.
    Every time I ask him about new medication or cure , he believes pharmacutical companies are not supportive of cure for expeñsive diseases like MS as they make steady profit from treatments.

Comment

That is why the funding into research by NMSS in academia, as well as research at centers like Rocky Mountain MS and other clinics/labs, are becoming more important.

A phamaceutical might be interested if they can find a vaccine to prevent MS, as money to be made forever in a huge population. Otherwise, years of treatment versus a one time cure, the financial incentive is years of treatment.

I hate to think that way, as I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But seeing the huge profits pharmaceuticals make, and the steps some take to maximize further, I have become a huge skeptic.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Excellent points on an important topic. I have never thought it was the pharmaceutical companies' duty to find a "cure" and yes there are pros and cons to the business of making money on sensitive issues. I wish someone would find a cure but am also eternally grateful for the medicines we have available despite feeling the products could very likely be sold at a more reasonable cost.

I'm having difficulty coming up with an analogy but I'm thinking something along the lines of expecting the MS neurologists come up with a cure. Not that they would ever wish hideous disease this on anyone but from a financial standpoint it is probably in their personal best interest for us to continue to require care right? Doesn't mean they are avoiding the pursuit of a cure in an effort to keep the money flowing though.

Or expecting tire companies to make a tire that lasts 20 years. What incentive would they have? Now if someone new to the industry came up with it and marketed it then everyone else would have to follow suit but I again wouldn't expect it from the current industry itself.

Seems less unscrupulous when talking about car tires vs. people's lives but not from a business model. I'm not saying its ideal but if there wasn't money to be made on medications we would not have all the choices we have now. I'd guess people with MS 40 years ago would have given an eye tooth for a medication that might possibly stave off progression so in that regard I do think we need to be appreciative.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I´m pinning my hopes on Canada or a European country that pays for its citizen´s healthcare. Their governments are HIGHLY motivated to find a cure because of they have healthcare for all. Spain and Canada are working hard to find the cure- as is Australia. The US, with a for profit system will be the last to the cure party despite the PR of the National MS Society. In a way, it´s similar to the energy sector in which the govt. is protecting the coal powered and nuclear powered electric plants to the detriment of clean renewable energy. The coal and nuclear people have powerful lobbyists working on their behalf to spin the subsidies their way. The big pharma people have lobbyists as well and would intervene should the NIH dare to get close to a cure. The pharma greed is such that makers of generics have been paid NOT to produce the generics. Sigh.

Comment

I have been saying for years that they are not looking for a cure. As someone else said earlier in the thread why get something one time when you can setup a steady income flow with a treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post

Goldman Sachs issued a report pointing out that for drug companies, curing people is not a good business model. ...
              I've believed this for decades. I don't expect a cure for MS. It sounds negative and pessimistic, but, sadly, money and profits rule the world.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

When I was diagnosed 20 years ago, the neurologist told me there would be a cure in five years. Probably because I was a sobbing hot mess and she wanted to give me hope.

Still waiting.

The main “problem” we’ve got is MS can’t be spread (thank the Lord). There’s money in vaccines - much more profitable for drug companies than cures - millions of people would take it, compared to thousands.

A university professor invented Gardisil, a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer, and every teenage girl takes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                  I´m pinning my hopes on Canada or a European country that pays for its citizen´s healthcare. Their governments are HIGHLY motivated to find a cure because of they have healthcare for all. Spain and Canada are working hard to find the cure- as is Australia. The US, with a for profit system will be the last to the cure party despite the PR of the National MS Society. In a way, it´s similar to the energy sector in which the govt. is protecting the coal powered and nuclear powered electric plants to the detriment of clean renewable energy. The coal and nuclear people have powerful lobbyists working on their behalf to spin the subsidies their way. The big pharma people have lobbyists as well and would intervene should the NIH dare to get close to a cure. The pharma greed is such that makers of generics have been paid NOT to produce the generics. Sigh.
                  Maybe there is hope for a cure, from another country.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X