Neurogenic bladder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurogenic bladder ?

Hi, In addition to MS I was recently diagnosed with a neurogenic spastic, flaccid, bladder. I have to perform intermittent self catherization 4x per day because I don't fully empty out. I use disposable catheters. The hardest part for me is finding my urethra. I am a female. I sit down when I do this with a work light, huge mirror, and a measuring container. I can't imagine performing this standing up in the bathroom, or heaven forbid in a public restroom. Any suggestions? I would love to hear feedback.

I just this very second submitted a reply to an older post about self-cathing and your brand new post shows up!

I had a urodynamics test done a few weeks ago and found out that besides having urgency issues I retain about 200ml after thinking I'm done going. So I just went in for training in clean intermittent self-cathing (CIC).

After starting CIC on my own this past Wednesday and I have the SAME problem - not being able to hit the target with consistency. Twice so far I have completely given up after poking around unproductively. Then other times I hit the bullseye no problem. I feel like part of it is not being able to relax, being worried if I'm clean enough, bracing for the sting or discomfort that will come because I'm pretty irritated at this point.

I don't use a mirror because I have no place to prop one and I'm not coordinated enough to try and brace one between my knees while cathing. I just feel around until I'm in the right spot, but it's not as simple as the diagram on the self-help sheet they sent home with me. I get frustrated, but eventually I hope this becomes second nature.

I'll hang out here with you and see if anyone gives us some tips. BTW, I'm horrified at the idea of doing this in a public bathroom as well.
    ~*~ Jeri ~*~

Comment

Reply about self cathing

Originally posted by TickledPink View Post
      I just this very second submitted a reply to an older post about self-cathing and your brand new post shows up!

I had a urodynamics test done a few weeks ago and found out that besides having urgency issues I retain about 200ml after thinking I'm done going. So I just went in for training in clean intermittent self-cathing (CIC).

After starting CIC on my own this past Wednesday and I have the SAME problem - not being able to hit the target with consistency. Twice so far I have completely given up after poking around unproductively. Then other times I hit the bullseye no problem. I feel like part of it is not being able to relax, being worried if I'm clean enough, bracing for the sting or discomfort that will come because I'm pretty irritated at this point.

I don't use a mirror because I have no place to prop one and I'm not coordinated enough to try and brace one between my knees while cathing. I just feel around until I'm in the right spot, but it's not as simple as the diagram on the self-help sheet they sent home with me. I get frustrated, but eventually I hope this becomes second nature.

I'll hang out here with you and see if anyone gives us some tips. BTW, I'm horrified at the idea of doing this in a public bathroom as well.
      Hi,
      Glad to hear that I am not the only one that has the same fears. I have never tried to just feel around until I am in the right spot. I will have to try that. Someone was saying to place alcohol on a glove, and feel around. That one would know when they are in the right spot because they will feel a burning sensation. I am not sure how reliable that information is. Do you stand up over the toilet when cathing? What kind of disposable catheters do you use? I use cure ultra. I am beginning to think that these are to short to use if standing over the toilet.

Comment

When the nurse showed me how to self Cath, she had me sit backward on the toilet, facing the tank. She propped the mirror in the hinge of the toilet lid. The 6” mirror had a flat plastic stand and the mirror would tilt. I could spread my legs apart and adjust the mirror to see the target area.

I’ve seen ads for a leg mirror that straps to your thigh with Velcro, but I’ve never used one. Cathing standing up would be a challenge for a female. Your balance would have to be pretty good, to sort of squat to get your legs apart and open the wipe, lubricant and catheter. Male intermittent catheters are 16” long, so if you want to do it that way there’s an option.

I no longer have to sit backward and use a mirror, I can do it by feel and find it pretty consistently. In a public bathroom I ALWAYS use a speedicath compact. Open a wipe and clean hands, discard. Open another wipe, lay it still folded on my thigh, then open the prelubricated speedicath. Unfold the wipe by shaking by the corner. Wipe, Cath, pitch in the trash.

If I’m in someone’s home I don’t want the discarded stuff sitting exposed in their bathroom trash can. I carry a thin plastic grocery store bag to put it in and tie up to leave in the trash.

Comment

Great Information

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
          When the nurse showed me how to self Cath, she had me sit backward on the toilet, facing the tank. She propped the mirror in the hinge of the toilet lid. The 6” mirror had a flat plastic stand and the mirror would tilt. I could spread my legs apart and adjust the mirror to see the target area.

I’ve seen ads for a leg mirror that straps to your thigh with Velcro, but I’ve never used one. Cathing standing up would be a challenge for a female. Your balance would have to be pretty good, to sort of squat to get your legs apart and open the wipe, lubricant and catheter. Male intermittent catheters are 16” long, so if you want to do it that way there’s an option.

I no longer have to sit backward and use a mirror, I can do it by feel and find it pretty consistently. In a public bathroom I ALWAYS use a speedicath compact. Open a wipe and clean hands, discard. Open another wipe, lay it still folded on my thigh, then open the prelubricated speedicath. Unfold the wipe by shaking by the corner. Wipe, Cath, pitch in the trash.

If I’m in someone’s home I don’t want the discarded stuff sitting exposed in their bathroom trash can. I carry a thin plastic grocery store bag to put it in and tie up to leave in the trash.
          Thanks so much. That was very useful information. I will give it a try and let you know how I do.
          Bluesatin

Comment

Thanks kmallory1 - I'll try sitting backwards with a mirror propped like you mentioned. I feel like it's going to be a challenge because the toilet is very close to the wall and I have hip issues that prevent me from spreading my knees wide.

I did manage to cath standing up one time so far. Mostly I do it sitting down facing forward, but it's hit and miss.

Since yesterday I have attempted to cath 4 times and was unsuccessful each time. Yesterday I got some temporary supplies from Hollister in the mail. A box full of hydrophilic 16" catheters that have a sliding "handle" on them. While these are very slippery and seem like they would be more gentle on my urethra, they are really hard to control. I think I'm inserting it, but it's just an illusion as my hand is sliding up the catheter.

Then, as I attempt to reposition or get a better grip on the catheter, I end up touching the tip to something and having to start over. At this rate, I'm going to run out of supplies before I ever get my Rx.

To complicate things further, I feel like I am having an even harder time getting started when I try to go the normal way. I'm really frustrated. The first couple times were a piece of cake. Now it's almost like I'm in my own head about it and have a mental hurdle to success.

In the stuff the nurse gave me to tide me over, there was a short, less flexible catheter and that seemed the most manageable. There were only 2 of those. All the rest, including the box full that I got from Hollister yesterday, they're all 16" long and unwieldy. I wonder if they think I'm male?? LOL
            ~*~ Jeri ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by bluesatin View Post
              Hi, In addition to MS I was recently diagnosed with a neurogenic spastic, flaccid, bladder. I have to perform intermittent self catherization 4x per day because I don't fully empty out. I use disposable catheters. The hardest part for me is finding my urethra. I am a female. I sit down when I do this with a work light, huge mirror, and a measuring container. I can't imagine performing this standing up in the bathroom, or heaven forbid in a public restroom. Any suggestions? I would love to hear feedback.
              i am going through the exact same thing. sometimes i have no problem finding the urethra and sometimes it is very difficult. i go by touch, i haven't found a mirror very helpful. since i have just gone from 2 to 4 times i now use public bathrooms sometimes. i find if i use the large handicapped ones it is ok. what length catheters are you using?

Comment

Liams

Originally posted by lisams View Post
                i am going through the exact same thing. sometimes i have no problem finding the urethra and sometimes it is very difficult. i go by touch, i haven't found a mirror very helpful. since i have just gone from 2 to 4 times i now use public bathrooms sometimes. i find if i use the large handicapped ones it is ok. what length catheters are you using?
                Hi,
                That's great. I use cure ultra 14 F straight tip. It is pre lubricated. Single use, disposable. A registered nurse is coming to my house for additional training. She said it is easier to go by feel. I will let you know how it goes.
                Thanks
                Blue Satin

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I can't for the life of me figure out how to cath standing up. If you go my touch, doesn't that contaminate that area, possibly causing an infection?
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Reg53- Neurogenic Bladder

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                    Hello Everyone,

I can't for the life of me figure out how to cath standing up. If you go my touch, doesn't that contaminate that area, possibly causing an infection?
                    Hi,
                    Once I have additional training on how to cath standing up by touch, I will let you know.
                    Thanks
                    Blue Satin

Comment

this makes it easier for me

i spend way too much time in the bathroom'
                      my spasticity worsened so my legs do not separate much,.
                      this led to diffferent technique, one really helped!
                      Keep left foot on floor, pull wheelchair close and elevate right foot to seat height,
                      reach between upper thighs to guide.
                      this helps tremendously bullseye most of the time, no look.
                      i have noticed if i use hand sanitizer will get alcohol sting at urethra, too
                      penis envy !!!

Comment

has anyone tried botox for overactive bladder or had an interstim unit placed?

Comment

Originally posted by 04blackcobra View Post
                          has anyone tried botox for overactive bladder or had an interstim unit placed?
                          Hi blackcobra,

You might have better luck getting a response if you start a new thread asking about the two.

I've had Botox for my bladder, but it's been several years now. It did help, but after a year or so of getting them, they stopped being effective for me.

Best of luck
                          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                          X