Need advise about purchasing a scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advise about purchasing a scooter

It has come to that time when I realize I need a scooter to get around better. I do a lot of yard/garden work and pushing my walker out in the yard to reach my gardens is way too hard anymore. Would love to travel up our gravel/dirt long driveway to reach our mailbox and just get around the neighborhood.

I'm thinking of getting a 4 wheel scooter with a higher clearance and sturdy tires. The one I've seen is called E Wheels EW-72 4 Wheel Deluxe Scooter but it's expensive (for me)

My question is will Medicare help pay for some of it? Do I need to get pre-approved through my neuro? This is a first for me, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Also, do any of you have a 4 wheeled scooter that you could recommend for my specific needs? I probably won't use it for city sidewalks as we live in the country. Thanks for your help!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Seasha ~

I don't have experience with scooters, but wanted to let you know that I have purchased a power chair and lift recliner, both barely used, and like brand new, from my local Craig's List. Got great deals on both. There were lots of scooters for sale too.

There were photos of the chairs on the website so I could see what they looked like. Then I corresponded with the sellers via their email, and then spoke on the phone with them to ask more questions, and to be sure they were legit.

And then sent my brother-in-laws to pick up the items.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      My question is will Medicare help pay for some of it? Do I need to get pre-approved through my neuro? This is a first for me, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
      Hi Seasha,

Unfortunately, Medicare as well as some other health insurance companies will not approve a Scooter. A mobility device (scooter, wheelchair, power chair) are only approved for in home use, they don't care if you want or need to leave your home. A scooter is considered as out door use.

If you were to choose one of the other options (power chair, wheelchair) you would need to check which Companies you could use under Medicare. You would need to be evaluated/fitted for the appropriate chair and tons of paperwork will go between your Neurologist, the company providing your chair and the insurance company. Ultimately it's up to the insurance company(Medicare) to approve it.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks for the information, KoKo and Snoopy. Will check with Craig's list and if nothing is available, I'll bite the bullet and use my precious savings. Hopefully, I'll find something not so expensive...

Comment

Hi seasha, 4wheel best for in yard,check the width for door clearance. I got a jazzy 4wheel,for about $500 used it has served me well.Good luck

Comment

Hey Seasha, Medicare paid for an in house scooter. Rep. from co. came out and measured door frames to make sure I could use it in the house. It is not good for yard use. I also have one for the yard I had to purchase myself and I love it. I'm not sure what it's called at the moment. I can post it later. You will love using one in the yard.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

my scooter

Hello! I also like to get out in the yard and do gardening and cruise the roads near my house. I have a great scooter that you might like too. If you Google the name you should get the correct scooter so you can look at specs and talk to the rep who is really nice. I have the Golden Buzzaround XL 4 wheel power mobility scooter. It has power, battery life, headlight, tail lights, and a cell phone holder, 3 inch ground clearance under the deck and more. I do not know about Medicare help with scooters I am sorry. I also have a 3 wheel scooter that also works in the yard but does tip over on uneven ground. I am always happy to answer questions should you have any about scooters and the sales reps are probably more knowledgeable about Medicare questions than I am.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, wheelzip. It looks like a good one!

Just this morning I ordered a The Titan Hummer XL Mobility Scooter by Discover your Mobility! It has a 5" clearance and sounds perfect for my needs. Cane holder, basket, lithium batteries, headlights, good suspension, and even tho it's heavy, it's portable. Tax free and free delivery.

I live in the country with a gravel/ dirt driveway and 3 acres (1 acre of cleared land) to cruise around and get out to my gardens so I really needed the 5" clearance.

I'm really excited to get it! Even tho my husband wanted me to get one for a few years now, I fought the need for it. Now, I am so ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestion, wheelzip. It looks like a good one!

Just this morning I ordered a The Titan Hummer XL Mobility Scooter by Discover your Mobility! It has a 5" clearance and sounds perfect for my needs. Cane holder, basket, lithium batteries, headlights, good suspension, and even tho it's heavy, it's portable. Tax free and free delivery.

I live in the country with a gravel/ dirt driveway and 3 acres (1 acre of cleared land) to cruise around and get out to my gardens so I really needed the 5" clearance.

I'm really excited to get it! Even tho my husband wanted me to get one for a few years now, I fought the need for it. Now, I am so ready!
                  Seasha ~ good for you!

Sounds like a terrific scooter!

I'm sure you will enjoy your time outdoors, cruising and going to your gardens, more than ever.
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yay!

Hi Seasha, That sounds like a great scooter! I know it is a big decision but I am sure that once you get out there on that scooter you will love it! Happy for you! Cheers to getting out and about.

Comment

So glad you ordered one.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

Good for you, Seasha. I've always believed that, when it's time to get a mobility device (or progress to one that offers more assistance), it doesn't make sense to fight it. I'm glad you decided you were ready to get a scooter now. I hope it makes your life easier.
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey Seasha, did you get your scooter? Are you enjoying it?
                          God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                            Hey Seasha, did you get your scooter? Are you enjoying it?
                            Yes, I did! I'm so happy that I'm now able to get to places that I haven't been able to for a couple years or more. I got a Hummer XL Titan (4 wheel)- I think that's what it's called. I even made it down to our local river where we always like to hang out in the summer. Friends and neighbors and my DH spent a day improving the trail for me.

I can now get to my gardens much easier too. It was more than I wanted to pay, but improving ones life and enjoying it more is priceless

Comment

Yes it is priceless! I'm so happy you are able to enjoy the outdoors more.
                              God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                              X