Ocrevus and LDN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocrevus and LDN?

Is anyone on both Ocrevus and LDN? I consulted Skip’s Pharmacy about whether I could take LDN and was told the mechanism of action of Ocrevus suppresses the markers the naltrexone is trying to correct. There is no contraindication in taking both but the belief is the LDN won’t be effective and I won’t get much benefit by taking it with Ocrevus. The decision was mine and my doctor’s.
    Anybody taking both with good results?

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Marilyn

I like your creativity.

Comment

Hi Marilyn,

First of all, the person who advised you does not have an adequate understanding of the mechanism of action of Ocrevus, nor of Tysabri either, for that matter. Let me quote something to google if you wish... "Although the exact way OCREVUS works is not known, it is thought to work in MS by decreasing certain B cells which have the CD20 protein on its surface. Since the CD20 protein is not found on all B cells, other B cells may still be available to help your body fight infection and other illnesses."

Tysabri is another med which affects B-cells; by blocking entrance of B-cells into the brain.

LDN also affects B-cells but in a different way, that being through the opioid growth factor.

Please google, "Low-dose naltrexone depresses B cell production; implications for autoimmunity."

Marilyn, please do google that, won't you? There are a couple of scientific articles referenced you may want to read. If you do keep scrolling and reading you can understand why there are a great number of MSers who take LDN as a stand alone treatment for MS. I can't say that I blame them. There is a good deal of scientific evidence that LDN may be an effect treatment for MS. Plus, LDN has minimal side affects. Not one serious side affect has ever been reported in medical literature that I could find. And, oh yes, LDN makes the majority of people feel better; please see Dr. Turel's research (Low Dose Naltrexone for Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis: A Retrospective Chart Review of Safety and Tolerability.) which I posted in the LDN thread. A great many of those taking LDN in that study were on approved DMTs, btw. Many took LDN concurrent with their DMT and were just fine doing so.

Consider this of LDN compared to the approved DMTs for MS... LDN does not make you sick... it makes you feel better by increasing endorphins and very likely approves your overall health instead of destroying it as many MS meds do. LDN exhibited evidence of having benefit against 31 types of cancer in vitro. (google, LDN 31 cancers Dr. Zagon).

My wife took LDN and Tysabri concurrently. She now takes LDN and Ocrevus. She believes doing so is beneficial and so do I. There is no incompatibility that I can discern.

I actually have to control myself from describing how incredibly ignorant and damaging it is for anyone who would describe LDN as working opposite of certain unnamed "markers" in Ocrevus or Tysabri. I am very skeptical of those lacking personal experience or who render scientific judgement minus the scientific evidence upon which they have based their judgement. An opinion regarding the incompatibility of LDN and Ocrevus is unsupported by any scientific evidence I have read or heard of. I have read and studied exhaustively LDN, Tysabri, and Ocrevus. I find no reason why LDN would not be effective with either of those meds.

Some MSers have successfully taken both Tysabri and Ocrevus concurrent with LDN and continue doing so. My wife is one of those.

Good luck to you, Marilyn. My prayers and best wishes are always with you.

Comment

Working...
      X