Can’t get through testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can’t get through testing

I’ve always had an issue with dizziness/vertigo among other symptoms. I have seen multiple neirologists and have had multiple MRIS but have neve never actually gotten a diagnosis
    Last year, I was in bed for 4 months with vertigo. It was a nightmare. I now live in constant fear of a recurrance of that sort. I need an MRI but I’m still having dizziness and feeling off balance and I have not been able to get through the test. I also know that MRIs can cause dizziness and I’m so fearful of another long episode, I don’t know how I will ever find out what is going on.

I’m also unsure whether an open MRI will show enough detail. None of the facilites in my area offer either the prism glasses, to see out of the machine or music, even for a closed MRI. Feeling dizzy, with no accommodations-I can’t get through it. Even an open MRI with your head ina cage requires something. It’s ironic that medical facilities don’t cater to people who don’t feel well. I just don’t know what to do, so I go on living in fear.

Sorry to hear. My understanding is the open MRI magnets are not as powerful and may not show smaller lesions that the normal one does.

Have you taken any if the anti-vertigo meds? They worked some for me some, just knocked me out. It is possible they could help you get thru the tests.

Gave you tried vestibular therapy? I was fortunate and it helped.

Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

The vestibular problems you're experiencing are by far my most debilitating symptoms. They are absolutely frightening and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I gave up driving because of it. I'm so so sorry for what you're going through, I know it's a nightmare and I hope you have a network of support to help you through it.

I've had 7 MRIs since January and I can only tell you from my experience that it did NOT make my vertigo worse. I have a mild claustrophobia too, but it wasn't too bad. Each machine I've been in has a thick vertical blue stripe going through the tube. The stripe made it easier for me to focus on to not feel dizzy or sick.

The absolute most important thing for you to do is ask for really good ear protection. I can't stress this enough. In fact I suggest buying your own ear plugs for the MRI. If it's an older machine, they can get loud.

The last thing you can do is practice breathing days before your appointment. On the day of and right before you go in for the MRI, you can try the "4-7-8" breathing exercise (google for more info). You exhale as much as possible, then take a slow breath in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, and slowly exhale for 8 seconds. Do that a few times and it should relax you.

Comment

Getting thru an MRI

HI

I'v been thru many MRI's and have terrible claustrophobia.
        The last time I had one I did it in a closed one cause my Nero wasn;t happy with the quality of the open ones (and actually found lesions in my brain that went undetected for 3 1/5 years)
        this one had a small mirror above the head that allowed you to see out of the room where the tec's were sitting and I had a easier time cause of that then in the open one's

also you always can get a perception for something to knock you out
        when I was in the hospital I was in terrible pain (one night I jumped up and hit the ceiling with my wheelchair as I was buckled in cause I was jerked out a few times from pain)
        when they mentioned an MRI I asked to be sedated as there was no way I would make it thru with my pain. so the doctor prescribe something but they came to take me earlier and I didn't get it and of course they couldn't see anything as I was jumping around.
        so they needed to do it over I asked the doc for a dose of Adavan took a pill half hour before and was out for 4 hours. (I haven't slept for more than about an hour a night for month because of the pain) I don't remember anything and they got good images

Comment

Working...
        X