My first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first time

Good morning. This is my first time on this thread. I have read a lot about MS since my mother in law passed away. The thing I can not find is any information on rapid MS. When I say rapid, my mother in law was diagnosed in January and passed away in July. Has anyone else had this experience? She had no symptoms prior to January and died 7 months later. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am so sorry for your family's loss. There is a variant of Primary Progressive MS (PPMS) that is called malignant MS, or sometimes Marburg MS. My understanding is that it is extremely rare, but is characterized by very rapid progression as you described and affects life expectancy.

If you are concerned from a genetic/hereditary angle, maybe you can discuss with her neurologist? MS itself does not have a straight genetic link, there are other factors.

I have never met anyone or their family that were part of this diagnosis. So I am really not much help. Once again, my deepest condolences. I can only imagine how difficult an experience it was for your family.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm sending my condolences to you and your family as well. Malignant MS, Marburg MS is also called Fulminate MS or Agressive MS. Sadly, there is little that can be done and it is a rare form. Here is some information about it - https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0423022620

So very sorry for your loss, Kwhiting.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X