Gabapentin and alcohol? 🍷

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin and alcohol? 🍷

It’s our 14th anniversary trip this weekend to a B&B and my favorite Italian restaurant. I’m SO excited to be taking a trip that doesn’t revolve around MS (doctor visit, labs, scans, etc)— just a nice weekend away!

However, I wondered if anyone else has a drink or two while taking Gabapentin. I just started taking it about 2-3 weeks ago. I’m not a heavy drinker... maybe a glass of wine every month, but I would love to have a martini or maybe two glasses of wine this weekend if I felt like it. I just don’t want to experience adverse effects because of it. Is it better to skip the meds if I know I’ll be drinking with dinner? Is that negligent? Or err on the side of caution and just not drink?

Thanks for reading and offering any advice! Much appreciated, as always!
    DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
    - 2 Corinthians 4:16

If I'm going to be taking a med regularly, in addition to side effects -- I look at how well I'll be able to drink on it.

Never been on gabapentin, though.

I'd suggest taking it slowly, and listen to your body as much as you can. For example, if I'm at a bar, I try to gauge myself on the last restroom trip I made and how well that went. If I'm not comfortable with it, it's time to go home.

Comment

I would call my doctor to ask about this, they seem really comfortable talking about things like this, especially special occasion drink or two. They will probably tell you the best case scenario and the what ifs, if you decide to have that drink.

Have a Happy Anniversary!

Comment

I have been on gabapentin for years and recently switched to Pregabalin. I occasionally have a glass of wine. I need to only take a few sips, about half a glass before you start feeling the effects.
        Rich

Comment

Hi smalltowngirl,
          I have been on gabapentin for years, up to 2400mg a day. I have 2-3 scotch on the rocks or margaritas a month... 1 at a time with no problems.

Happy Anniversary and have a great time !!
          Linda

Comment

Thank you all!! I'll take it slow and don't even plan on drinking much (if at all). I just wanted to know what to expect if the occasion arose this weekend.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

Comment

My mom was in it. Her neuro said as your doctor, I should say no. But as a person, the occasional drink or two is fine. Made her promise not to drive though. So she would have her couple glasses of wine or a mixed drink on holidays and special events. We never noticed any odd side effects.

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your trip and forget about MS for the weekend.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

HI

How did it go for you?
                I'm on gabapentin now for almost 4 years at 1200mg 3x a day.
                I tried a drop of whisky once and immediately felt like I was flying high so didn't tutch alcohol for a long time but recently I had a few glasses of wine and had no issue so I don't know if there is a difference between whisky and wine or I'm just on the meds for longer and my body reacts differently

Comment

Thanks, y’all! I had half a glass on Sangria with dinner Friday night. We went to a comedy club tonight and I asked the bartender to make my drink weak. I had a Tom Collins and drank all of it. I didn’t notice any difference. Again, I didn’t drink heavily (and I drank slow, also had water). Other than feeling a little *blah* now from the alcohol, I can’t tell a difference.

Comment

Sounds like a good/fun anniversary !
                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X