Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can ALL types of flares heal the same without IVSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can ALL types of flares heal the same without IVSM?

Hello,
    I haven't had a flare in quite some time, but this is a flare similar in location and symptoms as a previous one that I didn't do IVSM for and was better after like 6 weeks, although this one is more severe as far as walking. This started as numbness that spread from one leg to both from the waist down. After a week or so, the numbness is gone, but my legs, especially my left, are so weak and like stiff that I feel like I look like a toddler walking. Of course, my neuro is on vacation this week, but her MA said she'd ask another dr and get me set up for a 3 day IVSM. Tbh, I'd rather hold off, at least until I talked to my own doc. Is it possible for a flare that affects mobility in this way heal the same treated or untreated with IVSM? Thank you.

Hi SonyaK,

Yes, exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up) can resolve without steroids. Steroids many (or may not) shorten an exacerbation but they do not change the out come of the disease.

my legs, especially my left, are so weak and like stiff that I feel like I look like a toddler walking.
    Physical Therapy(PT) and exercise can be helpful in regaining mobility, improving strength and helping stiffness.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply! My neuro's office called to say my neuro wanted to check and see how I was doing and at my request will tell her that I'm going to wait this one out and I'll check back with them after she's back in the office if necessary (like in case I need PT). The MA was very understanding.

I've never really done PT with a flare before. Is that something that is started after the flare has seemingly resolved or can it begin while still in the midst of a flare? Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by SonyaK View Post
        I've never really done PT with a flare before. Is that something that is started after the flare has seemingly resolved or can it begin while still in the midst of a flare? Thank you again!
        My mobility is effected by exacerbations, I can barely walk. I start by walking around the inside of my home several times a day, that is all I could do and was my PT Little by little I extended the distance I would walk. This was a very slow frustrating process.

I do this as soon as I realized I am having an exacerbation and it worked each exacerbation. You would need to use your own judgement, based on how you are feeling/doing, to decide when you think it's best to start working on your mobility. There is no rule on trying to do mild exercise during an exacerbation or after, just listen to your body and don't over do it.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the mobility aspect of exacerbations. This helps me a lot! Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X