Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS: Is there a spectrum?

Hello

I was wondering if MS is a spectrum. I am going to the MS center at Mt. Sinai on March 19. Is there any specific questions I should ask. I have just been feeling misersble and extremely numb on my right side. Then it will feel like a sharp shooting pain. Now, my left hand is starting to get numb.

Hi TammiS,

Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS) which incudes the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. The lesions this disease can cause can be found anywhere within the CNS.

Many other conditions, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, some medications, and mental health disorders can cause symptoms similar to MS. Since there is no symptom exclusive to MS and no single test by it's self that can give a definitive diagnosis of MS all other possible causes for a person's symptoms must be ruled out.

From a previous post of yours you have had a brain MRI which showed one lesion. The MRI is a great diagnostic tool but results are not a diagnosis, it will require more testing and ruling in/out of possible other causes.

This disease has a diagnostic criteria, The McDonald Criteria:
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...o-Speed-the-Di

Other conditions to rule out:
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ns-to-Rule-Out

Information about other conditions mistaken for MS:
    https://www.everydayhealth.com/multi...ple-sclerosis/

Best wishes on your up coming appointment.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you for the information. Is there any specific questions I should ask the MS doctor?

Comment

MS lesions in the brain tend to appear in specific areas, and sometimes, have certain forms. So one question would be if the lesion you have could be the result of MS.

If so, then I would want to know what tests need to be run to either rule out other causes or support MS?

I would think a spinal MRI would be warranted to see if any lesions there or if there are structural issues not related to MS that maybe causing your symptoms.

I would want to walk away knowing what my next steps are to find a cause for the symptoms and if anything can help alleviate the symptoms. Good luck.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for the information. I am just so fustrated with these symptoms and the way they come and then seem to get better but then come back.

i see an MS doctor from MT. Sinai on Monday.

Comment

TammiS,
            What started things for me was my vision became
            blurry and then cleared up. I have exacerbating remitting MS which presented itself with in my 20s about 6 attacks per year. I was put on steroids mainly prednisone IV. My attacks would stop but would leave me with a little more disability. Visual it would be a staircase, attack then remission.
            On a really bright note you have a lot of great MS drugs to pick from. I have had MS for over 35 years now.
            Rich

Comment

Thank you everyone.

I created a list of symptoms that I have to bring to the MS center. Three more days to go before going, I hope I get some help I am just getting fustrated.

Comment

Working...
              X