Is there an assistive device for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an assistive device for this?

When my husband and I go to bed at night, he is unable to lift his legs up on the bed, so I lift them for him. His feet are very swollen; having to stay in wheelchair for a big part of the day, and they are very heavy. I was wondering if anyone knows of something that could lift his legs for him instead of me. Of course I will do it as long as I can (having MS also) but I thought it a good idea to start looking for other options. Please share and I will appreciate it!

legs swollen

I have been living with MS for around 40 years now and for years I have been wearing compression hose for my legs. If I don't wear them my calfs will swell in size and hurt like heck. I have worn them for so long that I have no hair on my legs.
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by CPGONE View Post
      When my husband and I go to bed at night, he is unable to lift his legs up on the bed, so I lift them for him. His feet are very swollen; having to stay in wheelchair for a big part of the day, and they are very heavy. I was wondering if anyone knows of something that could lift his legs for him instead of me. Of course I will do it as long as I can (having MS also) but I thought it a good idea to start looking for other options. Please share and I will appreciate it!
      I have the same problem (with lifting my legs up onto the bed).

There are various leg lifter devices on Amazon - and I probably have purchased most of them - and none work for me.

My issue is that I don't have the arm strength to use them (very little use/strength on my right side, and left side not at full strength either), coupled with the fact that my legs become very uncooperative.

So I purchased a lift recliner (like new, barely used) that I found on Craig's list, that I sleep on now.

I keep on looking for a leg lifter that will do the job. When I find one, I want to purchase an electric hospital type bed that I can raise/lower the height of the entire bed, and also raise the top half in order to help me sit up and get out of bed.

If I find a leg lifter that works, I'll post and let you know.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you for your responses and suggestions!

Comment

I’ve got the same problem. My husband lifts my legs, and he’s having shoulder problems. I’m getting a referral to an occupational therapist to see what we can do.

I wonder if there’s some kind of lift like a Hoyer that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
            I’ve got the same problem. My husband lifts my legs, and he’s having shoulder problems. I’m getting a referral to an occupational therapist to see what we can do.

I wonder if there’s some kind of lift like a Hoyer that would work?
            We do have hoyer lifts for the whole body when he falls, but that is a good question about the legs.

Comment

I was Googling leg lifts to see if there was anything new out there. There is a great device, but it’s in the UK. Look at Theraposture Leg Lift. Is this not just perfect?

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
                I was Googling leg lifts to see if there was anything new out there. There is a great device, but it’s in the UK. Look at Theraposture Leg Lift. Is this not just perfect?
                Looks like it would certainly do the job!

Have you seen this one that inflates? Even has an MS patient in the description of the product. Costs a lot (naturally!).

https://mangarhealth.com/us/bed/at-home/leglifter/
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The Theraposture lift looks great!
                  I did find this alternative: https://www.caregiverproducts.com/ma...caAoIxEALw_wcB

Another option, though certainly not inexpensive, is to get an overhead track system that would put him into bed. One of my friends has a system that goes from the bedroom into the bathroom. The user rides in a sling, much like a hoyer sling, though most people feel a lot more secure in the overhead system. Here is what I'm talking about: https://www.surehands.com/products/c...saAkXLEALw_wcB

Keep in mind that when purchasing durable medical equipment that you want to plan for your future, not just the needs that you have today. It does save money in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                  X