Clomipramine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clomipramine

Has anyone heard of this drug or used it for progressive forms of MS? A friend of mine that's husband has MS had come across this drug but we really don't know anything about it. If anybody could share I would really appreciate it.

I came across this article - https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...n-early-study/

"Clomipramine, an approved antidepressant, shows potential in treating people with progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) — a disease form with few treatments — by protecting nerves from various processes thought to underly progressive MS, early research shows.......

In the acute EAE model, early treatment with clomipramine completely suppressed clinical signs of the disease, with the therapy reducing inflammation and microglial activation (the activation of specific immune cells in the central nervous system), and preserving nerve cells.

In the two mouse models of chronic EAE, the MOG-EAE and the immunized Biozzi ABH mouse (known to resemble more closely human secondary progressive MS), researchers found that clomipramine therapy given at symptom onset also led to a significant reduction of clinical severity, namely in the degree of paralysis.

No EAE model fully captures all aspects of progressive MS, however, so the therapy needs further testing in humans.

“Based on promising preclinical data, our long-term objective is to study clomipramine as well as other therapeutics selected in the screening process on patients in clinical studies,” Faissner said.

Since clomipramine is approved “there is ample clinical experience regarding [its] potential side effects,” meaning that researchers can start clinical trials to assess its efficacy in MS more quickly, skipping the Phase 1 trials in healthy volunteers essential to determining a potential therapy’s tolerance."
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

So this seems to be something promising. How long has this information been available? That this drug has been available yet no specific clinical trials for MS are in the pipeline, seems criminal to me! Just a thought !

Comment

Clomipramine

I understand that this an approved antidepressant. Do you know if this has been prescribed off label to MS patients? I absolutely hate it that with my husband having SPMS that there is nothing that he can take that would be helpful. I hate to see him getting worse and worse. Thank you so much for the replies!

Comment

Working...
        X