Low back pain and MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low back pain and MS?

Anyone else have severe lower back pain while standing or walking? I am not able to stand or walk more than about 5 minutes before the pain starts. The longer I stand/walk, the more painful my lower back gets.

I have never had any sort of back issues my whole life. This only started a couple of years ago right after my abdominal surgery. I had to have an epidural in my back and my back has never been the same since then. So it was easy for me to blame it on that. The doctor who did my surgery told me it was normal for my back to be painful right after surgery and that it would just take some time to recover. Well it’s been over two years now with no relief.

My neuro told me it’s not MS related. The last mri I had was done on my brain and spine just to see what was going on with my back. The only thing the mri results showed was some mild arthritis in my lower back area. If I’m 35 and already having severe back issues, I’d hate to see what will happen down the road.

It just seems too coincidental to me that I’ve never had back issues before MS or my epidural, yet neither one is the cause of my back pain? But I’m no doctor so what do I know?

Just curious if anyone else is having lower back pain while standing/walking? Guess this is just something I’m gonna have to learn to live with. Could be worse I suppose...

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
    ― Helen Keller

Hi ladybug162.

Do you exercise? It's important to exercise to maintain core body strength. If you don't have core strength it can put a strain on your lower back as core body strength keeps your body aligned. A Physical Therapist would be very helpful to get you started on the right kind of exercises for core strength.

Abdominal muscles is part of your core strength.

When you had your spine MRI did that include the lower back (Lumbar)?

The way you walk can also put a strain on your lower back, again, core body strength is needed.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello, I have severe lower back pain also.It feels like someone hit me,steroids injections have helped for awhile. I too can’t stand stand up straight.Excersize does help some.Sorry I couldn’t be of help

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
        Hello, I have severe lower back pain also.It feels like someone hit me,steroids injections have helped for awhile. I too can’t stand stand up straight.
        Carlyle, have you had an x-ray or MRI of the Lumbar spine (lower back)? Have you received a diagnosis for your lower back pain such as herniated/bulging discs, spinal stenosis, or something else.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Hi ladybug162.

Do you exercise? It's important to exercise to maintain core body strength. If you don't have core strength it can put a strain on your lower back as core body strength keeps your body aligned. A Physical Therapist would be very helpful to get you started on the right kind of exercises for core strength.

Abdominal muscles is part of your core strength.

When you had your spine MRI did that include the lower back (Lumbar)?

The way you walk can also put a strain on your lower back, again, core body strength is needed.

I used to walk/jog on my treadmill daily, but it’s become too painful. At first I’d suffer through the pain thinking that if I could just strengthen my muscles that it would get better. It hasn’t gotten better though.

I will mention physical therapy at my next doctors appointment and see if my doctor can refer me. I’m willing to try anything at this point.

My mri did include the lumbar spine as well. Everything was normal aside from some mild arthritis.

I’m starting to think my back issues had a lot to do with the type of cut they did for my abdominal surgery. What was supposed to be a small horizontal cut turned out to be a vertical cut from my naval down to my pelvis since the cyst was a lot larger than the doctor thought.

Anyway, I appreciate your advice. I will certainly ask about the PT!

― Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
            Hello, I have severe lower back pain also.It feels like someone hit me,steroids injections have helped for awhile. I too can’t stand stand up straight.Excersize does help some.Sorry I couldn’t be of help
            I am sorry you’re suffering with this as well. Don’t be sorry as you did help. It helps to know I’m not alone. Hope it gets better for you. Keep updating on how you’re doing!

― Helen Keller

Comment

Back painQ

Snoopy,yes I had mri and x-ray,was told part of m.s.

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug162 View Post
                I’m starting to think my back issues had a lot to do with the type of cut they did for my abdominal surgery. What was supposed to be a small horizontal cut turned out to be a vertical cut from my naval down to my pelvis since the cyst was a lot larger than the doctor thought.
                I wonder if your surgery plus recovery time and loss of muscle tone is the problem. The direction of the incision shouldn't have any bearing. The reason I say this is I had surgery when I was 18 months old, the incision went from just below the belly button down to the pelvis (vertical). I had 2 C-sections, my Dr. used the old incision so I would not have another scar going horizontal.

It can take as little as 2 weeks to lose muscle tone. If you don't have core strength the walking will be difficult as core strength helps support your body. PT can show you how to rebuild your core strength.

I will certainly ask about the PT!
                Glad to hear that I am a strong believer in PT and exercise and have seen it do amazing things for me.

Carlyle, the reason I asked about back problems is it's not common to treat MS with steroid injections, that's used for joint problems, arthritis, and other things. I get steroid injections for non-MS reasons and those injections do not effect my MS symptoms in anyway.

It's possible for spasticity to cause a problem in movement and can cause pain. Spasticity would not be treated with steroid injections but with muscle relaxers.
                Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Hi Ladybug162.

I can totally relate to the lower back pain after 5 minutes of standing or walking!!

I have had rapid deterioration of physical abilities over the past 4 years and most of the weakness I experience is within the lower back and hip muscles. I can't stand for more than 5 min either!!

My lower back pain was accompanied by issues with my left leg. ( foot drop, calf muscle atrophy and knee buckling) therefore I was assured it was a bulging L5 disc that was creating these problems. I could barely walk, and severe back muscle spasms became agony.

So I had the back surgery, went through pt, but still was having trouble walking. I couldn't tell if the back pain had gone! Maybe a little better, not as annoying anyway. My employer at the time had very stringent criteria that required I pass a FCE to come back to work. I couldn't do it, man I tried real hard, but my balance gave me away....SO

I went back to the drawing board...I started a core exercise routine. I found (Sean Vigue Fitness) on Youtube. I studied a lot of his ideas for core strengthening and I devised my own plan. I did my routine 3 days/wk using ab,lower back and hip flexor/abductor exercises and within 4 weeks I noticed a significant difference. I was able to find another job and work another 3 years before things went down hill again..

I am rambling beyond my point (ms cognitive stuff) My point is that maybe you could find a structured core strenthening routine that may reduce your lower back pain so that you can possibly try and find some (normality) in life.

The truth of the matter is, core strengthening is important to everyone. Especially people like us!

Best Regards

Rob

Comment

Back pain while laying down, sitting,standing

Originally posted by ladybug162 View Post
                    Anyone else have severe lower back pain while standing or walking? I am not able to stand or walk more than about 5 minutes before the pain starts. The longer I stand/walk, the more painful my lower back gets.

I have never had any sort of back issues my whole life. This only started a couple of years ago right after my abdominal surgery. I had to have an epidural in my back and my back has never been the same since then. So it was easy for me to blame it on that. The doctor who did my surgery told me it was normal for my back to be painful right after surgery and that it would just take some time to recover. Well it’s been over two years now with no relief.

My neuro told me it’s not MS related. The last mri I had was done on my brain and spine just to see what was going on with my back. The only thing the mri results showed was some mild arthritis in my lower back area. If I’m 35 and already having severe back issues, I’d hate to see what will happen down the road.

It just seems too coincidental to me that I’ve never had back issues before MS or my epidural, yet neither one is the cause of my back pain? But I’m no doctor so what do I know?

Just curious if anyone else is having lower back pain while standing/walking? Guess this is just something I’m gonna have to learn to live with. Could be worse I suppose...
                    Hello,
                    I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. I to have a lot of back pain while standing and sitting. It seems to be a bit better since I have been doing physical therapy.

Although, I have extreme back pain when laying down. I have had relapsing remitting MS since 1998.

Hope you feel better soon.
                    Blue Satin

Comment

Thanks guys. I’m sorry you all are struggling with this or other issues as well.

My neuro originally wanted to refer me to pain management, but I’d rather not get hooked on pain pills. I take enough meds as it is.

I’ve been looking up different exercises to strengthen those muscles to see if it would help. I also know I need to lose weight and get into better shape. I feel like my back would feel so much better if I could just get some weight off.

I start my second job soon and have been looking for a possible third job to work on weekends. Ones that have better health insurance. My current health insurance does not cover weight loss surgery which I’d like to have done so I’m looking into jobs whose health insurance covers it.

I just hope I don’t get burnt out too quickly. I’m already always exhausted no matter how much sleep I get. And now that my neuro increased the dosage of my migraine preventative I’m constantly feeling hung over.

I’m just thankful that I have it as easy as I do. So many are much worse off. So I am very grateful.

God bless you all. ❤️

― Helen Keller

Comment

Lower back pain

I found this group on Facebook called MS gym and the guy has a stretch for lower back pain and it works. I would have back pain so bad that I would fall to the floor. The first time I did the exercises I was able to move around without pain

Comment

There is a group on Facebook “MS gym” you can join. The guy has an exercise for lower back pain and it works. I had pain that was so bad that I would drop to the floor but after doing the stretches the pain started to subside

Comment

Originally posted by rjoneslaw View Post
                            There is a group on Facebook “MS gym” you can join. The guy has an exercise for lower back pain and it works. I had pain that was so bad that I would drop to the floor but after doing the stretches the pain started to subside
                            Thanks so very much. I will look into that. I am glad that the exercise stretches helped and your pain started to diminish.

Comment

Working...
                            X